It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK's Poor becoming reliant on Food Banks Just to survive

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
If the country did what we actually wanted and voted for no one would have a problem getting a job.

I think you're being terribly naive. By and large, the Government is doing what they said they would during the election, cutting the deficit and sorting out the economy. If Labour had won in 2010, they would have continued the same spending policy which basically would have just meant sticking their fingers in their ears and gone "lalalala", hoping the problem would go away. It wasn't until much later in 2010, well after the election, that Ed Balls conceded that Labour had got it wrong.

Also, note the rash of doom and gloom headlines in the media, but very little about positives, such as Land Rover expanding, Nissan expanding, Redcar re-opening, JCB recruiting and making record sales etc. Again, the Government said they wanted us to get back into manufacturing and this is happening.

I would like you to tell me how you believe we could all "get a job" when the global economy is still sick. Besides, 100% employment is undesirable as that will drive up wages so high we price ourselves out the market. Like it or not, there needs to be some unemployment.

Its too easy to sit on ass claim what you can and get by with little to no effort or contribution to the country.

Maybe so, but I don't think for one minute anyone in this thread has advocated such a thing.

There are no proud Britons left, they either smell the future and get what they can, or dont care and are happy with being nothing for themselves or from their country.

Speak for yourself matey, but I know plenty of "proud Britons", myself included. Not quite sure what you're trying to say here though.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I actually volunteer twice a week at a drop in for young homeless people in my town. We do give out food parcels to those who request them and vouchers for a local food bank. The vouchers are given but only after those requesting them go on a budget management session. At least we are trying to get the idea into some peoples heads that they need to budget their money so they can pay for their own food.

The thing is the vast majority of people want to do their own food shopping and not rely on the handouts from a food bank. The food packages we hand out are very basic. Tinned meats and dry pasta. Not a great selection, but will fill an empty belly.

We are also starting a jobs club with the intention of getting these young people ready for the world of work. This will mean we target specific cases who we believe just need a helping hand in getting back to work. You have to remember these kids were kicked out of their homes at a young age and left to fend for themselves with out any parental of guardian support. No love, no home and no idea of how to act responsibly. many have mental illness problems and lack basic social skills. the kind of things you and I probably take for granted.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I think a lot of it is just plain waste, the only food I waste is each end of my weekly loaf of bread, and they do go into the compost bin, I have three months worth of food by buying when its two for one etcetera, dried or tinned.
I only buy what I know I like, and cook just enough that I know I can eat comfortably, There is a food market once a week in the town square, where I can get good cheap meat products, and where I spend money left over from last week, there are also two town center shops that sell 'in date' discount food products, perhaps being retired I have the time to hunt around, I can only add, "well, make the time" .

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
How ironic,
In a way the Queen does the same thing.
Except it's just bank welfare.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Lot's of families have lost their working tax credit this month. That's a massive blow to their income, and I do mean massive. One of these food banks run by a church group has opened in the city here.
Let me just say you can already see how desperate people are even if you are out shopping in Morry's. Every night at about 7.30 there's a rush for the taster food they leave on the counter. People are using it as a means to eat for the day. Herds of people also loitering about from then until it shuts just to get the lowest reduced stuff. It's becoming a rugby scrum.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

So what you're basically saying is that those who don't want to live within the system are to be made outlaws. What you're basically saying is that you want to criminalize extreme poverty and kick the crap out of people who are already down and out.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to house a prisoner? You wouldn't save money at all; you'd create an Orwellian nightmare.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by freewestray

I think, on reflection, your brother has lost his child tax credits, not his child benefit.

I lost mine last year due to my household income and, to be honest, I will happily go without it if others more in need benefit, as I only really used it to play around with and had no actual "need".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join