6.7 quake in Chile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.cnn.com...

A strong earthquake struck coastal Chile about 26 miles (42 kilometers) from the port city of Valparaiso late Monday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.The 6.7-magnitude quake knocked out some power and phone lines in the region, but there were no immediate reports of major damage, authorities said.

Another quake this time a 6.7, aside from slight damage no deaths occured. At least this one was close enough to shore that there is probably no risk from tsunamis. I'd really like to see if there has been an increase in quakes because it seems to me like I'm seeing these more and more often then I usually do.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I'm sure you will get many posts saying things like "this is normal", "we are just more informed because of the internet" or "there is nothing to see here, nature is unpredictable".

Fact is 6 of the top 17 largest earthquakes happened in the last 8 years going back to 1900. 6/17 of the largest quakes in 8 years. Facts are facts.

Source

Not saying the Earth is going to explode and kill everyone but if you actually look at the facts, these large quakes are on the increase.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
"This is all normal".
"we are just hearing about them more now because news travels faster"
"6.7 isn't that big"

The armchair debunkers sure do have their work cut out for them lately.
Keep 'em comin' guys.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Uh yea.

Look up

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

If it was a tornado outbreak they would claim its the season, but as far as I know there isn't a earthquake season, but it sure seems like it tho

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
www.cenariomt.com.br...
ive been watching this guys and have to say that including this one they predicted quakes weeks b4 happened
.actually they call a chile tv (live i think ) 3 days b4 and guess what .they were right
just my 2 cent
peace
edit on 17-4-2012 by suddentlyawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Actually this tornado season is going to be epic. The jet stream's positioning has a lot to do with that.

As for the EQ's, they're on the rise and no one knows why. Or do they?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

Not to worry it is just the Fed. Government testing their toys, nothing to be alarmed about...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinthoughts
reply to post by LDragonFire

Actually this tornado season is going to be epic. The jet stream's positioning has a lot to do with that.

As for the EQ's, they're on the rise and no one knows why. Or do they?

I've been compiling data, and I would have to agree 100%.

I may be no professional, although I am becoming fairly well acquainted with the terminology and means of how everything works... but I will say it again...

Actually this tornado season is going to be EPIC!

Here are some helpful links that I have been using, with in them there are links that will provide you with an abundance of information in regards to understanding just how EPIC this year may be...

Monthly and Annual U.S. Tornado Summaries
www.spc.noaa.gov...
If you are to scroll down, you will find great information... click away and see how things are changing 'for the worse'.

Earthquake Facts and Statistics
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Earthquake Facts and Statistics Graphs
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Current Marine Data
www.oceanweather.com...

Wind Map(US only)
hint.fm...

I hope that some of you find these links useful!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinthoughts

It seems like few people take into account that there could be higher beings residing in higher dimensions, they are built by particles extremely much more microscopic and powerful than our cells. They can do anything they want to us and I believe they are called Gods. Furthermore, imagine their time is ahead of ours, what is happening here already happened there.. So predestiny is a definite option and disasters have been predicted during the end times since a few thousand years. When mankind´s karma becomes huge and moral standards collapse disasters, wars and plagues are a natural consequence.

The end times is predicted to start by a megaquake in the Bible.

Just my two cents, no truth can be offered.

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance is good, Falun Dafa is good

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Im actually at Buenos Aires, some friends of mine felt it in Parana, and that is 650 miles away (1050km) from the epicenter. It was a long one, the tremor lasted for al least one minute.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
edit on 17-4-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Unfortunately, it's not comparable to what is to come.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by litterbaux

Fact is 6 of the top 17 largest earthquakes happened in the last 8 years going back to 1900

Well obviously the equipment was equal to what we have now. Of course in the year 1900 there were as many 'listening' stations. I'm sure it was also possible for news to travel as fast. Hell I bet technology and it's deployment hasn't changed at all in 112 years. Sure aren't more cars on the road.

You Earthquake fear mongers are ridiculous. Yeah, someday soon a big earthquake is going to mess up a country that actually matters (US), but kids, this has been going on for so long you can't even comprehend it. You post and you post, get riled up and nothing happens.

Every month there is a new prediction that a big EQ will happen to a place of consequence. The US. Of course at some point someone will be right. Until then, you are all just kids bleating for attention. And enjoy your 140 + IQs.

I'm not fear mongering, do you even know what that means? It sure gets thrown around on this website loosely.

On topic, are you saying in 1900 we didn't have accurate ways of detecting the magnitude of earthquakes?

John Milne was the English seismologist and geologist who invented the first modern seismograph and promoted the building of seismological stations. In 1880, Sir James Alfred Ewing, Thomas Gray and John Milne, all British scientists working in Japan, began to study earthquakes. They founded the Seismological Society of Japan and the society funded the invention of seismographs. Milne invented the horizontal pendulum seismograph in 1880.

Source

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

So glad you quoted the response from Domo before he/she deleted it!

These things are happening more often!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
With respect, unless it's a MAJOR quake, do we really need to start a new thread each time?

You can post info, speculate and comment on the QUAKE WATCH thread, which has very informed people there, that can help clarify earthquake statistics, theories etc.

I'd just rather there be just one place to post and comment in, regarding earthquakes.

Quake Watch

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Wow this is just crazy

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 7.0
Date-Time

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 07:13:50 UTC
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 05:13:50 PM at epicenter

Location 5.600°S, 147.200°E
Depth 202 km (125.5 miles) set by location program
Region EASTERN NEW GUINEA REG, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
Distances

130 km (81 miles) N (10°) from Lae, New Guinea, PNG
156 km (97 miles) ESE (104°) from Madang, New Guinea, PNG
204 km (127 miles) ENE (75°) from Goroka, New Guinea, PNG
430 km (267 miles) N (360°) from PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST= 35, Nph= 35, Dmin=382.2 km, Rmss=1.04 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=1
Source

West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS

Event ID at00m2m431
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Maybe USGS should do the same. Instead of alerting us of every quake, maybe they should just start a thread so other users can drivel on about how many earthquakes they've been thru.

I'd rather have the updates. The OP had the data, a map and a small observation.

Since you post regularly on the quake watch thread, a 6.7 is a small earthquake?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I'm not fear mongering, do you even know what that means? It sure gets thrown around on this website loosely. On topic, are you saying in 1900 we didn't have accurate ways of detecting the magnitude of earthquakes?

I am well aware of what fear mongering is. I suppose that may not have been the intent with your post, so I will apologize for that. Yes, I am saying in 1900 we were not as capable of detecting the magnitude of an earthquake, and certainly were not able to detect them all over the globe.

May I ask what the point of sharing this earthquake was? Nothing really happened, it didn't happen in a place that matters, earthquakes happen daily... Shoot I bet lighting just struck somewhere. Should I start a thread?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

So glad you quoted the response from Domo before he/she deleted it!

We prefer the term transgendered.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join