It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
reply to post by greeneyedleo

That fact that many people see having the police restrain an unruly six year old as acceptable shows its already too late to try and save the soceity.

I have dealt with many unruly children , unruly animals, unruly adults. You would expect one of the teachers in the school would have the social skills needed to take control of the situation.

I know I cannot change anyones mind on this matter.

I just find it very depressing that people find it acceptable for adults to put handcuffs on a child and place them in a cell. A six year old. So many leaping to defend this action. I cannot help you if you find nothing wrong with this action.

It's funny how you characterize being restrained and held in a room as some form of horrible abuse while totally disregarding the safety of the other children in the classroom.

Perhaps your child routinely engages in tantrums that destroy property and threaten other people around. But most kids do not.

I notice you blame everyone but the parents.

Interesting, that.
edit on 17-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Teachers and Schools are well trained to deal with a wide range of behavior from students.

incorrect. There are taught time outs or calling the parents. They are specifically taught NOT to touch a child to discipline them.

[And nothing this girl did was out of the ordinary "range" of behavior, ie. temper tantrums occur.

incorrect. Biting door nobs and trying to smash glass is not in the normal range of behavior.

She is 5.

incorrect. 6

The parents are the ones with the right to sue.

incorrect. The school smartly nuetralized this by calling the police. That's likely what the parents are most upset about.

Sure a bookshelf, but thats nothing.

incorrect. It's property. It was used as a weapon.

Psychological damage, and the fear phobia this child will have of all police, in fact, such an event could cause severe developmental problems, including School Phobia, Cause Introversion and lead to lifelong disabilities.

The child and her home environment forced this issue. Not the school Look at root cause.

Its child abuse, its OBSCENE.

Incorrect. It's acting within the law. There was nothing sexual.

Now while the average sue everyone mentality is shallow, when it comes to Government Services and Abuse of citizens by these supposedly trained professionals, SUING IS WHAT MAKES THE SYSTEM LESS CORRUPT!

incorrect. It causes weakness and lack of accountability. Charging this child with assault and making the parents feel the sting from it will make the child less corrupt.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You have a certain child, that is either normal, ie non developmentally delayed, well behaved, with a certain temperament.

I have a wide range of children, none threw temper tantrums in school, but their friends did, and they are indeed very normal. Even learning diabled is normal and fits on its own bell curves. Quite frankly, they could have thrown temper tantrums at school but were far too shy to do so.

There is a wide range of behaviors, temperaments, developmental delays. And all the professionals are well trained to deal with things.

Your comment did not display undersanding of children in general, just a few children.

www.sixtysecondparent.com...

answers.yahoo.com...

If there is a problem with a child's behavior that cannot be assessed as immediate needs, ie. she is worn out, tired, hungry, and it repeats, they normally begin testing for various learning disabilities.

But that is not the first course.

Parents and Teachers meet up and discuss long terrm strategies and many other school related things.

I've been in many meetings with my childrens care providers and they are very well trained, in what to do, and match up services very well.

This was absolute abuse of a very young child, and likely to cause lifelong phobias and traumas.

And one other, children of that age, vary enormously on their brain wiring and maturity. There is not a "one size fits all and my kid who is by the way perfect and normal, is the only normal child, and all behaviors "Wrong".

That might be a typical unedcuated parent, but not a well trained professional.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You have a certain child, that is either normal, ie non developmentally delayed, well behaved, with a certain temperament.

I have a wide range of children, none threw temper tantrums in school, but their friends did, and they are indeed very normal. Even learning diabled is normal and fits on its own bell curves. Quite frankly, they could have thrown temper tantrums at school but were far too shy to do so.

There is a wide range of behaviors, temperaments, developmental delays. And all the professionals are well trained to deal with things.

Your comment did not display undersanding of children in general, just a few children.

www.sixtysecondparent.com...

answers.yahoo.com...

If there is a problem with a child's behavior that cannot be assessed as immediate needs, ie. she is worn out, tired, hungry, and it repeats, they normally begin testing for various learning disabilities.

But that is not the first course.

Parents and Teachers meet up and discuss long terrm strategies and many other school related things.

I've been in many meetings with my childrens care providers and they are very well trained, in what to do, and match up services very well.

This was absolute was abuse of a very young child, and likely to cause lifelong phobias and traumas.

And one other, children of that age, vary enormously on their brain wiring and maturity. There is not a "one size fits all and my kid who is by the way perfect and normal, is the only normal child, and all behaviors "Wrong".

That might be a typical unedcuated parent, but not a well trained professional.

All that is well and good. But the school and police were right to remove the immediate threat to other students and the child herself.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
A damn good thrashing every day would not go amiss
If that does not work then there is always the electric chair to shake some sense into them
Whats next swat teams for the Amish.
Oh yeah forgot the world is going mad and this is but a symptom of it
God forbid we take responsibility when we can simply call the cops to take out naughty 6 year olds

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MattNC

You must live in Nazi Germany, THE POLICE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CALLED! THE PARENTS SHOULD HAVE.

In our school, they take the child to sit next to the principal, he is tall and has been known to chase down kids when needed. They don't call the police.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

reply to post by MattNC

You must live in Nazi Germany, THE POLICE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CALLED! THE PARENTS SHOULD HAVE.

In our school, they take the child to sit next to the principal, he is tall and has been known to chase down kids when needed. They don't call the police.

You didn't read the article. Parent was called multi times.

The child was raging. The school was right.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

No. If the parents refuse to try to correct the situation then, I guess although I don't want to say it, CPS should be called in to investigate the family. If the parents can not or will not accept responsibility to parent their child, then other steps should be taken for the health, well being, and safety of the child. This should only be a last resort after all other options have been exhausted/refused to correct the situation. It seems that it would boil down to what's best for the child - Staying in the environment that has lead to this point or being removed form the parents. The lesser of two crappy deals.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
What school in any first world nation, calls the police to deal with a kindergarden studen or primary grades?

NONE!

If there is injury, medical help is available or called, they time kids out, restrain if absolutely necessary, and have spots to put them, and call the parents. Note, this case was kindergarden, have you noticed them at your school? They're tiny. Adults are designed by nature to deal with small children, without police.

These cases that has been the news quite a lot has a made in America price tag!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

What school in any first world nation, calls the police to deal with a kindergarden studen or primary grades?

The one with a raging child, the that doesn't want to get sued. the one concerned about all their students' safety, the ones that realize they needed help with the raging child, the one that did the smart thing.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Calling the police was the right thing to do. Teachers are supposed to teach Not restrain violent children.

I think people's reactions in this thread highlight how we have accepted that police are a militarized force, only meant to be used for violence, instead of the actual mediators they are actually intended to be.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

NONE!

If there is injury, medical help is available or called, they time kids out, restrain if absolutely necessary, and have spots to put them, and call the parents. Note, this case was kindergarden, have you noticed them at your school? They're tiny. Adults are designed by nature to deal with small children, without police.

These cases that has been the news quite a lot has a made in America price tag!

Right. A 'time out'. What a great example of the kind of parenting which likely lead to this child's violent outburst.

Could the school have dealt with the child? Sure. But then the same people would say the school was out of line for restraining the child.

The real problem is parents who refuse to discipline their children and rely on 'time outs' because they dont know have to teach respect.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by MattNC

HYPERBOLE ALERT!

Ten bucks says if the principal had FURTHER Tried to restrain the child beyond what he already did, the parent would have sued.

Its whiny parents who dont discipline their children, then dump them on the public and expect THEM to do it for the, and then criticize their tactics afterwords that are the problem.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I have worked on projects with so called wild out of control kids - It is how you deal with them that affects their behavior. If I had called the cops they would have laughed at me - quite rightly too.
If you can not deal with a naughty 6 year old - you should not be in the job.

edit on 17-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Not only is the whole procedure absolutely wrong and likely to cause massive psychological problems for the child, but there are other issues involved here as well. Now this child could be very difficult, I don't know. I've met some hard cases, kids can range from stubborn strong little pit bull types to shy and easily scared. The shy ones can still have big temper tantrums from time to time.

Many things relate to episodes like that, from the child's comfort level, ability to conform to the school's schedules, home difficulties, just a wide range of things, some normal and some environmental.

However, a kindergarden student also has a wide range of brain development, wiring, and what not. There are many children forced into kindergarden who should not be there yet, they are not ready. There are many 5 year olds that have brain maturity and wiring more akin to a 3-4 year old, and who are not able to fit into adult school scheduling, they're not mature enough. This kind of brain development, by the way, in no way reflects their later performance in life. Unless of course a fearful episode crushes their core and inhibits their development, such as police arresting.

Kindergarden teachers also know what I just wrote and will discuss such things with parents. My brother had to be returned home and held back in grade 1. There was no kindergarden. At 6 he was like a 4 year old, and wouldn't go in with the bell, after recess, he would say, "NO, I'm playing!" As if he was 4.

There is a vast difference in maturity and development in children of that age.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

I have worked on projects with so called wild out of control kids - It is how you deal with them that affects their behavior. If I had called the cops they would have laughed at me - quite rightly too.

The violent and destructive behavior had gone past naughty. That's clear to any intelligent person.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

So drug the child instead of just restraining them.

There is much naivety in your remarks. Apparently you've never seen an emotionally disturbed child in action.
There are certain certifications which must be met in order to successfully restrain a child so they won't be injured during the process. At times the kicking and biting.. places the person attempting to restrain the child in danger, so, again, Yes. Sometimes medications are the best way to go until the child calms down.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Not only is the whole procedure absolutely wrong and likely to cause massive psychological problems for the child, but there are other issues involved here as well. Now this child could be very difficult, I don't know. I've met some hard cases, kids can range from stubborn strong little pit bull types to shy and easily scared. The shy ones can still have big temper tantrums from time to time.

Many things relate to episodes like that, from the child's comfort level, ability to conform to the school's schedules, home difficulties, just a wide range of things, some normal and some environmental.

However, a kindergarden student also has a wide range of brain development, wiring, and what not. There are many children forced into kindergarden who should not be there yet, they are not ready. There are many 5 year olds that have brain maturity and wiring more akin to a 3-4 year old, and who are not able to fit into adult school scheduling, they're not mature enough. This kind of brain development, by the way, in no way reflects their later performance in life. Unless of course a fearful episode crushes their core and inhibits their development, such as police arresting.

Kindergarden teachers also know what I just wrote and will discuss such things with parents. My brother had to be returned home and held back in grade 1. There was kindergarden. At 6 he was like a 4 year old, and wouldn't go in with the bell, after recess, he would say, "NO, I'm playing!" As if he was 4.

There is a vast difference in maturity and development in children of that age.

No argument. The child likely needs counceling and better parenting.

But in that moment when it was beyond the control of the school, the police were required.

link   

Originally posted by MattNC

Originally posted by artistpoet

The violent and destructive behavior had gone past naughty. That's clear to any intelligent person.

Any intelligent person would not have allowed it to get that far clearly

link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I would argue that the principal should have avoided being injured by the 6 year old...I mean really the principal got hurt somehow by a bookshelf that I can only assume this little girl may have pushed over....First off who stands or sits there while anyone pushed a bookshelf on them. Secondly....is this principal really incapable of overpowering a 6 year old because if that's the case then it's sad and I think the principal should look into other work....I would agree that restraining a child even with handcuffs is not inappropriate but I really don't see why parents could not have been brought in first. If nothing else calling the police was a huge waste of tax dollars. I don't know about the rest of ATS but my taxes don't go toward paying the police to detain a 6 year old. Any adult should be able to do that if they are in normal health.

Now aside from that, personally I've never seen a 6 year old have a tantrum that bad. Unless that child has serious mental disorders I blame the parents. Discipline isn't used as much as it was used when I was a kid and I'm only 25. I got spanked when I did something wrong or threw a tantrum for no apparent reason other then I was being a bratty little kid. Call the parents. Tell them to spank their kids when they do # wrong and for the most part you won't have # like this happening. I mean sure you could call the police and threaten the child with jail time but all that really proves is that you don't care enough about your child to try and take care of it yourself and that you'd rather have a stranger punish your child. I think that sends a bad message to the child. Discipline your own dam kids and leave the police out of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join