It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Duty; a "sinful" civic requirement?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I understand what you mean... I was saying there are only cameras allowed in closed cases where the death penalty is factored as a sentence.

I don't believe a jury has ever been used to determine capital punishment...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I don't believe a jury has ever been used to determine capital punishment...

Still confused...forgive me. Tired and not topped off with coffee yet.
Are you talking about the jury deciding WHETHER to sentence the convicted with death? I know it's the judge's job to determine the SENTENCE....
and the Prosecutor's job to recommend one....

but there have been trials broadcast that included the possiblity of the death penalty (again see Casey Anthony). The interested viewers were reminded daily that, if found guilty by the jury, the death penalty was an option for the judge.

Anyway, Sis, thanks for participating...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I was thinking that is a person stands trial for murder or faces the death penalty then a jury is not used...

a bit confusing yes but take O.J. for instance... he was on trial for murder and if I recall there was no jury... same with all the mass murderers ect.

of course I could be wrong because each state varies...

it sounds a bit harsh (as I am
) but I support capital punishment, I just don't support death row...

Russians just take you out back after trial and that's that!

if one commits a crime in USA that is punishable by death it would seem the inmates take care of business before the guilty even gets to the row, something like 8 out of 10 times.

if I was ever chosen to decide with a jury the innocence or guilt in a murder trial I wouldn't participate...

---------------

come to think of it... when it comes to murder and specially if one is caught red-handed I don't even support due process, I opt for the lynch mob or vigilante justice.

alot of people have been wrongly convicted but the numbers are greater for those who've actually committed such a crime.

Jury duty for violent acts is questionable to me and reforming the individual from such an act has a greater chance of failing... something like 8 out of 10 violent offenders who've been to prison return something like up to 3 times.

edit on 18-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by SeekerLou

THANK YOU SO MUCH for answering the question, SeekerLou. I'm rather surprised it seems to be of no interest to those several here whose very lives revolve around "judgment" and "sin." Perhaps I should have put it in the Philosophy forum....but my specific question was about faith-based refusal to be a juror....

and thanks for appreciating my contributions, too...

You are vERY welcome .. And sorry I failed to comment as to your real question. Honestly, had never given that a thought but hmmm thanks for the suggestion

I understand your ''interest''... Only once have I served on the Fed Grand Jury..... I DID NOT like being on jury duty and was the last one to cast vote. We could get into a lonnnng discussion re jury peers ..oh boy , could I! Honestly, if I were on trial, I'd be scared ... I saw some really *smart* jurors... uhhmmm... Seriously, it seemed lots were uneducated or didn't have a brain. And I do believe that is how they prefer it to be....... Not saying ALWAYS but just the majority of the time.
Not sure if I could use my ''faith" to get out of duty ... but next time, I just may try it! This definitely did NOT vibe with my spirit at alllll!
Yeah, it was a neat interesting, learning experience.....but I'd like to pass next time too! And thanks for the tip!

edit on 18-4-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I understand your ''interest''... Only once have I served on the Fed Grand Jury..... I DID NOT like being on jury duty and was the last one to cast vote. We could get into a lonnnng discussion re jury peers ..oh boy , could I! Honestly, if I were on trial, I'd be scared ... I saw some really *smart* jurors... uhhmmm... Seriously, it seemed lots were uneducated or didn't have a brain. And I do believe that is how they prefer it to be....... Not saying ALWAYS but just the majority of the time.

I think you're right.
The attorneys (one a prosecutor, the other for defense) want people they can persuade to their side....NOT people who will think for themselves, perhaps point out to the other jurors things in the gray area....
which I believe is why I didn't get picked. During questioning they discovered my education - advanced degree and worked as a counselor for clients from Mental Health Court (double strike -- I know my way around a courtroom and the justice system, and have worked to stand up for justice and the rights of the disenfranchised), that I know how to handle guns (not good for the prosecution either, apparently), that I have been falsely accused and investigated for child injury, not convicted, just questioned as a person of interest (not good for the prosecution as I remember well how awful it felt).

I don't really know who it was that Xed me from the list...but oh well. It's just as well.

Oh, and the Federal Grand Jury?? I was wondering how they choose jurors for that....is it the same thing..a summons in the mail and one week of duty? I always thought they were maybe "professional" jurors.
edit on 19-4-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Oh, and the Federal Grand Jury?? I was wondering how they choose jurors for that....is it the same thing..a summons in the mail and one week of duty? I always thought they were maybe "professional" jurors.

Yep! Summons in the mail and on jury duty certain days of the mo for months....not professional jurors
Hey, I DOUBT they will call me again though lol. Last time, I sent them a hemorrhoidal excuse ... but little did they know , they were the major cause of the pain in the butt
Seriously, I had other reasons, an additional excuse but that is about how I felt! All I know, is they do NOT want me.....I'll nullify in a minute if I disagree with a charge/law! And this thanks to ATS. I had no knowledge of this when serving on the jury. But thanks ATS! I now know about this and this, folks, is very important to learn. I'm 50+ and still learning.. and finally growing a brain here lol. We need to educate everyone to this ''fact'' of being able to nullify.

I agree with you, they probably won't pick you..You KNOW and think for yourself.....I've been around the system long enough now that they know me..and they know I use my brain now... Like you, I do not think they will choose me again....for what I know..
edit on 19-4-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I'm 50+ and still learning.. and finally growing a brain here lol. We need to educate everyone to this ''fact'' of being able to nullify.

Yup, me too.....
In my opinionated opinion
it is unfair....perhaps the accused should be able to pick the jury. I don't know. I just know that at some weird level, I've learned that it's rigged.

Shameful.
But hey, thanks for your participation in the thread.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I didn't read the post but I will assume it is about how to get out of jury duty. To that, I will add, all you have to do is tell them you are a nihilist. It works a like a charm. A joke, of course.

After reading what seems an autobiography, I found no where the premise that "Jury Duty:[is] a "sinful" civic requirement?" And, so, I will simply amuse myself.

"My question to ATS is this: would you sit on a jury for a 1st degree murder case? Or would you ask to be excused "

For, or, to win, a first degree murder case, I would certainly sit on a jury, but, if the jury consisted of old ladies, I might be indicted for a second case of first degree murder - having sat on and killed one or more of them.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by capob

After reading what seems an autobiography, I found no where the premise that "Jury Duty:[is] a "sinful" civic requirement?" And, so, I will simply amuse myself.

"My question to ATS is this: would you sit on a jury for a 1st degree murder case? Or would you ask to be excused "

For, or, to win, a first degree murder case, I would certainly sit on a jury, but, if the jury consisted of old ladies, I might be indicted for a second case of first degree murder - having sat on and killed one or more of them.

Excuse me, but...what?
old ladies?
Autobiography?

I didn't read the post but I will assume it is about how to get out of jury duty.

Try reading the post.
It has nothing to do with 'getting out of jury duty'...

Are you threatening me???
wow
edit on 19-4-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

LOL....

All i could do was shake my head in disbelief at that comment when I read it....

Poor wildtimes, lol

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

LOL....

All i could do was shake my head in disbelief at that comment when I read it....

Poor wildtimes, lol
What comment is that, Iason?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

The ridiculous bit of word salad that guy tossed at you,

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

The ridiculous bit of word salad that guy tossed at you,

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

To make it easier to understand: Your title is bait and has no backing in your article. And, having read your article without finding a premise for the title, I chose to make fun of the article by misinterpreting your question.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Just wanted to say in op's defense.... I had no problem understanding the question.
The thread title was interrogatory..
I got her gist..... that she's questioning if we consider or feel that it is morally/spiritually right to do this judging (acting as juror)...according to the God/Bible/sin etc....
I can't see how you guys missed that....
... or have I missed something?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

No, you didn't miss anything. Not sure why he's trolling me. .... but it doesn't bother me. Thanks for the backup, Seeker. Guess this kind of question make some people squirm so much they blow a fuse. *shrugs*

Although I am surprised more of the regulars haven't pitched in with their thoughts!!
I realize most people want to get out of jury duty. But there are those of us who don't, at least we think we don't, until it comes down to it, and then we find our minds have changed when the door finally opens.

Situation will dictate, I guess. But frankly, I doubt I would make a good juror anyway....I have a habit of thinking outside the box (

top topics

<< 1   >>

join