It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Statement on Tax Freedom Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

"My ultimate goal remains to repeal the 16th Amendment and end the tyranny of the IRS once and for all." -- Ron Paul

What a message! This is something I'm pretty sure any American can get behind...especially on Tax Day!

Ron Paul issued the following statement regarding today being Tax Freedom Day, the day when average Americans finally stop working to pay federal, state, and local taxes.

"Knowing that every penny the average American has earned from January 1st until today has gone to pay federal, state, or local taxes is a frightening reminder of how much liberty modern Americans have lost. Unfortunately, even after Tax Freedom Day, Americans will still suffer from the Federal Reserve's regressive and hidden inflation tax, which erodes their purchasing power for the benefit of big banks and big-spending politicians.

"As a Congressman, I have never voted to raise taxes or increase spending, which is why I have consistently been named one of the top 'Taxpayers' Best Friends' in Congress by the non-partisan National Taxpayers Union. As President, I will work to reduce the burden of taxes and spending on the American people by passing my 'Plan to Restore America.'

"This Plan not only cuts $1 trillion in the first year of my administration and balances the budget by the third year, but it provides much-needed tax relief to the American people. It does this by permanently extending the Bush-era tax rates, lowering the corporate tax rate to 15 percent, allowing American companies to repatriate capital without paying additional taxes, abolishing the death tax, and ending all taxes on personal savings.

The message that everyone needs to hear:

"My ultimate goal remains to repeal the 16th Amendment and end the tyranny of the IRS once and for all. Of the four men seeking the presidential nomination of one of the major parties - President Obama, Governor Romney, Speaker Gingrich, and myself - I am the only one who has consistently opposed increases in taxes and spending. I am also the only one who has consistently fought the Federal Reserve's assault on the middle class' standard of living. My campaign to Restore America Now is the clear choice for any American concerned about rolling back taxes, cutting spending, and curbing inflation."

Ron Paul sees it. This has never been a partisan issue. He knows very well what the party lines stand for. He joined the GOP for the exposure that he could get during the election cycle.

I still laugh at the middle-lying-liberals who won't get behind Paul because "he's a GOPer"

Read the article: Source Article
edit on 4/17/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Pardon my ignorance but I have one question for people talking about taking the IRS down: Wouldn't the lack of tax money just completely take down a country financially? I mean if the US can't handle it with the tax money they are getting now then how are they going to cope without?

I'm not trolling, it's a genuine question!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I still laugh at the middle-lying-liberals who won't get behind Paul because "he's a GOPer"

I like Ron Paul. He says all the right things but Im curious about what you think about this. Ron Paul is in it for himself as far as the GOP goes. If I was a diehard Republican I would be very annoyed that he will not rule out a run as an independant. If he does do this it will really hurt Romneys chances and the hopes of the Republican Party. The last I heard when Fox News was pressing him on the matter he said the he "couldnt concieve of it" but I dont think thats good enough. He is a pretend Republican of sorts. He cares not for the greater good of the party. Only for himself. Dont you think that would turn people off? It sticks out for me.

I would have prefered that he run as independant all along. Im still not sure if he will do it,probably not but if he wanted to draw democrats/liberals it would have been a better way to go.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

I think a big part to the solution would be tarriffs on foreign imports. The government would get their income, since we import so much anyway, and the higher cost of foreign goods would allow American companies to compete with countries that use slave labor wages and prison labor. It would be a much needed shot in the arm for US manufactuing.

That, plus requiring the Federal Government to limit itself to its clearly defined Constitutional role.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

We have a system in place to handle the countries financial obligations and taxes, it has been in place for a long time. It only gets ignored, but it is called the US Treasury.

I want my taxes going to the US Treasury, as it should be.

Right now they go to the Federal Reserve.

And there is the problem.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Oh yes those horrible wicked taxes, we must get rid of them. I mean really what do we need roads, schools and the military for anyway? I bet those people that got rocked by all those tornadoes would be happy to know were shutting down disaster relief as well. Ron Paul the biggest joke in politics.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This isn't perfect, but this should help you understand how the monetary value would be replaced...

Everybody would pay tax on every product and service. It would work like this:

A) The Internal Revenue Service would be abolished, along with its $11 billion annual budget. This would help reduce our budget deficit.

B) No more payments would need to be made to the nonexistent IRS and the tax code would be scrapped. No more April 15 deadline. No more forms to fill out, no 1040, 1099, W-2 etc. All federal taxes would be collected through the NST. In other words, you would pay a part of your federal tax automatically every time you made a purchase, like a state sales tax.

C) The $279 billion annual savings for tax preparation would be a huge boost to the economy, as well as all the time and energy saved.

D) All goods and services should be treated equally. Let’s say that the tax rate was set hypothetically at 8%. That means that a can of soup would be taxed 8%. Car repair would be taxed 8%. Yachts would be taxed 8%. Roofing shingles would be taxed 8%. Paper towels would be taxed 8%. Bread would be taxed 8%. Computers would be taxed 8%. And on and on. No exceptions. Because the moment you start to make exceptions for this and that, it becomes a spoils system like the current tax code.

E) Therefore all people who pay for goods and services would pay the taxes. The more you buy, the more you pay. Even the poor would have to pay a small amount in federal taxes. Today they don’t pay anything, which is unfair to those who do pay. Everyone should contribute something.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
First the Congress always has had the ability to tax income. The 16th Amendment did nothing more than to end situations where they could not do so uniformly. Second a National sales tax is the worst possible idea imaginable, increasing costs and effectively making the poor even poorer. It would also require Government revenue to be based entirely on consumption. So what happens when we have a recession? And you better believe we will have lots of deep recessions, because that is what happens when you deregulate.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

Not counting payroll taxes the income tax on individuals and corporations account for 51% of total revenue to the federal government. The issue is that with the ability to tax then there is no incentive for the federal government to not continue to expand. For every dollar they take in they spend two. The only way to stop the expansion is to reduce the available money, so that they will stop getting into wars and social programs and a myriad of other government programs that are not their business. At the same time look at the corruption that is rampant as various individuals and corporations compete to buy government favors. Although most of the public has been sold that everything can be solved by government, everything the government touches becomes extravagant and overrun with waste and corruption. One estimate is that for every dollar spent by the government as much as 40% is wasted or stolen. Think about the fact that Obama and Romney are about to spend over a billion dollars to get elected to a $400,000/year job. This should give you a hint that they intend to pass out favors far beyond the salary.

The income tax is also used for social engineering to control your behavior. Prime example in home mortgage interest deduction to incentive buying houses. This power to control how you spend your money results in the disasters like the housing collapse of the housing market after many people were incentivised to get in.

Please do not worry that without the income tax that your world will end. The roads will get built by the people that need them. We may not build bridges to nowhere, but no one needs that. Energy will be supplied, but failed technology like wind and solar will no longer exist because of lack of tax credits.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

I would have prefered that he run as independant all along. Im still not sure if he will do it,probably not but if he wanted to draw democrats/liberals it would have been a better way to go.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

The better way to go would have been for the GOP and DNC to not monopolize our political system and join forces to ensure that no one gets to hear anything besides a republican or a democrat. Did you enjoy listnening to the other parties at the debates or perhaps their news coverage on the MSM on where they stand.

The two corrupted/bought and paid for parties control 100% of our government ,our laws,and our economy. While the lobbyist control both the GOP and the DNC and the MEDIA.

The funnier thing is the idea that Romney is a Republican. It wouldn't be to big of a leap to ponder on the idea that maybe the Democrats are using Romney as the Trojan horse to infiltrate the republican party.

edit on 17-4-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
Oh yes those horrible wicked taxes, we must get rid of them. I mean really what do we need roads, schools and the military for anyway? I bet those people that got rocked by all those tornadoes would be happy to know were shutting down disaster relief as well. Ron Paul the biggest joke in politics.

Interesting, I see where you are going with this. Tornadoes are caused by taxes, because prior to taxes their is no way that we could have survived a tornado. Hence , Tornadoes didn't exist.

edit on 17-4-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
Pardon my ignorance but I have one question for people talking about taking the IRS down: Wouldn't the lack of tax money just completely take down a country financially? I mean if the US can't handle it with the tax money they are getting now then how are they going to cope without?

I'm not trolling, it's a genuine question!

No tax money the IRS collects pays for a single government service. It all pays interest on the debt. See the Grace Commission Report. And no it would not take the country down financially the economy would take off like a rocket. It is what is holding the country down now...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

I couldn't agree more about tariffs. This is what made America great in the first place. I wish more people would think like this.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Wouldn't the lack of tax money just completely take down a country financially?

Yes it would, but Republicans would rather destroy the country out of spite than see anyone else have a good quality of life. All they want is to have their trailer and gun collection, the country be damned.

Sadly, you are drinking the kool-aid if you think its Republicans versus Democrats and that they are on separate teams. Party ideals don't come to play in Washington what so ever. Party ideals is a tool for diversion to keep the masses feuding among themselves.

As a democrat you should be happy to have two democrats to pick from on the next election [Romney vs Obama]. The only way it could get better for you as a democrat is if it was an Obama-Romney ticket. That way the Repulican Romney can show Obama how he was able to pass socialized healthcare.

The only two teams that truly exist:
(GOP, DNC, Lobbyist) VS (tax payers)

Its not about which party is in control its about which candidate can be controlled. Look at Obama and Romneys top contributors and you will see a small difference. Hence, why the Media (lobbyist client controlled) is pushing for an Obama vs Romney election year. Either way lobbyist win , and you will see little change besides a label ('R' or 'D') on the next POTUS !

As long as people keep thinking its a Republican versus Democrat thing nothing will get better.

edit on 18-4-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join