page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Fullerene C60 administration doubles rat lifespan with no toxicity

www.kurzweilai.net

Researchers at the University of Paris and colleagues fed the molecule fullerene (C60 or “buckyballs”) dissolved in olive oil to rats and found it almost doubles their lifespan, with no chronic toxicity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

It is perhaps reasonable that this structure of C60 is proving to be fundamentally beneficial in many biological and medicinal ways.

Some may see the rational symmetry in the shape and it's apparent harmonious way our physiology may make use of it.

Fullerenes are remarkable. en.wikipedia.org...

Pharmacokinetic studies show that dissolved C60 is absorbed by the gastro-intestinal tract and eliminated in a few tens of hours.

“These results of importance in the fields of medicine and toxicology should open the way for the many possible biomedical applications of C60 including cancer therapy, neurodegenerative disorders, and aging,” the researcher suggest.

“C60 can be administered orally, and as it is now produced in tons, it is no longer necessary to resort to its water-soluble derivatives, which are difficult to purify and, in contrast to pristine C60, may be toxic.

If I didn't know better, (and perhaps I don't) I would think that the C60 spheroid fullerene acts a ready-made molecular cage which traps unwanted cellular invaders or materials.

Ref.: Baati T, et al., The prolongation of the lifespan of rats by repeated oral administration of [60]fullerene, Biomaterials (2012), doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2012.03.036

www.kurzweilai.net
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
wow....

im confused how such a structure can be naturally benificial so absolutly... but SIGN ME UP!!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Although I never pursued chemistry much after highschool, I do remember a little bit, and that molecule is interesting to say the least! Very stable looking.

And very interesting, I'd be down for participating in a clinical trial.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
From a linked article in the OP article:

Specifically with respect to the increased life-expectancy, it must also be stressed that the treatment was stopped after 17 months and the EML, i.e. the estimated median lifespans, were indeed just that estimated! Before you do now start crying "fraud", you should yet take into account that, with its established health-benefits (anti-cancer, anti-heart disease, anti-Alzheimer's ,etc.) the estimated life-span could just as well be under- not overestimated! If that was the case and C60 would soon be sold at your local GNC, we would yet have to cope with a whole new problem: I mean, what do we do with all the 150y+ old-age pensioners on C60?

Source

While the longevity benefits are estimated, this little molecule is showing signs of being useful in so many other ways as well.

I'm tempted to find a supplier and test it on myself, I'm sure my liver could use the help.

The alanine transferase (a liver enzyme used to judge the "workload" of organ) and the ratio of oxidized (GSSG) to total glutathione (TGSH), where lower levels are indicative of less oxidative damage, in figure 1 (right) and figure 2 (left) and probably even more evidently, the images of the livers of the CCl4 intoxicated rodents clearly indicate that C60 is probably one of the most potent liver-protectants we know. In that,

[t]he number of necrotic areas observed in the liver sections of [intra-peritoneally treated, i.p.] animals was significantly lower than that observed in the [orally treated animals]. As C60
concentrations in the livers of [i.p. treated] animals are probably about 10 times higher than those of the livers of [orally treated animals], these results confirm the dose effect relationship
reported previously (Gharbi. 2005).

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The geometry is called a vector equilibrium. It is wonderfully stable. I am glad they are finding a health application for it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Brilliant !!!

I love this bucky ball ever since I first heard of it..

If I remember correctly, you can make it by burning carbon under a 7 hemisphere pressure which produces the C60 in a fine powder form.

You can turn it into a solid by mixing it with an every day chemical (can't remember which) and gently heating...

Which reminded me of a thread on ATS a few years ago about 'plastic tanks'
Apparently C60 is almost indestructible because of its shape.. Some people may recognize this shape and its strength in the form of a football (soccer).

greatfind.. I want some.. and i want it now !!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

C60 fullerene: shipments from 500 grams to 20 kg at 14 €/g;

14 Euros a gram??

I'll stick to Milk Thistle....

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
the molecule is stable because of it's shape which honestly isnt that surprising but the effects! oh man i would definitely be down to be a clinical trial subject as long as i got the intra dose...as it said it has to be a really high concentration in an oral does and it breaks down in about 10 hours

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It is tempting to try such an experiment. C60 is not that difficult to generate, generally speaking, and the cost is entirely negligible - of course Big Chem and Big Pharma will contrive to make it otherwise one way or another... and if not, they can lobby the tools in Congress and the Senate to make them fear it... as they seem to have done in many other cases.

I expect this will be somehow retracted... because frankly it's going to make life difficult for the industry built upon keeping us in the "petrochemical doctrine" of health management and modern living.

Here's to everyones good health... long may it last!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

your probable right about that, just as soon as it get out in too big of way they'll try to get it banned immediately. can't have us living forever without taking all those drugs that are proscribed to us

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Here's an astonisihing example of how costly it could be...

Fullerene C60 Eye Cream-500g bulk/Anti-oxidant/Brighten

$200 for 500g of eye cream

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Cheaper than coc aine!

Very interesting find this, I will definitely keep an eye on it.

I do remember a few years ago that there proposed using these as containers to transport drugs into body, or another treatment that was being researched was using carbon nanotubes, injected into a cancerous tumour, then hitting it with IR, heating the nanotubes and killing the cells... Not sure what came of that..

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Surely they would have to heavily tax it and make it helluva expensive in the first place..
It stands to reason..

Imagine 8 billion 150 year olds all unemployed and claiming benefits in todays current monetary difficulties..

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by boncho

Cheaper than coc aine!

Very interesting find this, I will definitely keep an eye on it.

I do remember a few years ago that there proposed using these as containers to transport drugs into body, or another treatment that was being researched was using carbon nanotubes, injected into a cancerous tumour, then hitting it with IR, heating the nanotubes and killing the cells... Not sure what came of that..

Still working on those things:

Internalization of C60 fullerenes into cancer cells with accumulation in the nucleus via the nuclear pore complex.

Copyright 2011 - 2012 published - Elsevier

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
500 grams is equal to 17.63698 ounces
Not bad actually.
Ever price some of those anti-wrinkle creams?
I'm tempted.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Interestingly, the Material Safety and Data Sheet (MSDS) makes it sound toxic.... but not overly so....

Makes one wonder who determined this.. and whether their cautionary claims are for the sake of liability as opposed to reality...

[[[oh well -I tried to link the MSDS sheet... but you can find a link for it below...]]]

PS - it can be bought pure.... for a very high price.... www.sigmaaldrich.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

You're slightly ridiculous for believing that we'll be sticking to this monetary system for more than 50 more years. It's ending by collapse or by revolution.

About the C60 Fullerene, I can see it being approved within the next 10 years. However, with human use, we will not know for a while if the effects will be the same as in rats. Even though these lab rats may have human genes added to them for the sake of effective prehuman trials, we will have to wait and see.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Interestingly, the Material Safety and Data Sheet (MSDS) makes it sound toxic.... but not overly so....

Makes one wonder who determined this.. and whether their cautionary claims are for the sake of liability as opposed to reality...

[[[oh well -I tried to link the MSDS sheet... but you can find a link for it below...]]]

PS - it can be bought pure.... for a very high price.... www.sigmaaldrich.com...®ion=US

Listed warning on the Sigma page:

Acute toxicity (oral, dermal, inhalation), category 4
Skin irritation, category 2
Eye irritation, category 2
Skin sensitisation, category 1
Specific Target Organ Toxicity – Single exposure, category 3

Very curious about that.
edit on 17-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Ok.. it's now turned into a price war

Try this link for a price comparison for what you've posted...

(says he crossing his fingers hoping it's exactly the same stuff)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def