It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Very well put. There has to be a reason for this behavior. They need to find out what that is and get this child help (if that is what she needs.)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Get used to it. This will continue until we all perceive this as normal.
The government wants everyone to know that they are under their control -kids included.
Call it Hitler Youth lite.

As far as the child goes she needs a reminder to her bottom end.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
The government wants everyone to know that they are under their control -kids included.

I wish there was some rule against comparing everything to the Nazis.

It really makes a mockery of the forum, not to mention the person posting.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is why people should just stop having kids altogether. Do people really want to bring someone into existence in a world like this? If it's this bad now, imagine what it will be like in a few decades. Having children nowadays is just cruel when you think about what they'll have to deal with later on.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

The mentality of control is germane to much of what the Nazi party did, including indoctrinating children. I understand your point and agree but in this case we'll have to agree to disagree.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The mentality of control is germane to much of what the Nazi party did, including indoctrinating children, Sorry, if I have offended anyone.

It's hyperbole.

The child was being violently disruptive.

You seem to be under the impression her being detained means she was slammed to the floor, pepper sprayed and thrown in a moldy cell to rot.

Of course, what ACTUALLY happened, is she was handcuffed for her own protection,and put in a secure area until her parents could be contacted.

If the teachers had aggressively detained her, I bet you would be calling them 'nazis', too.

Please, dont send your kids to school. We dont want them.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LevelHeaded
reply to post by Nite_wing

But why was the police called in the first place? Why was she put into the cruiser? Why couldn't the school staff have handled a 6yo without police involvement?

No matter what the school would have done, it would have been wrong.
Had they tried to talk and quiet her, still may have escalated and hurt someone. Then they would be sued by the other parents. I would suspect they already tried that and it didn't work.

If an adult laid any hands on her, they would have found themselves facing suspension, dismissal and even jail. Check the news, it happens all the time.

As for her being unhandcuffed in the back of the squad, she could have broken door handles, broken locks, kicked the windows and many other things which she could have done to injure herself. Yes, maybe even stuck her little hands through the steel grate and cut or broken her wrists.

Maybe we should just make a big padded canvas sock and put it on them until they settle down. Would that suit the cop-haters?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
I fully expect people to defend this action by the police. Thats how it is these days.

Its a very sad state of affairs when it has become acceptable to cuff, and place a 6-year old in a cell. This is not how you treat children.
Its a crime by the people that allow this behaviour to continue.

Its like something you would expect to see in some sc-fi film set in the future where children are arrested and prosecuted just like adults.

Its probably safe to assume this will eventually become the norm in the US. The general population seem too stupid to see what is happening in the country.

How would you have handled this? Instead of complaining about the actions of others, why don't you give constructive instructions?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
I fully expect people to defend this action by the police. Thats how it is these days.

Its a very sad state of affairs when it has become acceptable to cuff, and place a 6-year old in a cell. This is not how you treat children.
Its a crime by the people that allow this behaviour to continue.

Its like something you would expect to see in some sc-fi film set in the future where children are arrested and prosecuted just like adults.

Its probably safe to assume this will eventually become the norm in the US. The general population seem too stupid to see what is happening in the country.

How would you have handled this? Instead of complaining about the actions of others, why don't you give constructive instructions?

Dude, its far easier to complain about how people dealt with a situation than actually deal with a situation yourself.

Just blame the cops/schools/government... anyone but yourself. :-)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What ?!!!! "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

Gee Now what do you think would happen if this kids parents were to handcuff their own child for a temper tantrum. You think the kid would be taken away from the parents and them charged with child abuse? hmmmm....different set of rules for some it seems.

And they wonder why the general public are becoming so hostile and un-trusting of the police in general. It will get worse until that one final catalyst event or situation that is the spark to set off a rebellion soon....Mark my words!...I can feel it in my bones, it's coming.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
ETA: Obviously the child's parents and the school system have failed thus far in raising the child to respect authority. Most of the blame rests on the parents,

edit on 17-4-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Why do you think the school system has anything to do with raising this child?
Their job is to teach readin'. ritin' and 'rithmatic.
Oh, I forgot, they are also supposed to teach about sex, abortion, and birth control but nobody ever required schools to teach about self-control since the 50's.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Am I the only one noting the irony of the small-government types blaming everyone (school, teachers, cops) but the parents?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
What ?!!!! "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

Gee Now what do you think would happen if this kids parents were to handcuff their own child for a temper tantrum. You think the kid would be taken away from the parents and them charged with child abuse? hmmmm....different set of rules for some it seems.

And they wonder why the general public are becoming so hostile and un-trusting of the police in general. It will get worse until that one final catalyst event or situation that is the spark to set off a rebellion soon....Mark my words!...I can feel it in my bones, it's coming.

Yes, there are indeed different rules for police than regular folks. For one, police are allowed to detain and handcuff people when they are being unruly.

Here's a tip: instead of blaming the police for everything, how about a little personal responsibility. Irrational cop-hatred is rampant on ATS.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

It is ironic. I'm a small-government type, but my comments are in the other thread that got closed. Yes, there are 6 years worth of blame that should rest on the parents, and 30 minutes worth of blame that should rest on the teacher, principal, and cop. A kid doesn't go so apeshyte crazy as to bite a doorknob and jump up and down on a paper shredder without some serious issues at home.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

A Kindergartner in handcuffs...get real man seriously how can you as a moral human being I would hope even think this is OK! I can tell you as a parent myself that children at this age do have temper-tantrums and some more intense than others. A temper tantrum is not an example of bad parents. A adult COP(PEACE OFFICER) you would think could handle a kindergartner without handcuffs. If he or she can not then it only proves that the officer is in the wrong field of work.
edit on 4/17/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/17/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

being arrested at 6 by cops for being naughty shows the school is not capable of handling the children placed in it's care.
Bleeding hearts who - Bleeding hearts "Oh please help us officer a little girl is running amok" Pathetic

'naughty'. lol

This was more than 'naughty'. You should actually read past the headline before forming an opinion. This child was breaking things, tore a bookshelf of a wall, and injured an adult.

Yes naughty - Not some hardened criminal -
Very much an assumption on your part that I did not read the full article -
Do you often make unsubstantiated remarks to undermine
when you have no answers of validity to offer-
Oh a child breaking things My God what is the world coming to perhaps she was possessed by demons or just plain throwing a "Paddy" as children tend to do when having a bad day.
My cat is really being bad - stealing fish off the table and when I say NO she just snarls at me - Best call the swat team in to sort her out eh!
edit on 17-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

edit on 17-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I still, personally, don't see enough evidence in the news that makes me think the cops or the school are to blame at all.

They did what they could with a difficult situation, and I feel criticizing them for doing what they felt they had to do smells funny.

We all know if the teachers had used more force to detain the kid, the parents would have probably sued. So what choice are they left?

Cuffing the child is not violent, nor is putting the child in a holding area.

Some on this thread who criticize the police action have suggested the child should be drugged, or beaten. Now those are violent and absurd suggestions.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

being arrested at 6 by cops for being naughty shows the school is not capable of handling the children placed in it's care.
Bleeding hearts who - Bleeding hearts "Oh please help us officer a little girl is running amok" Pathetic

'naughty'. lol

This was more than 'naughty'. You should actually read past the headline before forming an opinion. This child was breaking things, tore a bookshelf of a wall, and injured an adult.

Yes naughty - Not some hardened criminal -
Very much an assumption on your part that I did not read the full article -
Do you often make unsubstantiated remarks to undermine
when you have no answers of validity to offer-
Oh a child breaking things My God what is the world the coming to perhaps she possessed by demons or just plain throwing a "Paddy" as children tend to do when having a bad day.
My cat is really being bad - stealing fish off the table and when I say NO she just snarls at me - Best call the swat team in to sort her out eh!

Talk about hyperbole. They didnt call in the 'SWAT team. NOr was the child just being 'naughty'. The child was acting violent, and the teacher shave little to no legal right to aggressively detain.They called the cops, because that is the cops job. To deal with an unruly situation.

You seem dead-set on characterizing the cuffing and isolating as violent, even though there is nothing to suggest it was.

You just hate cops, and likely balm others for your own problems.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Wow.. thanks for the catch. I disagree with your take, but I appreciate the story.

I was outraged about the kid being arrested in grade school for simply sitting and going limp. Refusing to cooperate at all. That seems so over the top that the cop who couldn't handle a limp little boy needed a change of work. Perhaps a flower shop would have been more fitting for the man.

In THIS case though, where is the comparison? I sure see none. This wasn't a kid being uncooperative and saying 'screw you..make me!'. Kids are kids and they do those things...Oh do they ever...but I digress. THIS little bundle of energy was the Tasmanian devil on a rampage by the descriptions and detailed account of the incident.

Now this little kid is 6. Half my son's age. Do I blame HER? Well.. yes.. actually. To a point, I do. Self Control isn't age specific when a kid's out of diapers. She ought to know better than to attack the world around her when she's mad..and perhaps a cop and a filthy cell will serve as a needed lesson.

I blame the PARENTS more though. Oh the nerve... their little princess tears apart the school office and they can only bitch that she wasn't allowed to continue and do MORE damage. Handcuffs make them mad?? Well..Cops seem happy with TASING kids these days. Would that have been better?? I'm sure the case could have been made. I think handcuffs WERE the restraint being shown...and they're lucky the cops did. A violent, out of control wild child leaves little for options that won't badly injure the child in the process of regaining control. Ask me.. I know with my own son.

Personally, between the kids reaction to the world when she doesn't get her way with a cherry on top coupled with the parents reaction to first blame others for how they REACTED to a problem which never should have happened...I'd be all for a full state investigation by Child Protective Services. Something is rotten as garbage in that household...and the kid is as clear a sign as a neon billboard.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I still, personally, don't see enough evidence in the news that makes me think the cops or the school are to blame at all.

They should have called Child Protective Services for someone trained in how to handle children. As I said in the other thread, this child could have been a victim herself? What if she were assaulted at the school, and she didn't trust anyone there in the room, and she didn't trust the police, because she had bad experiences with the police before? The cuffs and confinement only added to her mental anguish, fear, and distrust.

The school should have had counselors that could have dealt with this, the teacher and principal should have training to deal with this, and the cop should have known he was not trained to deal with this and called for an expert in the field. The other students could have been moved to another classroom temporarily, and someone could have helped the child instead of escalating it further.

I totally agree that 99% of the blame lies with the parents, but I also see that cuffs and a holding cell for a 6 year old is NEVER the right thing to do. It serves no positive purpose whatsoever. And charges? Actual criminal charges? On a 6 year old? If a 6 year old can tell right from wrong on a legal level, then she should be able to drink and drive and watch rated R or even rated X movies as well!

Cuffs, Cell, Charges in the same sentence as 6 year old, is absurd.

edit on 17-4-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join