It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things must change....this just isn't working.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I come today with a very specific area of American life I see as being broken and far outsized in importance by the effect this malfunction has on the overall nation.

I don't have flashy graphics or videos for this because there really aren't any. The problem is all over and all one must do is watch a Congressional Hearing to see it in full color.

The problem? The 5th Amendment of the United States Constitution. Yes, I really said it. Mr Constitution has come out and said a part of it must change. Now let me explain, briefly, my thinking.

From the time of Ollie and the Contras to the hearings occurring every day now on things ranging from Fast and Furious to the wars and excesses overseas, we hear the same refrain from Government people when even they can no longer come up with lies that will save their bacon. "I plead the 5th" or some variation of those words. It's as good as clockwork and we can count on it. When we've located the truly guilty in a government scandal, we know without question as those words come from their mouths.

Well, I want to note that in the United States Military, a number of Rights are simply erased as if they never existed for the term one is serving in Uniform and a member of the Armed Services. Freedom of Speech is sure among them, but not the only one that is either curtailed or just cut entirely during the term of service. SO...What I suggest is NOT without precedent.

What I suggest to solve this problem then is a simple change to our Constitution and laws as it relates to investigations of Government Officials in elected office as well as those in appointed positions. What I believe we need to see change is the ELIMINATION of the 5th amendment being an option when the person being question is a Government Employee and the topic of questioning relates specifically and ONLY to their duties related to that service.

They don't work for Uncle Sam. They work for *US*. The people. No one seems to recall that, but we have an old, somewhat tired document that says it in very clear detail. What right should they have to hide behind OUR rights in accounting for their actions conducted IN OUR NAME and on our behalf??

I'd also add here that another change would make all the difference in the world. For those Government employees that are called to testify in support of or to further the investigation of Government officials, IMMEDIATE and blanket immunity should be conferred to them for anything they may say or testify to which relates to Government matters of any kind. THAT removes ANY suggestion of being ordered by their departments not to cooperate and it totally removes the 5th from the options in the case of those simply helping investigators understand what has happened in a situation.

Our leaders...They commit all form of abuse and outrage in our names and then they hide from those same actions..IN OUR NAMES and to our faces. This MUST change. What does everyone else think?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Don't see a problem with the 5th myself it is there for a reason or reasons in this country based off mob rule it is one of the last vestage from getting lynched in the name of "justice".

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i think there must be a change

but in order to mess around with the 5th ammendment i would better like to see a law in place that would make LOBBIES and their GOALS transparent to the public.

i truly believe that a good portion of morality comes to an end with the money of these organisations and this is where we need to have an important insight into

who in the government gets paid for what services for which lobby ... ?

dig it .. put the media on the tracks and see where the train rolls to...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
my first thought on the subject is that it would make the life of anyone holding any sort of knowledge deemed troublesome a lot more dangerous as currently they can just take the 5th and keep quiet about everything and no amount of immunity will make someone testify if they think that their wife/kids will have a fatal car accident via some men in black pressing a button on the way to school etc

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Pleading the 5th doesn't grant automatic immunity (I think).

When the officials plead, that may actually open the door for investigators to dig deeper.

I'm sure some people have been prosecuted after pleading the 5th.

Somebody just needs to prove it after the fact.

Can someone confirm this ?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Pleading the 5th doesn't grant automatic immunity (I think).

When the officials plead, that may actually open the door for investigators to dig deeper.

I'm sure some people have been prosecuted after pleading the 5th.

Somebody just needs to prove it after the fact.

Can someone confirm this ?

All pleading the 5th amendment does is give the person a way out of answering the question without direct penalty or other form of action against them. It doesn't give immunity.. Although IF given immunity in a deal, then one cannot plead the 5th as I understand it, since the basis for the right no longer exists. There is no self incrimination, therefore, failure to answer is contempt of court. At least that is how I understand it.... Maybe a law student or actual attorney can clarify that.

My point on this though isn't about immunity. That was a secondary issue to protect witnesses with an automatic process and rob the reluctant of that option to hide behind the 5th.

My point is far more about outright REMOVING the ability to use the 5th amendment in any form, what so ever, under a very narrow and VERY clearly defined circumstance. That is behavior or conduct taken as a part of duty to the Government, as a Government employee or Official.

They can turn right around and plead the 5th in the same hearing if someone asks them about a hooker at a Vegas convention or something....but if asked about the travel planning and finances to that same example Vegas trip, the answers cannot be deflected by the 5th.

See what I mean? It's a matter of simply getting tired of U.S. Government Officials telling us they don't have to talk about their own Official misconduct or even the extent of the damage done to us as a result.

new topics

top topics

join