It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embed 2012 - Government is trying to make it illegal to embed videos on the internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Embed 2012

The MPAA weighed in on a copyright case being heard by the 7th circuit court of appeals and they think people who embed videos of copy written material are as guilty as the person who posted the source video. If the appeals court were to rule that way, it could be the end of embedding videos.

If this were to happen it would mean the end of sharing news and video clips on sites like ATS and DiscloseTV.
I also think it is an infringement on our freedom of speech, which is supposed to be protected in the U.S Constitution

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I could see this backfiring to epic proportions. The internet is far too huge of an outlet to get ideas and media out to people. If these laws start prohibiting the sharing of copyrighted media from people who want their media to be out there, wouldn't everyone just... not copyright?
I might be confused about the whole situation and how it all works, but it doesn't make sense to me how this would benefit anyone.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Its a lot like having certain subjects and words off limits, prohibited.

Taking offense is OFFENSIVE!
edit on 4/18/2012 by reitze because: reword for prohibition sake

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DjSuperman

Dear DjSuperman,

While I am for freedom of speech, I am not in favor of freedom to steal. The video you provided asked for people to embed their video, that is fine; but, you should have permission. Should you be able to post my picture without my permission, my answer would be no, not unless I am a public figure. Same laws that apply to television and the mass media should apply to the internet. I have a blog and I don't embed, I provide a citation and a link to the original source. Why does this matter, it matters because if they said something worth hearing, people should be driven to their site so that they can reap the viewership and readership. If we follow the logic of the RT video then why should I be able to have any privacy setting on my Facebook or Twitter account? Just some thoughts.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by DjSuperman

Dear DjSuperman,

While I am for freedom of speech, I am not in favor of freedom to steal. The video you provided asked for people to embed their video, that is fine; but, you should have permission. Should you be able to post my picture without my permission, my answer would be no, not unless I am a public figure. Same laws that apply to television and the mass media should apply to the internet. I have a blog and I don't embed, I provide a citation and a link to the original source. Why does this matter, it matters because if they said something worth hearing, people should be driven to their site so that they can reap the viewership and readership. If we follow the logic of the RT video then why should I be able to have any privacy setting on my Facebook or Twitter account? Just some thoughts.

What about if you link something to comment on it? It fall under fair use then correct so then it is not illegal. Its a really confusing law with exceptions and loopholes. Artist are always gettign shafted by their companies though so why not do away with those kinds of companies and let people do their own distribution? Because the RIAA and MPAA need their money for nothing.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Dear yuppa,

What about if you link something to comment on it?

The law is not about linking to a source that has permission, it is about embedding without permission. This is old school laws regarding plagiarism, those should still apply shouldn't they? If you choose to tell me something, does that give me the right to tell everyone else? Do you not own you? If you create something, can you define how it is used by others? If you create software, should people in another county be able to sell it cheaper than you and ignore you?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see if this somehow becomes twisted into a law prohibiting ordinary citizens posting videos of police brutality and political demonstrations violently ended. This will establish precendent, and the original poster of a video will be established as "video owner", and no re-posting means no viral videos portraying government, military and LEO in a negative light.

They're gonna need all the control they can get.

new topics

top topics

join