It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the appeal of nightclubs, loud music, darkness, bright lights?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I hope this question doesn't make me sound like a nerd, but I've never understood something. What is the appeal of nightclubs? I'm talking about places with darkness, disco lights and loud deafening music. What is so fun about that kind of environment? What's the appeal? How is it relaxing or pleasurable? I don't get it. Can someone explain?

First, the loud deafening noise in such places makes it hard to hear other people talking, so how can you have a conversation? It's funny how movies portray nightclubs and discos as places where people can talk and hear each other. lol

Second, the environment is dark with artificial disco lights spinning around. How is that fun, relaxing or pleasurable? It seems like an annoying experience with overstimulation - and very intrusive to one's "inner world". Plus the dark environment makes it hard to see people clearly. And the bright lights and loud music make it hard to think clearly, which subdues your awareness and consciousness.

How is this supposed to be a positive, fun, or relaxing experience? I don't understand the logic in it.

Also, how is drinking alcohol pleasurable? It just makes me feel dizzy, buzzed and lightheaded. I don't get how that is pleasurable enough to be addicting. Can someone explain this logically?

Apparently, I don't follow the "logic" of this world and am alien to it. Why?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
the primal human instinct to dance,be dominant and to mate is the only reason! it sounds like you have to go to a club and do one or all of the above!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It's only fun until the morning after.

I've always thought it was for young single people looking for nothing more than "fun".

If you told a guy before he went clubbing, there was no way he'd be meeting or being with a girl at any point during the evening, he will strongly rethink about going.

Very few people will go for the music or the atmosphere. I know one person, and he is just mad.

If all you wanted to do was to have fun with friends, a cool bar with pool, good music and cheap alcohol is where you'd go. No doubt about it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Hahahah Normally I hate the places, but I will tell you one thing. If you are on MDMA or your stoned those places are prettty trippy and fun.

Mods dont delete I was just helping to answer this person

edit on 17-4-2012 by FenderWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

For me it was a living -- I sang in bands for 20 years so I had no choice but to be there...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Lol i know it sounds stupid but its a new experience, the loud music, disco lights and darkness mixed with alcohol(not wasted drunk but "feel good" drunk), it makes you feel happy, especially if ur among friends. It's an experience everyone should have while they are young(you will feel you don't belong as you get older, and im only 25 haha).

It also fun because, first, i can;t dance for #, but that environment make you feel like "screw it, i don't care who watches me, ill dance" the funny thing is, no one is there to comment on your dancing, everyone is there to have fun.

*btw i don't suggest you do this everyday(1-2 a month during my 21-23 age range lol), it can be expensive and might be bad if u go to school and work*

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I wonder the same as you. I noticed one poster mentioned going there to experience it. I have been on this rock this time for 73 years and tried experiencing all these things, night clubs, loud music, drinking and so forth. Like you, I cannot understand why humans do what they do.

Last evening I was remembering how I faked it over the years, that is drinking and such, others thought I was drunk at times, but I would not drink more than one or two and truly was there to observe the idiocy of others, however, I did enjoy the primal jumping around as my body in those days was rather athletic, with me running several miles each day.

Carrying this one step further, I also wonder why sex is so important to humans, I resented the drive that came with this body when I was young, it was a hindrance to my experiencing life, it took too much of my time away from personal growth and creative endeavors, that is the drive of it, not the functioning. I set this aside at one point for over 12 years as it was just too intrusive and complicated. Humans are odd and driven from within, when they should remain aloof from the primal part and just be ascended somewhat. Oh well, back to observing.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I've worked in nightclubs since the early '80s, and they exist for one reason: Mating.

Long ago this was done around a campfire, and when a male was interested in a woman he would share his leg of Wooly Mammoth with her. As she was eating it, he would knock her over the head and drag her back to his cave. Nowadays, men use Sex on the Beach and bathroom Polo to do the same thing. It's nice to see we've evolved.

How about them Miami Vice duds?

BASS 4EVA!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
If someone has to explain the appeal of something to you, then you will never truly understand what makes that something so special to some people. It's like trying to describe a sunset to bland man.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Shaggers corner.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
It seems like an annoying experience with overstimulation - and very intrusive to one's "inner world".

That line illustrates exactly why you do not like those settings.

I would suggest you are an introvert. It disturbs your "inner" world. But really, the purpose of these clubs and settings are to experience the "outer" world and interact with it and others.

Nightclubs are for extroverts.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I am right there with you... When I go to a night club or more accurately, get dragged into one I am so incredibly bored. People tell me it is a great way to meet someone? Really? You can't even talk to someone without yelling at the tops of your lungs. Even when i was single this never made any sense to me. I think with some people, they just see talking as getting in the way and unnecessary before intercourse. I think to some the loud music is actually appealing because then they can just dance, rub up on each other and get horny, drunk and laid. Not judgeing anyone here, it is just not my thing.

The drinks are 3, 4, 10 times as expensive as they should be. Cover charge? WTF? so you are telling me I have to pay you 10 dollars to go into your annoyingly loud, completely dark, over priced establishment so I can stand around all night fighting my way to the bar to get a drink, waiting in long lines to go to the bathroom and not be able to hold any type of conversation because nobody can even hear me? No thanks, I will pass.

Also, how is drinking alcohol pleasurable? It just makes me feel dizzy, buzzed and lightheaded. I don't get how that is pleasurable enough to be addicting. Can someone explain this logically?

This on the other hand I can't completely get behind. Drinking, to me, is relaxing. It may be possible that you are drinking things that are too strong for you level of tolerance. I only would get dizzy or lightheaded when I would have a bit too much. The key to enjoying alcohol is moderation. Tolerance builds overtime and that is how people become addicted to something, when they need more to get the same effects. It works the same way with any drug.

A beer or a glass of wine shouldn't do that to you. If you don't have a tolerance though (your body not being use to it) drinking a few more than one could do that to someone. I would suggest if you would actually like to see what it is like to enjoy alcohol, then you pace yourself and not try to keep up with others. Maybe just one drink in an hour, so your body can cope, this should just make you feel relaxed without any of the side effects you mentioned. Avoid shots or anything other than beer or wine.

Alcoholics have a tolerance to the effects. They drink everyday and their body finds ways to cope, feeling dizzy, light-headed or buzzed doesn't happen to them until they drink far more then enough to send someone without a tolerance to the bathroom to throw-up, feeling like they are going to die.

When they drink, they don't get the negative side effects. They just get the happy relaxed feeling.. well the happy drunks do at least, the violent drunks... that is another story.
edit on 17-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It's a great place to let off a little steam, and hopefully find a beautiful person to wake up with the next morning... Unless you a shag-and-scram type. That was me, 19 years ago, before I met my precious wife. Actually, I met her at church.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I like the music loud because I like to feel the base. It's dark because the expensive light system looks lame with the lights on. I love the clubs where they are spinning or playing live music it's organic and every night is different. It's music being created just for you that exists just in the one moment in time and then is gone forever.

For some of the electronic music events it's a tribal thing. Complete strangers coming together to dance to the music to commune with the universe and celebrate just being alive. It's not like you need to speak to someone to share in the experience. Sometimes a smile from a across the room and then the nod that says "Even though I don't know you, I am glad we are here in this space and time sharing this moment together." The power of music uniting strangers. Music is the language of the soul that everyone speaks.

Don't worry OP there was a time i didn't get it either. It's not every ones cup off tea and there is nothing wrong with that. I hope you find your thing and that it makes you as happy as clubbing makes me.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Well, I never was a Disco personage, in fact, I was really happy when Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers came along and killed Disco dead. I do however like Nightclubs, and used to spend a great deal of time in them. I was lead singer in a Rock band for 5 years, and the Nightclub setting, people talking, dim lighting, music pounding, people grinding together on the dance floor...it is all very primal.
I kinda miss that today.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Drunk girls in tight skirts dancing...

I thought that was obvious...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I hate nightclubs !!

I call those place the degradation of the human society
dancing all night with loud music .. people touching other people
cruising allnight long to have a one night with a girl who also wants a one night

there is other ways to have fun

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
I hate nightclubs !!

I call those place the degradation of the human society
dancing all night with loud music .. people touching other people
cruising allnight long to have a one night with a girl who also wants a one night

there is other ways to have fun

Not when DJ BOBBY BREEZE is in tha house!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BourneConspiracy
It's only fun until the morning after.

I've always thought it was for young single people looking for nothing more than "fun".

If you told a guy before he went clubbing, there was no way he'd be meeting or being with a girl at any point during the evening, he will strongly rethink about going.

Very few people will go for the music or the atmosphere. I know one person, and he is just mad.

If all you wanted to do was to have fun with friends, a cool bar with pool, good music and cheap alcohol is where you'd go. No doubt about it.

That's a total myth and cliche. You don't meet quality people there. Plus, most people don't hook up there. The girls who go to those places (in the US and Canada) are NOT there to meet guys, but to have fun with their girlfriends and show off. They hang in cliques and laugh at every guy who approaches them. So what does mating have to do with this?

How can you mate or get to know a girl if the music is too loud? That doesn't make sense.

Most people there hang in cliques and are not open. Only a small number of people really hook up there.

Plus, if you go there all the time, and never score (like me), then wouldn't the disappointment discourage you from going again?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Originally posted by WWu777
It seems like an annoying experience with overstimulation - and very intrusive to one's "inner world".

That line illustrates exactly why you do not like those settings.

I would suggest you are an introvert. It disturbs your "inner" world. But really, the purpose of these clubs and settings are to experience the "outer" world and interact with it and others.

Nightclubs are for extroverts.

The disadvantages of being an extrovert is that they seem so soulless and empty inside (compared to an introvert), since they are totally focused on the outer world and have no inner world. Therefore, once their outer world falls apart or things go south on them, they will completely collapse because they have no inner world to fall back on. Examples of this are Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe.

Anyone notice that? That's the primary disadvantage of being an extrovert.

Another disadvantage is that they get bored easily if they don't have company or some party or social activity to go to. They simply have nothing to do without other people around, and can't entertain themselves. Man what a hollow existence.

Also, it's hard to have a deep conversation with an extrovert because they have nothing to say in these matters, because they only see surface practicalities and mundane things and are not focused on looking deeper.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join