It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse - A fascinatingly disturbing thought

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Based on the ATS consesus I believe I'm booking my seat.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Reminds me of a post I...um, posted a while back. Quite a bit actually.

There are not an infinite number of grains of sand on Earth, but for all intents and purposes there may as well be. I feel that the same goes for stars in the universe. I would speculate that there are quite a few planets out there that are practically indistinguishable from our own, and that there are quite a few more that are indistinguishable from any other particular planet you might pick.

As far as intelligent life goes, I don't think we really have any idea how rare or common it might be. It would certainly be odd if intelligent life were the only thing in the universe of which there was only a single example, considering that there are billions and billions of everything else.

If we had, say, 100,000 life-bearing planets that we could examine of which none had what we would call intelligent life, then I would suppose that it's pretty uncommon. But our sample size so far is 1, which is pretty meaningless when it comes to drawing conclusions. We could just as easily look at the fact that 100 percent of the life bearing planets we know of harbor intelligent life and conclude that intelligence is an inevitability once life begins. Either way we're working with some pretty scant information

Assuming that intelligent life is out there, I wouldn't put too much stock in what our science tells us these other people can and can't do, our understanding of physical laws notwithstanding. Even our current physics suggests that there may be ways around the speed of light limit in terms of traveling vast distances. I see no reason to suspect that a civilization several million years ahead of us regarding science and technology will not be able to do things that we consider absolutely impossible.

Here's another thought: We talk about this quality we call "intelligence" as if it is the end-all of life. There are lots and lots of life forms on Earth, but there are very few we would consider intelligent. From our perspective, intelligence is a quality that separates us from the other nonintelligent life on our planet in a fundamental way.

But suppose there is another quality out there, let's call it "superness" for lack of a better term. Perhaps species that are super are as fundamentally different from intelligent species like us as we are from, say, fish or insects. In other words, superness is to intelligence as intelligence is to nonintelligence. Of course this is speculation, but can we think of any reason why there would be one and only one such fundamental dividing line in the hierarchy of life?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Dear MR Neil Degrasse

I Love Your Brilliance

Ive Noticed this Video the OP Posted

you Mentioned about the 1 to 3 Percent Difference of the APE & Man !!

Please Watch this Video !!

What Separates Us from Chimps? As It Turns Out, Not Much

OK Then you saw the Video ... Great

Here is the Sentence.. to sink in..

If you Have enough Quantity
You Invent Quality ....

Basically what This Scientist it Telling Us ( Mentioning the Video I HAVE Posted )

Be side's the Difference of Immune Function & Reproduction of APE & MAN

What About The Genes Relevant to the Brain ......

Turns Out Hardly Any!!!!!

The Few that have been Identified.........Makes Perfect Sense..

We Have three times (3x) of Many Neurons !! the Apes!!

The Number Of Round's of Cell Division of Fetal Brain Development in which is three times more then Ape ..

Theres the Plausible Answer DR Degrasse

Life Out There ( pointing to the Star that has that Planet in a Goldilocks Zone )
just may Go more Rounds!!! in Cell Division in Brain Development ..

The Big Question as HOW that Came to be !!!

So Genetic Design .. Evolution with a Touch of Creation ?

or Some Retro Virus Rewired our Brain Development to go 3 more Rounds ... ?

but this Still does not Explain that Chromosome 2 Fusion Difference Between Man & Ape

The 46+2 ... (( Fused ))

Well Something is going on with Humans

Just Look At what we have Accomplished with in 100 years of Technology compared
with the Progress 100 years Before Hand !! before the Industrial Revolution !

Thank Prometheus... with that One ...

Now if you took your Cell Phone or your Tablet into a Time machine
( If Possible Sure I would think Dr Ron Mallett says it may be Possible )

when you get there Place a Cell Phone / Tablet ON 3 Great Inventors ( Bell,Tesla, Edison ) of the late 19th Century Table of their Labs , what do those Inventors think what the Tablet Cell Phone Was !!
later after a Little Study .. ask them to Back Engineer it !! with the available tools they had of Their Present Time !!

That's where we at ... if Those that Came from a Different Heavenly Star .. than Ours ...

I think We are in that Geranium BIO Ball for Study by Them...

Turning that knob so Often

but you wouldn't think that would you DR DeGrasse ?

I had the Impression you Would Say ..

if we cant Get There they cant Get Here Ideology...

I Could Be Wrong ...

From the Earth to the Moon
en.wikipedia.org...

That ((( Sci Fiction BOOK ))) became a Reality 104 Years Later ...

as Few People From NASA Practically Used it as a Reference Book

An thats FACT......

edit on 19-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Spooky1

Hey Spooky ,

I read through your posts but couldnt see if you'd replied regarding the conjecture DeGrasse mentioned about genetics .

Which statement regarding genetics was conjecture ?

Anyways your mention that no scientists ever publish books for the public or lay person , is completely not true.
but thats not for discussion here.

Whether he is established in the scientific community or not , he does one great thing for humanity , and thats making science easy and accessable for anyone removing the confusion and putting it into perspective for those who find science terminology or concepts a little hard to understand.

Thats a good thing , just as good as the people who actually discover things through science or invent things.
The reason why is because it makes those people less scared of what science can do and they tend to accept
science for what it can do , rather than what problems can arise from it.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Dr. Neil DeGrasse is wrong about the difference in chimps and humans.
It's not 99%.
Taking into account deletions and insertions it's much lower. Even if it was 99%, it means nothing. People think that it's some kind of profound connection. It's how genes are used that's important. We have 1/3 identical DNA to the Dafodil. We are not 1/3 Dafodil.

The main problem I have with his interestingly disturbing idea is how he equates DNA sequence with intelligence. It makes no sense. It's the expression of the genes that effects the organism. Everybody assumes this 1.5% difference in DNA between Chimps and Humans causes every difference we see between the two. It actually doesn't make any difference. You would think Dr. Neil DeGrasse would know this, but I guess not.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Thisbseth

good stuff. commensensically profoudediddidily! thanx

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

He is simply using it to illustrate a point on how we perceive our own intelligence in comparison to other animals, and then apply it to alien civilizations, i don't believe he is being literal.

I personally believe there is a danger that when we come in to contact with an advanced alien civilization, we won't even know we came in to contact with them.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
great video thanks for posting, i love pragmatic thinking like this

i will certainly look for more from this guy

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

It is the last one (or two) percent.....that makes the difference.

As I understand it, Chimps (their brain and cognitive abilities) go up to the equivalent level of about a 5 to 8-year old Human child. And, stop there.

Now.....compared to other species on this planet?? (Not accounting for the aquatics......because, while they also indicate a level of intelligence, it's hard to be entirely certain, because of environmental differences, and the way those influences added to their own development).

SO.....looking at, again, our own planet and its cadre of species....some of which are almost as "intelligent" as us....(I put 'intelligent' into quotes, for a reason)......

.....one aspect of Dr. DeGrasse' remarks in that video was about OTHER (potential) Extraterrestrial intelligences that we will either (one day) encounter.....or, as some may think, are already inter-acting with. (Because 'THEY' found "US".....not other-way-'round).

'THEY' (if and or when and such) cannot be presumed to have the same "motivations" or "morals" or.....anything at all, in the manner of thinking and thought processes....that we "consider" as part of the 'Human Condition' and motivation and "morality".....

.....such an assumption would be premature, and somewhat naive to depend upon.....as a basis for "understanding". It is going to be FAR, far more complicated (logically, this is a basis to begin at......NOT to assign "Human" motivations or desires or concepts to a completely 'alien' species....).......

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

i agree 100%

whats so wrong with possibly sparking a passion to this to the lay person or even children?
he helps melt away all the factors and language that scare most people away.

to me a real scientists are the ones that communicate / writes books that speak to everyone.
a scientists that DOESNT write for the lay person is such waste!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace
Dr. Neil DeGrasse is wrong about the difference in chimps and humans.
It's not 99%.
Taking into account deletions and insertions it's much lower. Even if it was 99%, it means nothing. People think that it's some kind of profound connection. It's how genes are used that's important. We have 1/3 identical DNA to the Dafodil. We are not 1/3 Dafodil.

The main problem I have with his interestingly disturbing idea is how he equates DNA sequence with intelligence. It makes no sense. It's the expression of the genes that effects the organism. Everybody assumes this 1.5% difference in DNA between Chimps and Humans causes every difference we see between the two. It actually doesn't make any difference. You would think Dr. Neil DeGrasse would know this, but I guess not.

I definitely know what you are talking about. On the topic of our genetic makeup, I believe that the genes of humans have been genetically engineered. Our dna 'story' does not fit evolution, and sadly brilliant scientists such as DeGrasse do not examine the evolution myth enough.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Except....our genes haven't been "genetically engineered".....

.....unless we wish to make an 'argument' for Extra-terrestrial" involvement, and interference going back for over 100.000 years??

This is a GREAT "science fiction" story, perhaps a novel or.....a motion picture concept idea.....

.....but, the simple FACTS of the other and many varied species on our planet.....to include our closest "cousins" on the genetic scale........well.

The "idea" of "genetic manipulation" (at some dim, dark past time) just doesn't hold any water.....when viewed by those experts in the field of this science.

I mean.....WOW!!!! If only ONE geneticist happened upon this 'COUP' OF A LIFETIME!!!!!!!!

He (r she) would be "uber"-famous, and rich beyond their wildest dreams!!!!

....how many geneticists are there, in the World?????

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

Except....our genes haven't been "genetically engineered".....

.....unless we wish to make an 'argument' for Extra-terrestrial" involvement, and interference going back for over 100.000 years??

This is a GREAT "science fiction" story, perhaps a novel or.....a motion picture concept idea.....

.....but, the simple FACTS of the other and many varied species on our planet.....to include our closest "cousins" on the genetic scale........well.

The "idea" of "genetic manipulation" (at some dim, dark past time) just doesn't hold any water.....when viewed by those experts in the field of this science.

I mean.....WOW!!!! If only ONE geneticist happened upon this 'COUP' OF A LIFETIME!!!!!!!!

He (r she) would be "uber"-famous, and rich beyond their wildest dreams!!!!

....how many geneticists are there, in the World?????

I don't regard this as science fiction, neither do many other people. The evolution theory debunks itself. If primates turned into humans, then why are the primates at the zoo?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I hate to bring facts into the discussion, as you guys seem to be throwing praises all over the opinions of a TV personality, but here goes:

1. Panspermia is only a theory. It's not science at all. There is nothing scientific about it. If anything, it is basically scientists admitting that they see absolutely no way for life to have started here on earth by itself.

2. There is no scientific proof of any other life anywhere else. To say that we are more or less advanced than theoretical beings that we imagine in our minds is utterly ridiculous and is 100% science fiction. I know that many of you think that "if a scientist says it, it's science." But you are wrong. His opinion is just as valid as a redneck living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere.

3. Humans and apes are unbelievably different. Throw DNA out the window and use your eyes. (Also, there are over 30 million DNA differences, so let's not go overboard here by saying how close we are with apes from a DNA standpoint)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsonhead

OH??? Perhaps one needs to understand the difference between a "theory" and a "concept"....

1. Panspermia is only a theory. It's not science at all.

I t actually "IS" 'science', as a very common concept that is very, very credible.

NOT ('of course') in the "concept" of Humans....or even our progenitor species, to include the full range of OTHER "naked apes".....but to include the FULL SPECTRUM of ALL life on Earth......going back to about 4 ('ish') BILLION years.......

.....the Universe is FAR, far more vast than our teeny, tiny segment of "experience" with it.....in the teeny, tiny few......."thousand" years of our (Human) existence).

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

oh, how very, very, very SAD!!!!:

The evolution theory debunks itself.

Shame, that a mind is SO CLOSED to understanding of solid science!!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
"http://www.youtube.com/embed/qikjljlbTQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FutureThinker

i was talking too a guy yesterday who thinks if the world came together too think as one,we would stand a good chance of winning a war with aliens...i hope he sees this..
he will be like
maybe i was wrong...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulVoid

HERE is your video, set for viewing convenience in the 'ATS' method....

You can 'quote' my post to see the 'BB' code....or....here's how:

Take the eleven-digit code from the YouTube URL......'copy' that.......and use the 'BB' code of (remove all spaces.....):

[ yvid ] at the front, then [ / yvid ] at the end.....and...well DONE!!

(edit)......this is kind of depressing..... LOL!!!

Oh, and this:

Oh, and this......(just for fun):

THANKS!!! (for all the fish......)....See Ya!!!!
edit on Sun 22 April 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join