It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New species of shrimp discovered in New Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Desert Shrimp

I didn't think that this was even possible.
edit on 18-4-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Nice find! Sounds like they live in a water environment though so I wouldn't call them desert shrimp. I was expecting to see something scampering across the dunes. I've been spelunking in some of those New Mexico caves before. I will keep my eye out for new critters next time I visit the land of enchantment. All kinds of interesting things that live down in there. Interesting, isolated environments give life to interesting new species. And they tell me evolutionary niches are a crock!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
Nice find! Sounds like they live in a water environment though so I wouldn't call them desert shrimp. I was expecting to see something scampering across the dunes. I've been spelunking in some of those New Mexico caves before. I will keep my eye out for new critters next time I visit the land of enchantment. All kinds of interesting things that live down in there. Interesting, isolated environments give life to interesting new species. And they tell me evolutionary niches are a crock!

I used the word desert because they were found, well, in the desert, and nowhere near the ocean.

Sorry about the confusion.

But yeah! I wonder if at one time there was an ocean for them to be in.

then the ocean receaded and trapped them.

Could this prove the existance of Nesse in a sence?

Being trapped?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

The possibilities are endless. All kinds of aquatic dinosaurs fossilized in my home state (now a desert). And to think, fur trees grew in Las Vegas only a few hundred years ago and "migrated" up north where they didn't grow until even more recently. The landscapes change so dramatically in so little time. We only get a quick glimpse.

I hope I don't need to provide links to back this up! I'm still new to ATS and haven't gotten used to posting links for everything I type haha
edit on 19-4-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: fixed something

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Neat! Nature always has something up its sleeve.

Considering the existence of other things known to live in caves such as various invertebrates, salamanders, and fish, I've always wondered what may be lurking down in those aquifers people tap into for their wells. I think it would be cool to go snooping about with a miniature robot sub sent down various well bores to see if there are other unknown critters swimming around down there. (Which makes me wonder if anybody has been doing it yet.) There's likely a lot of unknown species around the world that dwell in such environments and remain undiscovered as nobody has bothered looking for them.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Aawww, that thing looks LOVELY!

Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join