It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
What ever is the matter with our society, have people lost common sense completely
???
Did those teachers buy their degrees on eBay, is crime rate in the US so low that police officers need to waste their time with 6-years old children?
And you people on this thread in favor of how things went, do you have children at all, or can you possibly understand why children throw a tantrum? On an ironical note, have you been children at some point in your lives?
I do not think that educators these days have not been taught in training how to recognize and NOT escalate a situation where the child cannot express feelings of frustration verbally and throws a tantrum.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by samerulesapply
I don't think education is much better either...30+ kids to a class, it's all uniform and textbook...teachers think they can apply a sort of template method to all kids and it's stupid. Not all kids are the same, have strenghts and weaknesses, etc.

This is the way the government wants it. They want to strip people of their individuality by cramming 30+ kids into a classroom and indoctrinating every single one of them with the same information. Schools are just a factory to mass-produce obedient docile consumers.

Of course, the children haven't really realized this yet, but subconsciously they know that childhood isn't supposed to be that way, which brings me to my point... this is why so many kids are acting out in school these days. They're sick of being programmed like computers. When children misbehave, they are labeled as ADD or ADHD or Asperger's or some other contrived "disorder". When a parent is told that their child has one of those "disorders" you can translate that to: "Your child isn't as easy to program as the others because he/she prefers independent thought. Here are some pills to numb his/her mind to make him/her easier to program."

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Teacher & principal - and whoever handcuffed -have LOT Of explaining to do.

Can parents SUE their child's school or the cops for all the damages/trauma?

Flip side:

Or maybe the school should sue the parents of the out of control child for the damages the undisciplined devil child caused.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
You seem to be under the impression her being detained means she was slammed to the floor, pepper sprayed and thrown in a moldy cell to rot.

I said no such thing nor intimated.
Why do you put words in my mouth?

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Please, dont send your kids to school. We dont want them.

And what is your problem with my children and who gave you the authority to speak for any school?
I grew up when freedom was something still tangible, where privacy existed and the state didn't know the contents of your bank account and mind. You might be a tad younger than I and have never known a world that I did. Schools in my day would've handled that child just fine. No need for police. No need to scare the kid witless either.
I have 4 grown sons who came out just fine without the need for being arrested when they were having a temper tantrum.
Besides, don't the cops have something more important to do with their time then showing 6 year olds who's the boss?

edit on 17-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
reply to post by JayFlores

Is a child no longer allowed a 'CHILDHOOD' .

Children who misbehave now should be prepared to be taken 'downtown'.

Each day I read another story like this I am one step closer to getting off this planet.

The phrase 'heavan on earth' has always been a myth. We have created a hell on earth. Simple as that.

I have 4 good kids and I have to agree with you..... scary time to raise kids

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This is nothing new people. This goes on everyday in this country, these kids have problems and 9 times out 10 it's because of what happening at home.

Here is some good real life examples from a person I know in education.

kid throws chair breaks teachers collar bone, same kid next day breaks another kids nose with a chair. In both these events a teacher response team was called to retain this kid from hurting others, even though the kid already did. Also the school security was called, as well as the parents. Why did this happen? The kids parents were getting a divorce.

Kid-2 tripped a teacher going down the stairs, the teacher broke there wrist. same kid later that week throws a fit and punches the principle. I don't all the events to this one , but I know the police were called.

I could go on and on. The schools do have response teams to help detain out of control kids. The staff will do all they can to protect the other children including calling the school security for the district or even the local police. These matters become an issue of safety to protect the other children from being hurt. As I stated above one child did get hurt, not to mention to teachers with broken bones.

Yeah, some of think you can control these kids, but not when your blind sighted getting smacked in the head with a chair or tripped down the stairs.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

As far I as I know some have.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The child should not have been removed from the school grounds. Restrained? Yes, but taken to a cleared room in the school and monitored until the parents were reached and able to come to the school and deal with the situation.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by starseedflower

I understand your point, but in most of these cases, these tantrums come out of the blue. You do not see it coming. It's not like you can sit down and discuss it with these kids right them and there. ( there in a tantrum ) It's only after the event where the kids start getting help. Most of the parent will hide there are any problems at home,; and that's where much of it comes from.

Example : kid does great all though the school year, Then one day the kid finds out the parents are getting a divorce, or some other major family event is happening. Then comes the acting-out the next day in the classroom and hurting someone.

Most school safety policies include calling the police, only because in fear of getting sued by other parents if there kids get hurt by the problem child.

edit on 17-4-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I am sorry to sound so blunt.... BUT..... Kids nowadays are totally OUT OF CONTROL in The United States.... They have so much more power over their parents because EVERYTHING is abuse.

I see kids coming into my store and throwing stuff around and the parents are saying "don't do that honey" but not backing anything up. People have lost their RIGHT to discipline their children, and that's where the cops step in and do it for them.... Not right, but people need to grow some cajones and deal with their own kids. I have no problem telling the kids the "kiddie police" will come get them if they keep doing what they are doing and they need to listen to their parent/s.

My daughter was a BRAT, running away at 12 years old, and I had to use the "Tough Love" on her. Otherwise she would have ended up "DEAD".

She was detained by police several times in a 3 year period, slammed to the ground by them in some cases, but she LEARNED to respect authority, whether it was mine, the neighbor, or any random person we would meet. Their choices make their outcome, it is up to the PARENT to ensure that a CHILD make the right choices, and if they do not, make sure that they are DISCIPLINED by someone.

It really does take a village to raise a child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 17-4-2012 by freespirit1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
First of all, it's the parents obviously at fault for her behavior. If anyone should feel guilty about her being taken in via handcuffs, it's them. I was handcuffed when I was probably 8 or 9.. was taken and left in a holding cell.. it did not traumatize me for my entire life. I did not feel "abused." My foster and step parents abused me much more thoroughly than the police.

As far as the child goes, it's a fine lesson imo. You think it will scar her? Please. It might do the trick her parents apparently failed to do - teach her that acting out in such a manner has consequences. This might be a very good thing for HER down the road. Pity it takes that to teach her, but obviously her parents are unable.

Oh.. and the police probably did have better things to do. Do you think they wandered into the school to arrest a random 6yo acting out? No.. they were obviously called.
edit on 17-4-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
If they can't get hold of the parent, one of three things is done. One, the child is kept near the principals office or the nurses room. If they're in a state of high anxiety they may be sent to the hospital, and social services could in an extreme circumstances begin screening processes to determine risks and history.

What if the little darling would not cooperate and not go near the principal's office?
What if the little darling would not cooperate and go to the hospital voluntarily?
What is she doing when the social services are screening her in the classroom?

No you can't duct tape a kid. Teacher was sued and prosecuted for that
No, you can't restrain the kid. Teacher was sued and prosecuted for that.
Ambulance drivers will not forcibly restrain someone to get them into the ambulance.
What is the teacher's defense when the little darling hurts herself?
What is the teacher's defense when the little darling hurts someone else.

Whatever happened to a good old case of ass -whoopin'?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

You know, I heard this just the other day from an educator, but a little different. " The kids run the house at home, and have complete power over the parents. The kid's relate that power in the classroom by acting-out if they don't get there way.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

The family of a 6-year-old Georgia girl is upset at police and school officials after the girl was handcuffed and taken to a police station for allegedly throwing furniture, tearing items off the walls and knocking over a shelf, which injured the principal.

Police defended their actions

"Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

and claimed the girl was shaken up by being put in a holding cell.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

This is not the first time an incident like this has occurred.

This is child abuse, plain and simple. Handcuffing a 6 year old child.

Child Abuse. Wake up.

This is America in the year 2012. Americans should be ashamed of themselves for allowing behaviour like this from police.

Everyday its something new, a new low.

How pathetic is society to sit in silence and allow this behaviour by police to continue?

Let's look at this from the perspective of school officials and law enforcement authorities. In 2012, so much school violence has occurred that schools had to set well-defiined borders and responses. See it from their eyes for a moment: WHO WANTS TO BE THE TEACHER/PRINCIPAL THAT HAS TO RESTRAIN THIS OBVIOUSLY VIOLENT CHILD? A young child is capable of doing a great deal of physical injury and property damage (both of which this child did).

If a school teacher or official had taken physical action to restrain the child then they would **IMMEDIATELY** put themselves in danger of being sued by the parents for improper conduct, injury (whether real or opportunistic), and possibly become the subject of an investigation themselves. You see, the school administration really had no other option for this violent child. Six year-olds are more capable and stronger than you think, and to simplify the situation by saying, "It's just a six year-old!" is outrageous because of all of the mentioned results one would get if one actually physically restrained the child. Remember, this isn't the 1950s - 1980s where teachers and school officials had more authority and weren't sued left-and-right by overzealous, over-protective and opportunistic parents.

As far as law **enforcement** is concerned: they didn't write the laws; they just enforce them. If the standard operating procedures (SOP) says that all people being mandatorily taken to the station must be handcuffed (if nothing more than for their own safety), then if the police DO NOT FOLLOW REGULATIONS, then guess what: criminals get off on technicalities --or, more likely in this case-- the department gets SUED by the parents if the child hurt herself in the back of the squad car.

You see, when anyone, especially a child steps into the pitfall of VIOLENT, ABBERANT BEHAVIOR, this leaves very little personal consideration and judgment on the part of school and law enforcement. This is a post-Columbine (et al) era. Younger and younger children are bringing guns and drugs to school and killing teachers, officials and other students. Nothing can be taken for granted and STRICT PROCEDURE must be followed (yes), even for six year-olds.

We live in a litigious society; people like to sue for millions based on one tiny incident. It's a meal ticket and the only recourse for some people. One wrong move on the part of any organization (public school system or law enforcement), and they are sued. Then, guess what? Who really suffers when a community's school system and law enforcement have to pay millions of $$$ over such an incident? YOU'RE CHILDREN. And the community at large because their police department had to shell-out millions. Insurance for such entities rises alarmingly... which means taxes go up... alarmingly and/or services are cut down: teachers laid off, educational supplies are no more, arts are cut from the budget, etc. Squad cars go unserviced longer than they should be, salaries are reduced and/or people are laid off.

The incident seems cut and dry, but the ramifications of the intricacies of the situation are quite profound. The parents need to talk to this child and discipline better. Or see a doctor and medicate. What it boils down to is that one child can harm a community if strict guidelines/procedures are not followed TO THE LETTER.
edit on 17-4-2012 by GhostLancer because: Typo

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Wait a minute, 2 adults could not calm a 6 year old child? They couldn't take her out of the room? Handcuffing is a valuable lesson to learn from when to throw a violent tantrum. But put her in a holding cell? Wayy too much.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
A 6 year old flips out in school? Good for her I think that is wonderful! It shows that our system is broken.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
When I was in primary school it was a very, very rare thing for a child to lose control like this and almost every time it did happen it was because they were not being listened to (regardless of whether they were right or wrong) and acted out.

Every time a child acted out like this they would be physically restrained and sometimes smacked (where nessecary) and the problem would stop.

People shout out so loud to not hit kids but in my own experience being shown, physically, that they are not the strongest person in the room ALWAYS stops kids from trying to bully and intimidate.

Kids are smart enough to know not to pick a fight with an adult, because they will lose.

Physical violence has it's place in our society like it or not.

The REAL issue is of a generation of kids growing up with the belief that there is no comeuppance for their actions, they all seem to think that they can get their own way by hurting people because no one will stop them.

being smacked down when your acting up is an important, if harsh, lesson that all people need to learn

As my Father used to say "there's always someone who's bigger, tougher, smarter or faster so don't get too confident"

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Most Southern schools have a spanking policy set in place. If the parent chooses the child will not be spanked by the school. Before the start of school every year the kids and parents are told about the policy. The parents are notified before the punishment is administered and the parent has the choice to be there or not when it is done.

Apparently this child's parents either exempted her from this or the child figures she gets by with this b.s. at home and should get by with it everywhere.

From the Mothers comment I would assume the woman is clueless as to what is appropriate behavior in public let alone just plain decent behavior.

We all have bad days no matter how old you are. Being taught young how to handle our emotions in a nondestructive way that will not hurt others or ourselves should be taught young. Apparently her parents have failed at this or are just to lazy or selfabsorbed to care.

High five to the school and the cops for taking this kid down a notch. I know I sure wouldn't want that monster in class with my little one. What if one day she has a really bad day and beats some kids head in with a chair because she just felt like it?

If her parents don't like the way the school handled it then let them home school their little princess. That way Mom and Dad can be there for her when she has one of her bad days and mood swings.

You have to wonder what their house looks like at home if Mom thinks this is okay behavior.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Wait a minute, 2 adults could not calm a 6 year old child? They couldn't take her out of the room? Handcuffing is a valuable lesson to learn from when to throw a violent tantrum. But put her in a holding cell? Wayy too much.

How do you suggest they calm a child who is throwing furniture, and even injured the principle? I mean.. within the confines of the incredibly restrictive system parents have created for them. They what.. grab the child and hold them? Restrain them? Yea.. that's not a lawsuit waiting to happen. You what.. ask her very politely to please stop behaving like a beast?

Parent should have been in a holding tank overnight.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
A six-year-old should never be described as a "detainee."

And notice the language the police used: "Age descrimination."

The police (like so many others) are so afraid of getting accuesed of "discrimination" of one sort or another that this sort of linguistic parsing takes precedence over any semblance of reality, comon-sense, or even sanity

Political correctness has gone through the looking glass and devoured its own tail.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join