It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide by Economic crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

The rate of people taking their own lives is soaring in Europe at such a clip that the trend has given birth to a new media term: "Suicide by economic crisis."

If suicide is a measure of a society’s health, the Eurozone is getting sicker by the minute. The rate of people taking their own lives is soaring in Europe at such a clip that the trend has given birth to a new media term: "Suicide by economic crisis." How has it come to pass that people would rather die than be subjected to the pain imposed by global elites?

An interesting article about the increasing rates of Suicide in Eurozone countries. The rates correspond with the unemployment rates. A number reasons are cited, from increased personal debt to cuts in mental health services.

www.alternet.org...:_how_many_have_to_die_before_we_kill_the_false_religion_of_austerity

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The article you link to asks: How Many Have to Die Before We Kill the False Religion of Austerity?

Wrong question. Austerity is not the false religion. The false religion is Materialism, a fixation on money, material possessions and the physical comfort that it can buy.

Ultimately, it's about society that has abandoned spiritual substance for material fluff. The suicides come because their god (Mammon) has failed them.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is a very serious and important topic and from personal experience it is becoming a new epidemic esp here in Ireland as hope diminishes and poverty, debt and prospects of a bleak future drive so many people to take the only option that they feel they are left with.

The most frightening thing is that any statistics that can be compiled are just the tip of the iceberg. The classification of suicide as cause of death is often avoided in reports because of family pressure, social taboo and indeed the disguising of the act by victims as accidents etc for all the reasons given and to ensure insurance payouts for family left behind.

I believe that suicide by economic crisis actually much higher than reported and frighteningly common as people have been conned into believing that a persons worth is calculated by their financial wealth. Here is an interesting document regarding suicide compiled by the wonderful Samaritans, to whom I myself have to thank for my present status as a living person.

Suicide PDF

If you are feeling suicidal here are some great places to seek guidance in Ireland
Pieta Ireland
Suicide prevention

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

People are not "conned" into believing that their worth is in their pockets/pocketbooks. Some people simply choose to believe that is the case. In fact, this implies they choose to be conned then - when people make the choice they can't claim they were conned.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

A con only works by the mark believing a statement to be truth. In order to be conned you must believe and choose to believe in what turns out to be an erroneous falsehood. Most victims who have been 'conned' never ever find out that they have been.
The entire advertising industry is based on selling something to someone and promising benefits that are often purely planted in the mind of the viewer.
In fact economies depend on the deception. Societies function within their parameters.
Choice and belief are integral to being conned.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
it's really a shame

agree with prior posters it's the materialism/shame that is getting them

I've joked with my sister if I lose my job I'm moving onto her garage, and if we both go down, it's back with mom and dad, and if they go down we'll build a raft on a river !!!

do anything to stay alive, and rebuild

new topics

top topics

join