It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Alert System on Android (what are they not telling us)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
So interesting thing i found today.....

My android did a new update, and along with a huge amount of other bloat ware that was downloaded.....

i found this.....

A simple Icon that says "Alerts"

Under this Icon are categories.......

all are able to be checked on or off except one which is mandatory........."presidential alerts"

the rest are Extreme alert- Extreme threat to life and property

Severe alert-severe threat to life and property

and Amber alert..

What are they trying to tell us........it really bothered me with this mandatory "presidential" alert system..

This hasnt been implemented before to my knowledge......

Does this not creep anyone else out? What do they know that we dont?

edit on 18-4-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
That is quite weird.. Can you get screenshots? I don't have an Andriod

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GaVinCe
That is quite weird.. Can you get screenshots? I don't have an Andriod

lol well im not sure i can take "screen shots" on my phone? not only this.......i cannot uninstall it
edit on 18-4-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
weird, I never even noticed it.

I don't pay attention to my alerts.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

This is what you get when the FCC, FEMA and the DHS "collaborate" on a "project".

Commercial Mobile Alert System

Not really a new thing, but it's finally getting implemented on the public and people take notice to the new "feature" their mobile device now has.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I have a fully updated Android, am logged into Google and have no such Alerts icon as you.

Are you sure it was Google that forced this on you, and it doesn't go with some other optional app you are running?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Can you be more specific? What device do you have, Carrior, Android version ...etc.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Nashville? cool. I always wanted to see at least one Grand Ole' Opry. Anyways. I don't live in the US and I do not have this mandatory alert system, so I'm guessing it is US only, or US+provinces. And If I had, I would do everything in the world to force-delete it. No one, not even the king of the Anglo-American Empire himself can put crap on my gadgets I do not want. I would have rebelled by now, but I guess you butternuts know it better than me.(and by this, I did not mean this in an offensive way. I honour the people of Tennessee. me forefathers came from Virginia btw)
Keep the colours a flyin'.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I'm sure you can delete the app if you root your droid.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I also have an android...updated I'm pretty sure...and don't have this either...where can I find this info on my phone?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

I have a fully updated Android, am logged into Google and have no such Alerts icon as you.

Are you sure it was Google that forced this on you, and it doesn't go with some other optional app you are running?

yess sir its an icon that says Emergency Alerts........im running with the android razer

Just came with the update, i havent really added any apps to my phone......

If you look in your programs list it should be there

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

Do you think maybe it is only a verizon thing?

If so im going to start watching much much closer..........

I might drop Verizon all together...........that just spooks me for some reason, and im not sure why....

I suppose tho eventually all carriers will have this sort of thing, or worse

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I meant like any type of picture really, not a specific screen shot.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It is called emergency alerts, access settings then it is under all programs menu.

As you can see, it has control of your phone if it needs to.
No need for paranoia, the PTB are looking out for our best good, right?

I am on verizon and have had it on since the addon came out, my wife has sprint and it seems she does not have it yet.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Checked out the XDA community and saw that this was something pushed through OTA updates through select carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon for sure, not sure about others) on certain Android phones (EVO 3D, DROID 2, RAZR to name a few) but will eventually be pushed to all new phones and future firmware updates.

You may be able to remove it depending on what phone you have. For the EVO 3D, here's what the instructions would be:

Permanently(reversible)remove/disable SMS Alerts-CMAS, Presidential(!),Etc

If you have a different phone, you may be out of luck but try googling your phone's model with "remove presidential alerts". Chances are if a solution to remove it doesn't exist yet, it will sooner or later, especially now that it's starting to roll out.

And if you have not already, I suggest you root your phone and install a custom ROM which in most cases removes all the bloat that the carriers push. It's not as hard as it looks, and while there's a small chance you may brick your device, the instructions to do so are usually foolproof and tested.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
www.howtoforge.com...

after writing "screenshots on android" into google - sometimes I think some people shoud stick to 90's old brick phones. You can't use google, however you go and cry on an internet forum you are afraid of some 'creepy alerts' on your phone.

So tell me now [SNIP]how much have you read about the update, have you checked some articles on this update and alert mentioned?

Mod Note: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.
edit on 19/4/12 by argentus because: removed insult

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I cant find this option yet on my Android.

I did find something that should be off, under privacy there is a backup option that will backup your WIFI Passwords. All one needs is that and GPS to do a lot.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Droid Bionic/verizon here. I have the alert feature too.

I get the uneasy feeling tptb are moving the chess pieces for another 9/11.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I checked and have it also (I don't have a major carrier but a local one).

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Very scarey. is just a USa thing or is it google worldwide?
edit on 18-4-2012 by dashdespatch because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join