It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Sue Obama Over Recess Appointments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Republicans Sue Obama Over Recess Appointments
Breitbart

U.S. Senate Republicans have retained a lawyer to pursue a lawsuit against the Obama Administration over those "appointments" to the Labor Board a few months ago when the Senate was "in recess".

They claim the Senate was in fact in session and that Obama overstepped his authority.

Ironically, the lawyer Miguel Estrada was a judicial nominee and was filibustered by Senate Democrats in 2002 !!
(Does anybody think he has a grudge or an axe to grind ?)

Strong words.

Today, Senate Republicans hired Miguel Estrada, the 2002 judicial nominee for the DC Circuit Court of Appeals filibustered by Senate Democrats, to press a lawsuit against the Obama administration. The lawsuit itself is based on President Obama’s non-recess “recess appointment” of political allies to the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), which oversees management-union relations; it was originally filed by Noel Canning, a soft-drink business owner who sued the NLRB over its ruling that the company had to work with a labor union.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell came out firing today:

“The president’s decision to circumvent the American people by installing his appointees at a powerful federal agency, when the Senate was not in recess, and without obtaining the advice and consent of the Senate, is an unprecedented power grab. We will demonstrate to the court how the president’s unconstitutional actions fundamentally endanger the Congress’s role in providing a check on the excesses of the executive branch.”

The Senate was technically in session when President Obama made his recess appointments; he unilaterally determined that there was indeed a recess. “The Senate should decide when the Senate is in session,” Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) stated.

The President does have the authority to make "recess appointments", but only during recesses.

I would think that Obama had legal counsel when he made the "decision".

Obama seems to be spending a lot of time in "court" since becoming POTUS. Hmmm.

Another boondoggle ?

I don't know.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
His argument was the Senate was never in session, even though a small number of Republicans Senators remained over the "recess" and called the Senate into session.

Contrary to Obama's legal argument, he used to be a Senator and knows better. The Senate makes the rules on what is considered in session and in this case the Republicans were within that framework.

What concerns me about some of his actions was his comment a few years back where he stated on more than one occasion that he would rather act unilaterally than go through congress.

I am wondering if these actions weren't trial balloons on his behalf.
edit on 18-4-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Obama seems to be spending a lot of time in "court" since becoming POTUS. Hmmm.

Another boondoggle ?

I don't know.

You don't know?

You sure have a lot of innuendo going on

You sure post up a lot of anti Obama threads

Do you dislike Obama?

I don't know

(just kidding, I do know)

Gotta love the death by ten thousand whispers on innuendo

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
His argument was the Senate was never in session, even though a small number of Republicans Senators remained over the "recess" and called the Senate into session.

Ah Republicans were still in session?
Cool beans.
What were they working on?
Surely they were not just wasting TAX DOLLARS to play politics all while doing nothing for the people that pay them?
Right?
Not Republicans?
So what did they do during that session?

top topics

join