It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The purchase of a Kindle has clouded my mind!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Oh My, I think I fell for something that has totally distracted me.....well from everything. I joined ATS at end of last year, and was like awakened to so much. I was learning, and really enjoying interacting and making new friends and seeking the truth about this world on so many different levels, and then BAM I bought a Kindle, and have just been so into it, I literally haven't been on ATS in a long while.

I really don't want to admit this part, but WTF....I totally been reading Vampire novels and Paranormal Fiction!

I guess I am curious to know if any ATS members believe this is another creation to detour our minds from what's really going on, and if anyone else out there is addicted to their Kindles as well?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

That's funny because I was having similar worries only in the opposite direction. I have been concerned because I used to spend more time reading books but now I seem to spend all my time on the internet jumping around between different websites, posting on ATS and other sites instead of curling up with a good book and reading it cover-to-cover. I have been worried that it is making me more impatient and distractable, and eroding my attention span.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

I love kindle. I use it on my iPad, I dont even use iBooks because their books are more expensive.

But, to your point, no, I do not believe the kindle is somehow part of a conspiracy to distract us from the things going on in this ridiculous world. I believe a great company with a great business model marketed a great product.
Books have always been around the only difference is now I can read them instantaneously. It is AWESOME.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I can only see reading as a good thing, because if it wasnt for reading, people might instead just be watching mindless reality garbage on tv, at least while reading your brain is getting used (even if it is vampire books
). Its a lot more entertaining than TV as you have obviously been enjoying reading so much, be it yeah you havent been on ATS much but reading vs. tv, reading always wins hands down. I'm actually looking at getting a kindle or something similar soon, i have so many books but just dont like reading them on my pc because of the distractions just a mouse click away, so i no doubt also as soon as i get one i'll be on here less and more catching up on the 1500 books i currently have in my library lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

You guys are both right. OP/Leftist

Personally it is how you use it, not what it is that matters.

The internet has made me impatient and an information whore.
Reading has made me distracted from reality.
The Internet has informed me on world events I would never otherwise know about.
Reading has given me the oportunity to expand my mind in new directions.

Everything is a distraction from everything else. It's not good or bad it's just different.

You can read enlightening information on your kindle. You can use ATS as a catalogue (can't spell) of books to pick up on your kindle. I like hard copies myself when I can afford it. I don't own a kindle, but I download soo many PDFs (Ebooks) it's rediculous.

The present moment is all that IS. Live it up!

edit on 4/17/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I have owned a nook since they have come out. Yet I still wonder through the stacks of books at the book store and the library, like a lost animal.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I am not addicted to my Kindle as bad as I am to this Link those dang free books keep me coming back for more and more. When I can't find something to read on ATS I go shopping on that Link It has opened my eyes to so many genres now that I am not paying for them.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
No kindle for me. I will always read regular books. You can get them for next to nothing at a yard sale or flea market or second hand store and you can donate them or share them with friends when you're done.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leftist

I have been concerned because I used to spend more time reading books but now I seem to spend all my time on the internet jumping around between different websites, posting on ATS and other sites instead of curling up with a good book and reading it cover-to-cover. I have been worried that it is making me more impatient and distractable, and eroding my attention span.

Word.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for your input! Its cool that some of you have the complete opposite of my problem. I think I will just have Kindle time and ATS Time equally now!

top topics

join