It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Autism Linked to Industrial Food, Environment

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentThundersGF

I do agree with the poster who said (paraphrase, forgive me) that the rise in rate of diagnosis of autism has far more to do with doctors than environmental factors. The criteria for qualifying autism have becom far, far more broad and sweeping over the last 15 years or so, and at an exponential rate.

However, it is worth noting that many of the traits for autism: detail oriented, good with numbers, systems, and data, etc... are far more likely to be successfull economically these days. Therefor particularly for males (who may not have had a chance 50+ years ago; remember the "Poindexter" stereotype anyone...?) are more likely to get a mate and reproduce.

Also, our current society makes it easier for people who lack social capacity to make up for it with less direct interfaces that are easier for autistic people to cope with. For example, they can still meet people online; say... Facebook, or Match.Com, or... whatever, and get comfortable enough to eventually meet someone in person. Otherwise when forced to cope with a direct face to face interaction right off the bat they may have become overwhelmed, and been too awkward to connect. Not to mention that "like does attract like". At least, to a point anyway. Our society for the last few decades has been evolving to reinforce and in many ways redefine those "autistic" traits as "successful" traits.

Long story short, I think that there is a genetic factor here that is huge.

For the record: diagnosed aspergers myself, with a daughter the same, and I kinda resent it when people imply that there is something "wrong" with how we are wired, and that we can be "fixed" if we just stop eating sugar, or meat, or bread, or take the right supplements, or go to this seminar, or if we didn't get vaccinated, or on and on and on and on... I've heard it all. Also, for the record, my daughter began manifesting autistic traits by six months well before the MMR, and I was speaking full sentences by 12 months; again before the MMR. Now, we are o.k. I don't think there is anything wrong with us. However...

It cannot be said that environmental factors are completely out of the question, and not everyone is o.k. There may be a genetic perpensity that is sensitive to environmental factors; and this is where I think that epigenetics gets interesting. I think that diet is a long shot as a factor, but in good conscience I cannot rule it out completely. Although, if I found out that I could "cure" myself by eating less gluten or high-fructose corn syrup, I wouldn't change a goddam thing about how I eat.
edit on 17-4-2012 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2012 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Most of the genetic diseases are tied strongly to diet. People are eating things they have not evolved to and this causes switches on the genes to be switched. All people are not the same. Our personal ancestors habits control our health. Believe me, There are a lot of cross reactivities out there where food is tied to being consumed at a certain time of the year because of cross reactivities with the environment and other foods we eat in the seasons. I read about thirty articles yesterday on one chemical in tea, researching which plants also contain this chemical. I am trying to figure out when this chemical is good for us and when it is bad. I also studied similar chemicals that were formed by other life forms like fungus and bacteria and whether they contained properties that would have similar positive and negative effects. To learn to apply this stuff it has to be thought over extensively and compared against foods. I stare in the fridge and at the food in my pantry and try to understand cross reactions. I am not interested in only identifying problems I try to figure out antidotes and companion foods necessary for proper energy production and healing..

A can of chicken noodle soup probably won't hurt anyone unless they eat it with another food where the chemistry conflicts. That is not the responsibility of the canning company, It will probably be safe to eat with a sandwich of a certain kind. Eating homemade chicken soup can also have a cross reactivity with other foods also. You don't usually eat chicken soup and lobster together, it's possible that certain chemistry could conflict. Studying food and it's effect on the body is just a hobby of mine, something that keeps me from being bored. I suppose my studies would be considered healthy chef training or Alchemist training..

I think there are quite a few people with Aspergers syndrome out there. It seems that people I knew who liked their repetative jobs may have possessed symptoms of this. I don't know if I would call it a problem with a person just because they have this syndrome. Some people are different than others and not everyone has to be a doctor or rocket scientist to be an excellent person. In today's fast evolving society it could be bad, and good jobs for people who have small flaws are disappearing. I liked working at Kohler on a production line when I worked there in the early eighties for a little over a year. I wish they had more factories here in the USA for people to work at. The pushing of a consumer based society never worked long in history, why did our government ever think it would now?
edit on 17-4-2012 by rickymouse because: add

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentThundersGF

If it weren't so true, this would be pure comedy!!!

--Studies funded by Big Farming (Monsanto, etc.) show that rising autism is caused by Big Industry and/or Big Pharma.
--Studies funded by Big Pharma (Pfizer, etc.) show that rising autism is caused by Big Farming and/or Big Industry.
--Studies funded by Big Industry (energy companies, oil companies, etc.) show that rising autism is caused by Big Farming and/or Big Pharma.

CAVEAT: Studies funded by Big Comm (wireless communication, cell phone companies, etc.) show that cell phones are completely safe and have no direct links to tumors that happen to grow on the favored side of the cranium. "Favored" meaning the side of your head you use the cell phone on the most. All that electromagnetic energy being pumped directly into your skull on your favored side has nothing to do with the tumor that may eventually take root there.

Again, if not so lethal, all of this would be like one hilarious shell game.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The autism rate is increasing:

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join