It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer makes men smarter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
You heard it right.

After all those years of the teetotalers trying to keep booze from our hands, a study has come out showing that those who have striven to keep beer away from the masses may actually be impairing their intelligence.

Alcohol And IQ
Rejoice: Beer Makes Men Smarter

Researchers selected 40 healthy young men for the test. They were split up with 20 staying sober and 20 getting sauced up to 0.07 blood-alcohol level, which is 0.01 short of what Charlie Sheen calls breakfast and what most American states would consider intoxicated.

Not only did the inebriated group solve 40% more of the brainteasers in the test, but they also completed it faster than the sober group.

Often times, when we get too focused on one thing, it blinds us from other opportunities and our creativity is hampered. Now we know that a couple of pints of beer is exactly what the brain needs to start seeing outside the box.

Ask Men.com

All that anti-booze propaganda they subject us to day after day must be part of their evil plan to dumb down the population.

edit on 4/17/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Lol some people drink so much intelligence becomes none existance.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yeah that's why they outlawed alcohol before. To stop the masses becoming too smart for their own good.

True story!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I've been testing the theory for years with mixed results

At least I now know for certain I'm expanding my horizons with that nice cold beer. Makes me want to open one!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
That's funny, cause I did my own study(called real life) and I found that drunk people are f'n idiots.

I let my beer drinking bro sleep over and he pissed on my TV thinking it was the toilet. Real smart.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

In my experience wardrobes often look like toilets to the inebriated brain.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think it´s because they drank just enough alcohol to feel more relaxed than the other group, but not so much that it impaired their ability to think.

If you are relaxed you generally perform better.

Ah, the OP already said something like that.

edit on 17-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
How much is enough beer I wonder? 6 pack a night be enough to increase my intelligence?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Researchers selected 40 healthy young men for the test. They were split up with 20 staying sober and 20 getting sauced up to 0.07 blood-alcohol level, which is 0.01 short of what Charlie Sheen calls breakfast and what most American states would consider intoxicated.

That's not very sauced up

Breakfast beer, for most guys.
Depends on the size of the person too, I'm only allowed one beer to be illegal, my husband is larger, he can have more.

People are even still allowed to drive at that level. 0.08 is where the driving impaired law kicks in. In some provinces, 0.05 is where they can pull you off the road for 24 hours.

www.cba.org...

The ASD tests for alcohol in your body, and it can show a “pass,” “warn,” or “fail.” It shows a warn for blood-alcohol levels between 50 and 100 milligrams of alcohol in 100 milliliters of blood, and a fail for levels of 100 milligrams or higher. The legal limit is 80 milligrams, called .08. If the ASD shows a pass, the police will probably let you leave. (But that’s not automatic – see the section below called, “What can happen under the BC Motor Vehicle Act – even if you’re not over .08.”) If the ASD shows a warn or fail, the police may demand you take a breathalyzer test.

If they were to drink a lot of beer, I would think the "smarter" results, might topple into the other direction.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The more relaxed of a state I get in, the clearer I can process the rapid thoughts.

finding the no-no point where you get sloppy is another test altogether.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is not true!

I used to drink beer every night for nearly a year, during that time my memory was trash even during sober periods.

I rarely drink anymore and now I have seen dramatic improvements in my memory, problem solving, and reading comprehension.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
here comes what i would call the 'design factor'

scientists figured ...and this is my theory or opinion too:
The males brain is larger in volume, whereas the female brain lacks in volume but has a higher grade of connectivity, making it likewise equal if it comes to measuring IQ.

as a result we see us ladies solve multi-threading things better than men, but have a problem if it comes to straight logic, which is the man's domain for simply being so much inunfluenced by other 'threads'.

The study being posted by the OP, has a specific side-effect.

in my theory a larger brain with more cells (men) has a specific ammount of spare-cells, right ?

so go on guys ..drink yourself under some table if you dare, the cells you loose due to alcohol are easy with enough spare

but...
remember if YOU are drunk (as the men) WE (as the women at your side) will confiscate your car-keys and drive you home, with all the lack of driving skills you (men) always complained about us (women)

and given that picture the 40% plus do not matter much, anymore, don't you think ?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
beer makes me FEEL smarter, and more handsome. I have at times considered myself the chosen one after upping the dose.

J/K

Interesting read OP. Nice. Now I have an argument for when I get crap for enjoying a brewsky. Honey, I am enriching myself and so increasing our survivability by maximizing my critical thinking and natural analytical abilities.......

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I've heard that drinking 3 or more alcohol beverages a day is concidered being an alcoholic. I personally don't drink because I get ignorant when I do. For some reason my lizard brain takes over.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TMJ1972

Sounds like the Buffalo theory:

edit on 4/17/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Maybe the 20 people out of this huge 40 person test were just smarter to begin with. Maybe the sober ones were just kind of ticked that they werent allowed beer before the test. The smarter 20 didnt even have enough for a buzz. I hate these bs studies

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A beer an hour will put you about .05 mark, on average.

So this is like taking a shot, and having a few sips of beer, then testing.

There's a curve between benefits and detriments with alcohol, and this one proves it.

Most people function a little better when they "take the edge off", and have a little beer.

I see no reason to think otherwise.

In my case, I'm naturally stung up pretty hardcore. It takes me several drinks to relax. Even after a good 6-9 beers in a night, I'm often processing faster and more in depth than without a single one.

This coming from someone who has been sober all year as an experiment to see if it's beneficial or not.

So far, mixed results, but I'm sticking to it for the rest of the year..at the very least I'll regenerate most of my liver from the 15+ years of alcoholic abuse.
edit on 17-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Folks seem to be concluding that consuming beer equates to intoxication.

Or that a BAC of .07% is on par with friday night drunkenness.

.07% is nothing. They arent testing lushes or boozed up college kids unable to stand or angry lifetime drunks who beat their wives.

What most here seem to be describing doesnt come on until about .2% territory. Far beyond .07%.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm calling shenanigans here... Now they try and tell us that booze makes someone more intelligent!?!? Or at least it helps someone solve "brain teasers" easier. Grow up in an alcoholic family and try and answer "yes" to that question. I lived through it for 25 plus years, alcohol does NOT make people smarter in any way shape or form. This is clearly anti-marijuana propaganda(Mod's please don't delete this).

In a day or two we will see a study (funded by big pharma no doubt) showing how bad this little plant is. When in reality 10,000 years of documented marijuana use and not one related death. It's "reefer madness" all over again. See it all the time here in Colorado... A few questions. Has anyone ever heard. "Ooh that Joe got so stoned at the game he ended up going home and beating his wife" We have all heard this one "Ooh that Joe got so drunk at the game he ended up going home and beating his wife". LoL no offence to anyone named Joe reading this...

One only needs to go to the local bar/pub to prove large groups of drunk people lack a sort of common sense. All this is going to do is give people more reason to drink regulary because they think it actually makes them smarter... If you believe this I have some beautiful beach front property in florida I would like to sell you...

Wake up people! TPTB want to keep you dumbed down and alcohol is there posion. It destroys countless families, friendships, and lives. Yet we are constantly bombarded by beer ad's on TV depicting stupid alcohol related behavior as a funny good thing. It makes me sick! When did stupidity become so socially acceptable?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join