It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish Minister in race row

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The pictures pretty much say it all.

A load of white people cutting up an african woman , eating it and laughing their asses off at the same time.

Hilarious stuff ????

and then this is the image sent out??? a cake in the image of an african woman , cut up , with a big knife sitting beside it. horrific image.

This was supposed to highlight the issue of female genital mutilation.

They boviously made a complete mess of this. What the hell was the person thinking who came up with this???

People are now calling for the minister to resign.

The first picture just says it all. You really have to wonder how people can be so stupid.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

To be honest i think you are over reacting slightly regarding this.

No, it isn't in the best of taste but then it did have honourable intentions. I don't really see the problem to be honest.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
FFS, female circumcision is hardly a laughing matter but ........

Misguided?
I'd say so.

Warrants the Ministers resignation?
I don't think so.

And the 'artist' whose idea it was etc is Black.

What I don't get is he was male and apparently it's his 'head' on the 'woman'?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

To be honest i think you are over reacting slightly regarding this.

No, it isn't in the best of taste but then it did have honourable intentions. I don't really see the problem to be honest.

I don't know what to think anymore.

I do apologise if I overacted in your eyes. So sorry.( I did just say it was a bit of a mess and bloody stupid. I am not calling for resignations. That is over reacting now? )

I am off to bake a cake of an african woman and serve it up to all my white friends. We shall all have a jolly good laugh at it too.

edit on 18-4-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

it serves a point and gets the message across. it does what it intended to do.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Look, not everything is racist because it is done by white people (or vice versa). As already mentionned, this was to raise awareness about female circumcision. This is very much largely an African problem - as such, the depiction of an African woman is actually entirely correct.

I cannot believe there is such an outcry over this, i really can't. If they were being blatantly racist then yes, i would have a serious problem. However, as it concerns the issue it does and was made by an person of colour, what is the problem?

edit on 18-4-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

I said over reacting because of the way you had typed your response - lots of question marks and drawing attention that there is a knife in one picture. Just to point out, you see lots of pictures of cakes with knives in them.....

Could you maybe explain why this offends you? Especially when considering all of the above? Not ridiculing your opinion by the way......

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

The imagery used was extremely stupid.

The minister invovled comes across as very naive participating in this debacle. Ministers have people who work for them that should always be on the lookout for potential PR disasters.

I thought it was a PR mess. I stated it was a mess and ill thought out.

You accuse me of over-reacting? Why?

There is a massive outcry for this woman to resign.

THe outcry has nothing got to do with me. HONESTLY

I am genuinely sorry for offending you if you believe I over reacted.

I now also genuinely apologise for been sarcastic at the end of my response.

I am honestly so sorry.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Please see my edited post above.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I said over reacting because of the way you had typed your response - lots of question marks and drawing attention that there is a knife in one picture. Just to point out, you see lots of pictures of cakes with knives in them.....

Could you maybe explain why this offends you? Especially when considering all of the above? Not ridiculing your opinion by the way......

i am so sorry for using too many question marks. i thought it was just exclamation marks that people needed to be weary of. Didn't know question marks were off-limits too.

I have never seen a cake of a human body before.

I am guessing why there is an outcry is how the image looks of a white woman cutting into a cake in the image of an african woman and everyone gathered is having a laugh about it.
THe picture really dosen't come across in the best light.

As you now want an explanation why I am offened, could you please show me where I said I was offened.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I gathered you were offended from the tone of your responses - as i cannot see you, that is usually how people gauge reaction over the internet.....
However, if i have been putting words into your mouth then i apologise.

As to cakes, about 6 weeks ago i went to wedding and, shock horror, a black friend ate the white guy on top of the wedding cake. Should i now report him as a potential New Black Panther? Should i be outraged at a black person eating a white person? Should i call his work and ask for his boss to make him resign?

That is no more stupid than the outcry over this.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
And as to a PR mess, well who cares? That is exactly what is wrong with politics these days, people care all about PR and not about actual policies.

Frankly, i do not care how people come across. What i do care about is what people believe and how they act on those beliefs.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

And as to a PR mess, well who cares?

Seems lots of people.

Race row as Swedish minister cuts cake shaped like African woman

The spokesman added that the installation also had "cannibalistic" overtones and highlighted Adelsohn Liljeroth's "lack of judgement".

"Her participation, as she laughs, drinks, and eats cake, merely adds to the insult against people who suffer from racist taunts and against women affected by circumcision."

www.theweek.co.uk...

"A racist spectacle": Swedish culture minister slammed for 'black face' cake

www.mirror.co.uk...

This story is getting a lot of coverage. PR is important whether you care or not about it. PR mistakes have serious consequences.

Again , I am just reporting the stories that are across the media outlets. I did not write them.

top topics

join