It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG Earthquakes happen LIKE EVERY DAY! OMG!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by nitro67

They are not trying to be sensational. They are the parasites of this site, wanting to lap up every ill begotten star and flag for a non event they can. There is an EQ thread. If a big one happens, in a place of consequence, by all means post it. These BS threads that clog up ATS are ridiculous and self serving.

Hello pot..

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

you complain that people posting EQ threads for minor EQ are wasting server space and creating fear...

I say your thread is wasting server space and that makes you a hypocrite in my book

at least the guy that posted about the 4.7 in Kenya was bringing welcome information to people that might not otherwise have known about a quake in that area

all this thread does is prove you wanted something to complain about

thread fail...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kalisdad

i agree. complaint threads bother me more than anything on this site. this particular site lends itself to overreaction. the constant insistence that all threads are started for stars and flags as opposed to people who really might just want to post something they think is interesting and could care less about stars.... is annoying.

every post that gets any attention someone winds up saying "don't fear monger" or "you're just trying to get stars and flags". it drives me nuts. the complaint threads are a lot more wasteful than posts that are simply an overreaction.

PS - i could assume that this complaint thread was started for stars and flags. there are enough cranky people on here that love to complain and would be thrilled to flag and star the OP.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
One expert is very worried...

www.conspiracyhq.com...

The op is an expert in?

Those are the people that will be screaming -whining the loudest

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Ignorance of basic science leads people to hysteria.Hysteria is VERY profitable if you run a website.

The Average American is VERY uneducated in basic earth sciences, as well as critical thought. So they think everything that happens, no matter how benign, is OMG! unprecedented the world is going to end OMG.

BUT! These same Americans have access to the internet, so their hysteria can echo out an scare other ignorant people, who will all gather on websites and blogs that have developed a successful profit model based on generating clicks via hysteria.

Not this one of course. Other ones.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Domo you seem to always play devils advocate.

Simply DON'T read those threads.

There is nothing wrong with information. Too little or too much, any info is good.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yes, earthquakes happen and so what if someone posts a 4.9 or less. Just because you dont care or wont wake up for it. oh well. Some of us do care and it is informative. Some people cant go usgs.gov or or earthquake website because they use cell phones, and they have apps.

Just go with the flow, if everyone here didn't post what they felt relevant, then there wouldnt be an ATS.

Or watch your cnn and foxnews and wait till something big enough happens that you will eventually find out.

Give me a break already, just like my weather threads. People say oh jeeze your posting another one. WHO CARES!!! dont comment, dont even look at it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I like all of the fragile earth threads, no matter how meaty they are..... as I learn something from each and every one of them.

Perhaps a break from ATS is what you need. Sometimes living in the same place for too long results in a lot of clutter, in this case the clutter would be taking up room in your brain.

edit on 17-4-2012 by Witness2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Those threads are at least more informative than this whining...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I share your frustration, Domo. I don't know what 4.7 you refer to here..I missed that thread. I WOULD note that a measly little 4.7 IS newsworthy depending on where it happens. If PNG or Vanuatu get a 4.7, people yawn and ask 'So??'. If a 4.7 is centered under the Washing Monument or the Empire State Building, I think the same people would stop yawning and start yelling. Kinda like Real Estate eh? Location Location Location. lol....

At the some time though.. Yeah, no kidding on the Chicken Little stuff. I'm not all irate about this because I recall the wonder and fear I first experienced when I FIRST discovered unfiltered and un-processed feeds showing tru Earthquake activity world wide. No one ever told ME that 3-4-5 quakes were routine to see every day, several TIMES a day, world wide and 365 days a year. I must admit, that came as quite a shock way back when.

So.... I guess I just drop this to agree..yet suggest a note of pause on it too. It's almost hilarious to us now to watch someone running around in a half panic because RSOE shows a few quakes. lol...... Then, I'm forced to recall...We all WERE that goofy guy panicing or at least, misreading things...at one time. I'd like to meet the one who knew the first time, without any explanation what was normal and what wasn't.

...... Of course, that does absolutely nothing for the Veteran guys doing this. They sure ought to know better.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

I agree it not like an earth quake can be.... ATS

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by letusascendasone
Those threads are at least more informative than this whining...

IMO they add a bit of desensitization when seen too often.

"There's a 4.0 in some area no one lives or has heard of OMG!!!!"

Easier to link recent acitivty, if looking for a pattern as an example, together when observing the EQ main post in Fragile Earth.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lives
reply to post by Domo1

Says the guy who's authored such momentous threads as:

Wikileaks rap featuring 'Hillary Clinton' & 'Alex Jones'
Should parents allow their kids to have sex at home? Your thoughts.
I want to share my flags!
Cone-ing Fad Is The New Planking
Crazy Kids Insane Train Stunts
Strong quake off Vancouver, no damage seen: witness
These Optical Illusions Scare Me
Make Sure You Web Cam Is Off - Amusing Video
Dragon Poop, UFOs, And Religion; One In The Same?
#OWS Flash Game
Jimmy Kimmel Talks to Kids - Politics - Video -
Magnitude 5.6 - OKLAHOMA
Amusing/Pitiful Robbery Attempt
An Awesome Obituary

Hey wait a minute - I didn't read all those threads cause I tend to hang out in the rant forum but I KNOW his sharing stars thread was totally appropriate - I put a lot of work into that thread that he started. I didn't want his stars, but I wholeheartedly appreciated the thought - its the thought that counts isn't it?

It was a great thread too

Mad love Domo.

And OMG can we stop with the "OMG no more EQ threads" threads?

According to the USGS

Q: Why are we having so many earthquakes? Has earthquake activity been increasing? Does this mean a big one is going to hit? OR We haven't had any earthquakes in a long time; does this mean that the pressure is building up?

A:

The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year, or approximately 55 per day. Because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about earthquakes more quickly than ever before.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 16 major earthquakes in any given year, which includes 15 earthquakes in the magnitude 7 range and one earthquake magnitude 8.0 or greater. In the past 38 years, from 1973 through 2011, our records show that we have exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes only 8 times, in 1976, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

The year with the largest total was 2010, with 24 earthquakes greater than or equal to magnitude 7.0. In other years the total was well below the 16 per year expected based on the long-term average: 1989 only saw 6, while 1988 saw only 7 major earthquakes.

We're right on par for EQ's, but the main point is that SOMEONE remembers at least 2 of his threads and considered them momentous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join