It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Pakistan al-Qaeda Suspect Killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Pakistan officials have reported that troops have killed a leading Al-Qaeda member in southern province of Sindh. The man has been reported to be Amjad Farooqi, he was wanted for connections with the assassination attems on the Pakinstan president and the murder of US reporter Daniel Pearl.

news.bbc.co.uk
They said he was killed in a four-hour gun battle at a house in Nawabshah, 200 kilometres (125 miles) from Karachi.

Interior Minister Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao told AP news agency that three Pakistani men arrested in the operation were "possibly involved in terrorist activities inside the country".

Amjad Farooqi, also known as Amjad Hussain had a 20 million rupee ($330,000) price on his head.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well if this is one of the leaders of the Pakistan movement then a very well done to those involved in his demise.

I know the man was something like number 20 on the most wanted list and since he has very high connections to other leaders of Al-Qaeda, maybe the terrorists in Pakistan wont be able to organise much of anything for a while...givin us time to move in and gather more intel and capture them.

Related News Links:
www.pakistan.gov.pk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 26-9-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm ok with them killing him he was a terrorist but I would have preferred it if they would have captured him alive and any of his fellow members in the raid. That way they could have gathered more intelligence and made more headway in capturing more Al-Qaeda members.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
I'm ok with them killing him he was a terrorist but I would have preferred it if they would have captured him alive and any of his fellow members in the raid. That way they could have gathered more intelligence and made more headway in capturing more Al-Qaeda members.

I don't know. These Jihadist are a pretty tight lipped group (at least the hard core ones) I don't know the Arabic word for Omerta, but they tend to stay quiet even if taken alive. It seems to me that most of the intel they have gotten has come from computers and files etc.

That being said, there is in all likelyhood elements in the Pakistan security forces that are loyal or supportive of the Taliban and the Jihadists. Maybe it was a "accident" to keep him quiet?

[edit on 26-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

but they tend to stay quiet even if taken alive.

Not really, other than the insane desire for martyrdom, they are basically cowards at heart, and most crack fairly easily it seems (judging from reports) and give quite a bit of info, usually leading to even more arrests.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Just a little update

Pakistan's President Musharraf has reported that the killing of the suspected key al-Qaeda leader is a very serious blow against terrorism due to the contacts the leader had with other countries cells.

President Musharraf said on his trip to the Netherlands on Monday: "Not only was [Farooqi] involved in the attacks on me but also in attacks elsewhere in the country. So a very big terrorist has been eliminated."

President Musharraf said intelligence reports suggested al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden was alive, but he did not know where he was hiding.

"We've eliminated one of the very major sources of terrorist threat," President Musharraf said.

Farooqi was wanted in connection with attempts to kill the president and the murder of US reporter Daniel Pearl.

I have to agree with Seven on this...it would have been better if they man was caught alive...even the smallest amount of information gathered from him under interrogation would have maybe benifited the locals in locating other leaders and members of the Al-Qaeda.

But..i suppose...one dead is better off than one more terrorist walkin the earth.

Musharraf hails blow to al-Qaeda

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hundreds of people have gathered in a Punjabi province village for the funeral of a key Al-Qaeda suspect Ahmed Farooqi. The suspect was killed in a security raid in Nawabshah in the Sindh province on the 26th of Septemeber. After numerous tests involving a DNA test, his family recieved the body for burial.

People soon began arriving from nearby towns and villages. Some reports said around 1,000 had come by nightfall.

According to Islamic tradition, Muslims should be buried within 24 hours of death, but the authorities retained Farooqi's body to confirm his identity.

One of Farooqi's relatives, Qari Sanaullah, told Reuters: "It was cruel to kill Amjad. He was a loyal Pakistani and committed Muslim."

Village set for 'al-qaeda' burial

Well to be blankly honest and i really dont care here...he is a member of a terrorits group who have killed many of there own and other people...i dont give a toss if his body isnt returned before his traditions allow.

They could have disected him for all i care....i have no respect for this man or any person who is in an organisation who uses people and little children as sheilds and bombs.

I hope his family can be satisified that the world now celebrates the death of a enemy not fit to be named human.

top topics

join