It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Standard of Living Has Fallen More Than 50%

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cyb3rR3v0luti0nary

Poverty is, and has always been, measured by income.

If you want to pull out other statistics, do.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by captainnotsoobvious

Poverty is the state of one who lacks a certain amount of material possessions or money.
Link

Screw your absolute.

By the definition, income is but one bit in the equation.

I don't care if people are being conned into thinking it's the only factor.

It's not.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's a faulty way of looking at it IMO. Making a certain wage might sound great, until you factor in the cost of food and shelter, then it looks pretty bad.

I don't know about the rest of the world, I do not have the kind of money it takes to travel like that. I only know about where I live, in Virginia. The middle class is all but gone, you are either upper class, or lower class. Minimum wage is laughable, you are lucky to break even on that kind of pay. I am lucky my work is on the internet, people that don't have them kind of marketable skills are not in a good place.

Everything is ass backwards. People that do important work, like building and maintaining infrastructure are paid meagerly, while fools that sit behind a desk and crunch numbers, push papers, and other useless jobs in the grand scheme of things are highly paid. We can live without paper pushers, we cannot live without people maintaining our roads, maintaining our buildings, building new structures, delivering goods etc. Why does pay not reflect that?
edit on 17-4-2012 by cyb3rR3v0luti0nary because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I give you a star because you coined Republican St. Ronnie

I like that one.

I think Capitalism is ok, but corporate cronyism and lack of true property rights (where you can easily sue if your property is polluted, for instance) is ruining it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by captainnotsoobvious
reply to post by JanAmosComenius

An exciting way to find out would be to check the data.

Try that.

Ok, may be I do not understand it right. Here is wikipedia/WB/UN? definition (cited from Wikipedia):

[...]A dollar a day, in nations that do not use the U.S. dollar as currency, does not translate to living a day on the amount of local currency as determined by the exchange rate. Rather, it is determined by the purchasing power parity, which would look at how much local currency is needed to buy the same things that a dollar could buy in the United States.[...]

If dollar is losing its purchasing power in United States (inflation), than this virtual poverty dollar is also losing its value. As I read it this poverty dollar is cleaned of domestic currency inflation and exchange rate fluctuations. not of inflation of US$ itself.
But may be I'm terribly wrong.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

The link you posted also used income to measure poverty. It's not MY idea; it's just reality.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You need to just get your head around what the value actually means. It's adjusted for pretty much everything and is the standard used by everyone from the world bank to aid agencies to governments to NGOs.

Poverty is pretty much declining almost everywhere and has been for decades.

If that sounds wrong to you, prove it wrong by finding evidence that proves your feeling.

I'm not ideologically tied to the idea of decreasing global poverty. But. I don't like people posting inaccurate info, based on nothing more than 'feelings'. It's not condusive to intellient conversation.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It's a reality that this is the way organizations measure poverty, but it's not a reality that this is a true indication of the level of poverty.

If your income has doubled, yet taxes have tripped, what is the net effect

All I'm saying is that I don't care if someone says this is how it's always been done, I'm after the truth of what something really means, and why.

...here's another way of looking at it:

world bank comes in with stated goal of reducing poverty...

so it loans countries money. they make public services widespread...

then go into debt...must pay debt....

taxes are raised...incomes rise...

but what is the net effect

the organization preys on our inability to see the long term repercussions, and put the pieces together.

edit on 17-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainnotsoobvious

You need to just get your head around what the value actually means. It's adjusted for pretty much everything and is the standard used by everyone from the world bank to aid agencies to governments to NGOs.

Poverty is pretty much declining almost everywhere and has been for decades.

If that sounds wrong to you, prove it wrong by finding evidence that proves your feeling.

I'm not ideologically tied to the idea of decreasing global poverty. But. I don't like people posting inaccurate info, based on nothing more than 'feelings'. It's not condusive to intellient conversation.

I want to prevent exactly the same. Usually when I study some governmental, WHO, WTO, large NGO statistics, I find some flow in methodology. As I said earlier official numbers on US unemployment do not reflect situation on labour market or sociological meaning of unemployment. Such surveys are often constructed so to satisfy proposed goals of some institution. World bank have "fight against poverty" almost as its motto. Will World bank provide data which will prove its uselessness?

Definition of "poverty dollar" I cited earlier suggest that there is flow in basic methodology. May be definition from Wikipedia is wrong. Do you know other definition? I'll be happy to study it.

I think it is pretty clear that argument "... the standard used by everyone from the world bank to aid agencies to governments to NGOs ..." is not .... hmmm ... strong. In my eyes is WB, many governments and many NGOs are scam - if not directly criminal - syndicates.

You can see ... and it is trouble of almost all discussions ... that there is problem with definition of words used in discussion. We can settle on UN and WB definition of poverty, but till now we do not have any clear definition of this mysterious "poverty dollar".

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Can you see a correlation between the decline and a certain date on the chart below? Anyone?

I'll give you a hint: Richard Nixon.

I'll give you another hint: Gold Standard.

Coincidence? I think not.
edit on 17-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leftist

U.S. Standard of Living Has Fallen More Than 50%

www.thestreet.com

Using the year 2000 as the numerical base from which to "zero" all of the numbers, real wages peaked in 1970 at around $20/hour. Today the average worker makes $8.50/hour -- more than 57% less than in 1970. And since the average wage directly determines the standard of living of our society, we can see that the average standard of living in the U.S. has plummeted by over 57% over a span of 40 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Not for the politicians. It's gotten luxurious for them. Heck, Pelosi raked in millions in 2010 to give her a nice lavish life.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Simple logic

A "....average wage directly determines the standard of living ..."

B average wages have fallen

C therefore standard of living has fallen

Sorry but A is false or at least not a universal/blanket statement.

My annual income fell from 130k+ to 40k- in 8 years (think H1-b visa fiasco)

So I gave up my annual first class European vacation and now vacation domestically

IMO my standard of living remains the same

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
"Lurching Corpse" of an economy. Sadly, I couldn't have said it any better myself. The only way I can contribute is by fortifying just how much we're boned by using more math.

Below is Albert Bartlett explaining in cold hard math (the exponential function) showing undeniably, just how screwed we all really are, and it truly is one of the most important videos I have ever seen.. It's an eight part lecture, and has over FOUR MILLION VIEWS. There is a reason this old codger's babbling on about math has that kind of attention.

Our wanton destruction and disposable treatment of this planet is going to kill us, and he proves it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

No. Taxes aren't theft any more than you driving on a road you didn't pay for is theft.

ummm. they did pay for it. gas tax? People say taxes are theft when the taxes are forced. I imagine they meant income tax as most people do when they speak of taxes. Other taxes such as the gas tax which is justified because it pays for the roads are voluntary taxes made through purchase. You don't have to pay the tax unless you want to use gas. If you buy gas, it is safely assumed you are using the roads, therefore you pay for the roads with the tax.

I don't have a problem with gas tax because it is voluntary. Income tax is involuntary, involuntary taking of money = theft. Can you not see that taking ones money against their will is theft? Since the government does it, somehow that takes the immorality out of it? How?

If income tax is not theft, what do you call taking money against ones will?

What is even worse still, that money is spent on things most people disagree with.

I will leave you with a quote.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -Thomas Jefferson

edit on 17-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

Gee, that means the years of lobbying for loosening regulations and tax breaks for the wealthy and manipulating the patriotism of less complex thinkers has actually worked???

Welcome to the 1890's and good luck on finding space in the workhouse.

If anyone has the gumption to march and end this, I'll go too. Tho I'd feel better if there were more than 3.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The standard of living went down 50% because the value of the dollar went down 50%. The only relevant figure for determining the standard of living is the public debt. The more debt, the lower standard of living.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leftist

Originally posted by Unity_99
I see this as Problem/Reaction/Solution to promote their NWO Fascist Brutal State.

Mmmmmmaaaybe.

Depends who you mean by "their" and "NWO."

Basically I don't see any nefarious group of cigar-chomping fat―cats sitting around a boardroom table talking all this stuff out.

want to bet on that?

Fed reserve board members, they run the world, whether you choose to believe it or not, won't make it any less real.

1) The Rothschild Family – London
2) The Rothschild Family – Berlin
3) The Lazard Brothers – Paris
4) Israel Seiff – Italy
5) Kuhn-Loeb Company – Germany
6) The Warburgs – Amsterdam
7) The Warburgs – Hamburg
8) Lehman Brothers – New York
9) Goldman & Sachs – New York
10) The Rockefeller Family – New York

i would be willing to also bet the standard of living for these company's and family's has risen steadily for decades, without incident.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Sure another country may be seemingly prosperous for a while however that is not going to last. Illusion of an economy that is helping the country. As it did with the US. It's only temporary in the bigger scheme of things. Since they are hell bent on the 'Guide stones' type life for the planet they believe to own...the goal is wealth redistribution to stop overpopulation per se with not even mentioning the few become more wealthy.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

I'll believe the standard of living has dropped 50% in America when the newest iPad doesn't sell out in one day at $600 or more a piece.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

the facts are starting to surface and the "illusion" is breaking for more and more people,
remeber this,

if the people ever knew how the financial system really works, they would be on the streets with pictch forks before morning

henery ford

i would like to point out that when the bankers and criminal enablers are exposed,
it is NOT mob justice they must be served,
they must be tried in a court and BOUGHT TO JUSTICE.

there must be no vigial anti justice,
we must be and practice they type of justice we see.

put your pitch forks away, as the great laws must be followed.

we must no turn into blood thirsty mobs lest we become what we seek to remove.

the time is coming where ALL will know what has been done by the criminal class.
we must set an example for the future generations that,
THERE IS 1 LAW FOR ALL
NO PERSON MUST KILL AS THIS IS NOT JUSTICE
WE MUST NOT BECOME VIOLENT IN SEEKING VENGENCE,

we must be civilised and lawful in our actions
the bankers are being exposed as we speek
do not take hate into your heart or violence upon your hands

thanks for the info and
peace and light

xploder

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>