It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan doctors fight to save life of baby with six legs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I really didn't know what forum to put this in, so Mods please move if needed.

AFP - Doctors in Pakistan are fighting to save the life of a baby boy born with six legs because of a rare genetic condition, hospital officials said Monday.

The infant was born to the wife of an X-ray technician a week ago, Jamal Raza, the director of National Institute of the Child Health in Karachi, told reporters.

"It is not one baby actually. They are two, one of them is premature," he said.

A doctor at the institute who did not wish to be named said the extra limbs were the result of a genetic disease which would affect only one in a million or more babies.

"The doctors are examining the infant to plan for necessary treatment to save the baby's life and ensure he lives a normal life," said a statement from the provincial health department.

Imran Shaikh, the baby's father who lives in Sukkur, around 450 kilometres (280 miles) north of Karachi, said he was grateful his son was being treated.

"We are a poor family. I am thankful to the government for helping us treating my baby," he told the media.
(Source)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me..but this story makes me sad...not hopeful. On one extreme in this society, we have celebrities announcing as casually as getting a taco at lunch that they had an abortion on the run. Obscene...vile...and evil.

On the other hand, we have people who take the sacred status of life to SUCH an extreme that even the worst deformities and horrendous birth defects are termed "challenges" and heroic measures taken to save the "life" of someone I am hard pressed to imagine feeling all that thankful later in life when they can understand what happened..and how it might have gone a different way. The story describes two babies and parts of a third essentially melded into one. This isn't a CHALLENGE or CONDITION...it's a genetic mistake of such gravity as to DEFINE the need for medical abortion as a legal and safe option.

Everyone who feels they have the absolute high ground on Abortion need read a story like this...to be reminded of humility and our place in nature. It isn't for us to FORCE mistakes of nature to live when it REQUIRES every miracle and modern technological advantage to make it happen. I believe that means we're moving Heaven and Earth to STOP nature from taking it's course with the occasional bad spurt on the family tree.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Maybe it's just me..but this story makes me sad...not hopeful. On one extreme in this society, we have celebrities announcing as casually as getting a taco at lunch that they had an abortion on the run. Obscene...vile...and evil.

What? Do tell man, this is interesting stuff. Which celebrities did this??

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Well.. Since you asked..
I was off on my little break when this broke over the weekend so I don't know if it even got picked up here. I couldn't entirely break from the site I work at though, so I'd written something for it over there. Here is the story though..

Sarah Silverman sparks outrage over controversial 'quickie' abortion joke on Twitter, angers critics

The comedienne, who is currently dating "Family Guy" writer Alec Sulkin, posted a photo of herself with a sizeable stomach on Twitter late last week with the caption: "It's a burrito!"

A few hours later, Silverman, 41, split the photo with a shot of herself showing off a taut belly.

"Got a quickie aborsh in case R v W gets overturned," she wrote. Read more: www.nydailynews.com... dLVaE
Source

That was the story which first came to mind in writing my post and reply about just about cheap life has become and how casual the aborting of it is these days. Support it, don't support it...heck, perform them yourself? It really doesn't matter to my thinking. THIS casual attitude is so wrong and into the realm of EVIL by sheer lack of decency and morality that I sometimes wonder if I woke up in a parallel universe.

She seems to view it as terribly funny...I few HER as terribly pathetic and sad for having that attitude in the first place. Sadly..it's yet another actress whose WORK I may have enjoyed, but her big mouth now insures I'll never see a film or show she's in again. Anyway.. You asked..and there she be.

How is that for the OTHER extreme to counter the extreme measures to save this ...medical issue...overseas?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
poor twins, wonder if they are separable or fused chimera?

mom is x-ray tech... hmm

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Well.. Since you asked..
I was off on my little break when this broke over the weekend so I don't know if it even got picked up here. I couldn't entirely break from the site I work at though, so I'd written something for it over there. Here is the story though..

Sarah Silverman sparks outrage over controversial 'quickie' abortion joke on Twitter, angers critics

The comedienne, who is currently dating "Family Guy" writer Alec Sulkin, posted a photo of herself with a sizeable stomach on Twitter late last week with the caption: "It's a burrito!"

A few hours later, Silverman, 41, split the photo with a shot of herself showing off a taut belly.

"Got a quickie aborsh in case R v W gets overturned," she wrote. Read more: www.nydailynews.com... dLVaE
Source

That was the story which first came to mind in writing my post and reply about just about cheap life has become and how casual the aborting of it is these days. Support it, don't support it...heck, perform them yourself? It really doesn't matter to my thinking. THIS casual attitude is so wrong and into the realm of EVIL by sheer lack of decency and morality that I sometimes wonder if I woke up in a parallel universe.

She seems to view it as terribly funny...I few HER as terribly pathetic and sad for having that attitude in the first place. Sadly..it's yet another actress whose WORK I may have enjoyed, but her big mouth now insures I'll never see a film or show she's in again. Anyway.. You asked..and there she be.

How is that for the OTHER extreme to counter the extreme measures to save this ...medical issue...overseas?

Yeah, Sarah Silverman is one twisted sick excuse of a human being. Her humor is more offensive than it is funny.

Sorry I made you sad with my post.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well if they don't remove the extra legs, he'll probably be hailed as a living god or something.
Poor little guy.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
that poor tailor

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
She will be a hell of a soccer player...

Pakistan takes the gold in the Olympics: Breaks world record 100 meter dash! 3.6 sec.!!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The was a story of few years ago of a little Indian girl born with extra limbs that was worshipped as the second coming of mother goddess. The people in her village and parents believed so much that at one point they resisted the opportunity to have surgery done to remove the extra. The operation was done successfully .

www.cbsnews.com... ..

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
SPAM removed by Admin
edit on Apr 19th 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

edit on 19-4-2012 by nobodysavedme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Its Sarah Silverman.
That is like getting offended by South Park. They feel they are not doing their jobs if your not.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire

The infant was born to the wife of an X-ray technician a week ago, Jamal Raza, the director of National Institute of the Child Health in Karachi, told reporters.
/afp/photo_1334604822358-1-0.jpg?1334691831[/img]

that is horrible.why was this "baby" not aborted.

life will be hell for it.

it will be a burden on anyone.

how can you love a deformed baby?

it will be a lab rat poked and prodded daily every hour by sick and depraved scientists.

it can't go out...it will be a living freak show.

people will point and stare.

school will be a nightmare.

it cant walk run or talk...

its awful.HORRIBLE.

why was an abortion not done?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Stuff like this happens all the time in india

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
On the other hand, we have people who take the sacred status of life to SUCH an extreme that even the worst deformities and horrendous birth defects are termed "challenges" and heroic measures taken to save the "life" of someone I am hard pressed to imagine feeling all that thankful later in life when they can understand what happened..and how it might have gone a different way. The story describes two babies and parts of a third essentially melded into one. This isn't a CHALLENGE or CONDITION...it's a genetic mistake of such gravity as to DEFINE the need for medical abortion as a legal and safe option.

It sounds, from reading the article, that this is a conjoined twin, just even less straightforward than the regular ones. There is no reason, given surgery that the 'viable' twin cannot go on to have a normal life. I am pro-choice, but just because a fetus has an abnormality, genetic or otherwise, is no reason to decide that it cannot have quality of life and in fact, become a contributing member of society. BUT that depends very much on the medical help available, and more importantly on the strength, patience and stamina of the parents. It is by no means the easy choice, but neither is giving up on a life that is growing inside you.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I really hate to use the Daily Mail as a source...but the operation has been successful and photos too.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

ETA and the article confirms it was a conjoined twin situation...although a unusual one admittedly.
edit on 19-4-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

It's not exactly a conjoined twin, it's a parasitic twin, there is a difference. A conjoined twin is still able to live and thrive and they can usually be separated. A parasitic twin never separates from the embryo while the dominant twin continues to grow, the parasitic twin doesn't and doesn't really develop properly and can get absorbed by the other twin. It only lives off the blood supply of the 'host' but is not self aware. There was a story where a boy had a parasitic twin removed from his stomach, you could see hair and really distorted features but there was no brain inside the 'head' of it.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Fighting to save the life of a human being born with such an extreme deformity is a form of cruel and unusual punishment, as far as I'm concerned. There was a day when such an unfortunate baby would be allowed to die a natural death. I do believe this is one of those cases. Remember, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Poor kid, either way. Don't think he will be having a normal life. And your right when you think about it in that scope we got people dropping dumpster babies who are perfectly normal physically other then there life circumstance that they happen to be born into. And then you got stuff like this, which is appreciated and should be done, but in terms of priorities its all screwed up and makes little sense when looked from afar on that scope.

But the whole Sara Silverman things is kind of pathetic they must be running out of jokes or somethings, because it has been getting really slow out there in that department on the tube. No really I run into funnier stuff on the forums daily then what I ever seen come from Sara Silveman. She really need some new jokes, or new writers.

edit on 19-4-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join