It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary disease is turning cats into 'living robots' (with Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The story says they become stiff and robotic-like in their movements, which reminds me of zombies. I've always thought the zombie apocalypse implausible, but this is what it reminds me of.

Zombie Kitties

There is a video at the second link below (Daily Mail)

Cats in the U.K. have come down with a strange ailment that turns them into "living robots." Twenty-one reported cases of "staggering disease" have been reported in rural Scotland, with the victims' movements becoming progressively more robotic and stiff. Bizarrely, one of the earliest symptoms is seen when the cats become "over-affectionate."

There is no cure for the disease, which has also cropped up in Sweden and Austria, and most of the cats with the illness survived just 11 months after symptoms first appeared. Vets are so far stumped by the disorder, but believe that something in the cats' environment might be overstimulating their immune system.

now.msn.com...

The condition also affects personality, with most of the sick animals becoming more affectionate. Some, however, become aggressive.

Their legs become rigid, giving them an odd, stiff gait, their personality changes and their tail stiffens and sticks out. There is no known treatment or cure. The symptoms become progressively worse and the animals are put down when their suffering becomes too much. Scroll down for video Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

The condition has baffled vets, as tests for numerous viruses have come back negative. Their best guess is that the pets caught the disease while out hunting.

Mutated virus a possibility:

As it doesn't seem to spread between cats and all the sick animals are avid hunters, experts believe the most likely source to be a mutant virus carried by mice or voles.

Professor Gunn-Moore said: 'We have looked in the blood, in the brain fluid and in brain sections. 'We have looked for the presence of viruses in the brain and so far we've been able to rule out vast numbers but can't find the one that's causing it.

' Vets have tried treatments including painkillers, vitamins, antibiotics and drugs normally given to multiple sclerosis sufferers, but none has held the disease at bay. The animals, which are usually elderly, gradually become more disabled and when they start to find it hard to swallow, they are usually put down – normally within a year of falling ill.

(Video at this link)
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I hope, that if it is a mutated virus, it doesn't continue to mutate to effect other species (especially humans).

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The Daily Fail does it again with another misleading title. A medical conditon causing stiff joints is not "turning cats into living robots"

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
wow

Maybe its the gvt again testing the next big thing!

Seriously, whatever it is, I hope it doesnt cross over and I hope they get to the bottom of this fast!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This is really bizarre. I hope they can isolate the cause (virus) soon and agree with the OP in hopes that it is not something which can eventually affect other species, especially humans.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

If I could I'd swap the one gene that dogs have that cats don't!

The "come here" gene.

I call my cat and only if she feels like it she will.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes, cats are very independent. Although I saw a couple train their cat to "sit" on the TV show "My Cat from Hell". I thought that was pretty impressive.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
The Daily Fail does it again with another misleading title. A medical conditon causing stiff joints is not "turning cats into living robots"

Grumpy today are we?

The thread is about a new feline disease emerging, NOT about what they named their article.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

man I hate cats! I can't breathe when they're around...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I would'nt have one as a pet, but I'm glad they get the mice!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

There really was no need to sensationalize the story with such a ridiculous title, no offense.

I certainly dont see any conspiracy angle to the article.
edit on 17-4-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have heard of a swelling of the brain causing the funny walk. This may be another virus. It is not always fatal.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I would'nt have one as a pet, but I'm glad they get the mice!

Unfortunately they are also a major killer of all small wildlife. In my tiny rural area of UK it's cat city. Two of the neighbours have 5 and complain when they find mangled corpses underneath the sofa. They hang bird food on the tree saying 'We like to think we are giving something back'. Birds come and are then killed by the cats! If I find one stalking in my garden it will get a boot up its furry behind. Loathsome creatures. We need a cull.
edit on 17-4-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Robot cats today, Zombie cats tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

true but my Jack Russell is the ultimate rodent eradicating machine... with a fierce persistence.

I've seen cats just lay there unconcerned such as a zombie already before the disease!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
while i dislike cats and very much dislike zombies i find the idea of zombie cats extra uncomfortable and a little more distressing than usual news.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I love cats,this is very sad.I sure hope it cannot spread to other species and humans eventually.Bad enough that the poor cats have to suffer this.

join