It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fullerene C60 administration doubles rat lifespan with no toxicity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

Looks like you have been studying. Nothing in the article really addresses how this carbon molecule works. It may somehow fix DNA but it is not stated anywhere that I have read as to how it works. I suppose they know but that's a trade secret for a future expensive product. I have studied DNA somewhat and I tried studying ways to create availability of necessary nutrients to make repairs possible. Information is sketchy that is available on sites I studied.
edit on 18-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
So what does this mean? We will be required to work till we are a hundred and fourty before collecting social security in the future? Costs you two thousand dollars a year for buckyballs so you can collect ten years of Social security.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I never would have run across it otherwise. I am excited to check out the research, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this is possible. I'm on my way out the door, and I couldn't tell if anyone here had read the original research article. I'll try and find it when I get home. I'm curious as to how the rats who were fed just olive oil performed (assuming that was a control).

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This might or might not be in the future, dependant on who is, or is not, ( and what your definition of is is ) in the club, or not, I'll wager.

Novel, safe natural food supplement, hydrated fullerenes (C60-HyFn) or water-soluble buckyballs could make 50-60 % of the riskier synthetic drugs and pharmaceuticals obsolete by 2025-30...

... Fullerenes were touted as the silver bullet in medicine, but because natural pristine fullerenes are not water soluble, the hype quickly died down. Ukrainian scientists were the only group in the world that figured out how to make insoluble fullerenes water soluble without increasing its toxicity (hence the name Hydrated Fullerenes or HyFN’s

smarteconomy.typepad.com... make.html
edit on 18-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

eta
here is a link to page of very interesting info about hydrated fullerines (HyFns )
there is a comprehensive bunch of links, like this one
www.ipacom.com...
scroll down
edit on 18-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In support of my above post

Having obtained molecular-colloidal solutions of hydrated fullerenes in water once, we tried to reproduce the natural and medicinal properties of Marcial water under laboratory conditions. With this purpose, we took highly purified water and added hydrated fullerene C60 in “homeopathic” dosage. Biological trials were conducted on different models. The results were striking. On virtually any pathology model, we observed a positive biological effect. The experiments lasted for more than 15 years. Many pathological changes in a living organism are eliminated and it returns to its normal, healthy condition. This is not a medicinal preparation of purposeful action, nor a foreign chemical substance, but just a carbon ball, dissolved in water. It seems that hydrated C60 fullerene assists an organism to return to its “a normal condition” in the case of any negative changes and it does so due to the restoration and maintenance of those structures it has generated as a matrix in the process of the origin of life.
www.ipacom.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This is interesting. Others testing the C60 effectiveness as a anti wrinkle cream.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I think we have a winner in the life extension dept.

Highly purified and organic solvent-free fullerene-C60 was dissolved, at nearly saturated concentration of 278 ppm, in squalane prepared from olive oil, which is designated as LipoFullerene (LF-SQ) and was examined for usage as a cosmetic ingredient with antioxidant ability. The aim of this study was to assess the anti-wrinkle formation efficacy of LF-SQ in subjects. A total of 23 Japanese women (group I: age 38.9 +/- 3.8, n = 11, group II; age 39.4 +/- 4.3, n = 12) were enrolled in an 8-week trial of LF-SQ blended cream in a randomized, matched pair double-blind study. The LF-SQ cream was applied twice daily on the right or left half of the face, and squalane blended cream (without fullerene-C60) was applied as the placebo on another half of the face. As clinical evaluations of wrinkle grades, visual observation and photographs, and silicone replicas of both crow's feet areas were taken at baseline (0 week) and at 4th and 8th weeks. Skin replicas were analyzed using an optical profilometry technique. The wrinkle and skin-surface roughness features were calculated and statistically analyzed. Subsequently, trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL), moisture levels of the stratum corneum, and visco-elasticity (suppleness: RO and elasticity: R7) were measured on cheeks by instrumental analysis. LF-SQ cream enhanced the skin moisture and the anti-wrinkle formation. LF-SQ cream that was applied on a face twice daily was not effective at 4th week, but significantly more effective than the placebo at 8th week (p < 0.05) without severe side effects. The roughness-area ratio showed significant improvement (p < 0.05) at 8th week with LF-SQ cream as compared to 0 week with LF-SQ cream, but no significant difference was detected between LF-SQ cream and the placebo. We suggest that LF-SQ could be used as an active ingredient for wrinkle-care cosmetics.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

And?...
You go on about Olive Oil when that wasn't the focus of the article.
The focus was the C60 molecule.
You even ramble on about how the C60 removes bad cells when that isn't mentioned in the article.
What exactly are you trying to prove quoting the article again?
There is nothing in those quotes to prove what you are claiming.
The article does not mention why Olive Oil was chosen, nor does the article say C60 removes bad cells.
All it says is Olive Oil was sued and that the C60 molecule is then eliminated hours later.

Originally posted by Extralien
I don't think it is the C60 acting alone. It's reaction with olive oil is the key here..

We have to look at why olive oil is used and another, like sunflower oil.

Given the way of things, you may also not age as normal and you could possibly even rejuvenate slightly.

You are making assumptions as to why Olive Oil was used that are not in the article.
Your whole "rejuvenate slightly" is not only an assumption it shows you don't understand how cells and bodies age.
It also shows you don't know how C60 is being used in this article.
The C60 can't rejuvenate anything since it can not repair cellular damage, it can not make the telomeres longer either.

Your entire post is full of your opinion with a little dose of links to Olive Oil and it's benefits.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

From what I know of DNA nutrition does play a factor in keeping it healthy.
Proper nutrition can prevent damage and even increase the telomerase levels which makes the telomers longer.
You can repair the telomers which are part of DNA, once they are gone though and the rest of the DNA is damaged you can't repair it no matter how well you eat.

Once DNA is damaged it's done there is no repairing it.
Right now as far as we know a cell with damaged DNA can't ask an undamaged cell for a photo copy of the DNA molecule to repair itself.
Nutrition is key, but it is preventative, not curative.
There is a point of no return for DNA, eating right helps make more telomerase, which makes the telomers longer which keeps the point of no return further off.

That's just what I've read on the topic.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

edit on 18-4-2012 by Extralien because: because..

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

oh give it a rest would you.. ranting like an oap that's got nothing else better to do...

The idea about fullerene removing bad cells was not mine.. it was actually maxmars who said it..

so if you wanna have a go at anyone, have a go there too..

I would think that the C60 spheroid fullerene acts a ready-made molecular cage which traps unwanted cellular invaders or materials.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hey now! I don't mind being quoted... even if it is to correct me; but please, do so in context.

If I didn't know better, (and perhaps I don't) I would think that the C60 spheroid fullerene acts a ready-made molecular cage which traps unwanted cellular invaders or materials.

Somehow it doesn't convey the "I know what I am talking about" feel as when you quoted it.

Nevertheless, as you state; I am more inclined to believe that cell apoptosis is not "irrevocably" the destiny of a cell.... it can be mitigated... C60 just seems as a convincing potential candidate towards therapies to that end.

But I am not molecular biologist, and of course, the whole point of this discussion is not to 'convince' anyone of anything. I thought it an interesting topic, worthy of note, you know?

Not everything on ATS is predicated on the idea that it is to be said on a soapbox.

At any rate, I do have a pertinent question. It was my understanding that DNA within life forms, has demonstrated some 'error-correction' structure... something to do with molecular geometry... does any know anything about that? It speaks to the robustness of the "life" paradigm (at least as we understand it.) Or did I imagine the whole thing... (information overload being an omnipresent difficulty as I age.... )

edit on 18-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

reply to post by Extralien

Glad you took that quote before Extralien had a chance to pull it.
I'm not trying to be a soap box, Extralien replied to one of my posts with gibberish not stated in the article so I corrected them.
He then replied just quoting the same article as if that proved their point, no substance nothing to add of their own just quotes saying see here.
Then follow it up by blaming you, for no apparent reason other than the fact they got offended they were being corrected.
Quite sad really, they make a mistake then yell at the person who corrects them.
That's what's wrong with society these days but that's off topic.

About your recent post:
DNA apoptosis or cellular death is inevitable, and not at the same time.
It's kind of tricky.
Each cell has a set number of times it can copy, basically the life time of that cell.
Be it 1000 copies or just 30 copies for cells with slower copy rates.
The number of copies it can undergo is determined by the length of the telomers.
What is really spectacular and a recent discovery(within 5 or 10 years) is the fact that we can make the telomers longer.
That actually has the affect of keeping cellular death away, thus allowing the entire organism to live longer.
C60 can't make the telomers longer, but it can protect them which also has the affect of extending cell life.

Before my next point, I want to say I'm a Physics and Engineering student, not a molecular biologist.
I just read a lot as I like to learn.

To answer your question re: DNA repair again there is and there isn't a way to repair DNA.
When DNA copies itself it unzips(well enzymes unzip it) partially or completely.
If one side is damaged it's okay because the other is intact and it can only be put back together in the right order.
If both sides are destroyed/damaged there is no way to repair it.
Once the data is gone it's gone for good.
A cell can not go up to another cell and ask to borrow a photo copy of the correct DNA molecule to repair itself.
At least not that I am aware of, if it could that would be remarkable as it would mean all you need to do is find one cell with 0 mistakes and you could repair all the damaged cells.

Maxmars I encourage you to keep asking questions, and even keep asking mistakes.
The fact you show interest in something you don't understand is great.
Just explaining the little I know to answer your questions makes me understand it better as I have to critically think before I can answer especially since I haven't had to answer these questions before.

I'm not trying to get up on a soap box I don't do that.
You posed a question and I tried to answer it as best I can.
If I am wrong I hope a more informed person will come along and correct me as that would help me learn.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Has anyone else here read the actual research article? I just found it and it is pretty interesting so far. It looks like they had originally used C60 derivatives because they are water-soluble but now they are finding that oil-based suspensions allow them to use C60 itself, right?
I haven't actually read it and am just skimming it, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone else is reading it and would want to discuss it.
edit on 18-4-2012 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaBetaGammaX

That is how I read it as well. I found it noteworthy that the derivatives have toxic properties ... but C60 does not in and of itself... apparently - quite the contrary. But the industry seems to have a predilection for the 'patentable' though.

Well... I hope there is some promise in this. And I hope that promise isn't lost.

edit on 18-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I was shocked that the water soluble derivatives were potentially toxic as well.

I actually want to read the paper not just the article, but the semester isn't over so for now I can just skim articles and go "must remember this exists when the semester is over".

I'm really interested how when it water it's toxic, but by itself or in oil as a carrier it becomes beneficial.

To me that opens up the gateway for other carrying agents to have other affects.
Alcohol soluble does abc, while oil soluble does xyz.
Just throwing out a thought on what I think it would be interesting and wonder if the carrying agent has a role or not.

I really hope I remember to read the actual paper when the semester is over.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Looks like you have been studying. Nothing in the article really addresses how this carbon molecule works. It may somehow fix DNA but it is not stated anywhere that I have read as to how it works. I suppose they know but that's a trade secret for a future expensive product. I have studied DNA somewhat and I tried studying ways to create availability of necessary nutrients to make repairs possible. Information is sketchy that is available on sites I studied.
edit on 18-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

I don't think that DNA is the key. That is, DNA is part of the system.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There were three test groups in this study. One group was control, one was olive oil supplemented, and one was supplemented with the fullerene C60 + olive oil carrier.

Olive oil supplementation by itself extended lifespan by up to 18%.
The fullerene C60 + olive oil group had lifespan extended by up to 90%.

edit on 18-4-2012 by IamCorrect because: typo

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I wouldn't have thought about using this as a supplement but it might make sense.

Carbon is used to absorb toxic substances in the stomach so that less of it gets absorbed by the body. Carbon is relatively "clean". If it can enter the body and leave the body without doing damage and help to get rid of whatever "junk", makes sense that it might be beneficial and act as an antioxidant.

Would be nice to see more/longer studies.
edit on 4/18/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
This is interesting. Others testing the C60 effectiveness as a anti wrinkle cream.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I think we have a winner in the life extension dept.

Highly purified and organic solvent-free fullerene-C60 was dissolved, at nearly saturated concentration of 278 ppm, in squalane prepared from olive oil, which is designated as LipoFullerene (LF-SQ) and was examined for usage as a cosmetic ingredient with antioxidant ability. The aim of this study was to assess the anti-wrinkle formation efficacy of LF-SQ in subjects. A total of 23 Japanese women (group I: age 38.9 +/- 3.8, n = 11, group II; age 39.4 +/- 4.3, n = 12) were enrolled in an 8-week trial of LF-SQ blended cream in a randomized, matched pair double-blind study. The LF-SQ cream was applied twice daily on the right or left half of the face, and squalane blended cream (without fullerene-C60) was applied as the placebo on another half of the face. As clinical evaluations of wrinkle grades, visual observation and photographs, and silicone replicas of both crow's feet areas were taken at baseline (0 week) and at 4th and 8th weeks. Skin replicas were analyzed using an optical profilometry technique. The wrinkle and skin-surface roughness features were calculated and statistically analyzed. Subsequently, trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL), moisture levels of the stratum corneum, and visco-elasticity (suppleness: RO and elasticity: R7) were measured on cheeks by instrumental analysis. LF-SQ cream enhanced the skin moisture and the anti-wrinkle formation. LF-SQ cream that was applied on a face twice daily was not effective at 4th week, but significantly more effective than the placebo at 8th week (p < 0.05) without severe side effects. The roughness-area ratio showed significant improvement (p < 0.05) at 8th week with LF-SQ cream as compared to 0 week with LF-SQ cream, but no significant difference was detected between LF-SQ cream and the placebo. We suggest that LF-SQ could be used as an active ingredient for wrinkle-care cosmetics.

I'd live to see the before / after photo's

What interested me about the study is that they put the cream on one side of the face expecting a perfect separation. I always figured the body compensated for one side to equal the other, like when you get a sun-tan on one area and how quickly the non-tanned area tans; catching up. If so, that would make the success, more dramatic.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You are right, eating the right foods keeps the DNA running and once severely damaged it can't be repaired. I have read about what you said but didn't interpret it completely. What you say makes perfect sense of what I read.

Aren't we also supposed to have backup copies in the Mitochondria or something that can somehow be accessed. I read that somewhere and the article said these may have different copies in them than the originals being a little more primitive. I think it was original plus two backups, 1 original(ours), 1 possibly different(maternal), and 1 severely different and possibly flawed(ancient). It was one of those Journal articles where you have to look up a bunch of word definitions in a seperate browser to get the scope of it. I try to translate things into laymans terms. "strike three and you're out"

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
doubles lifespan?!

either this molecule slows down telomeric shortening,
or ,,,

it doesn't!

in which case its just another free-rad scavenger (reduces oxidative stress)...

which one is it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join