It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: French Minister: No EU Slot For Turkey For At Least 15 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Speaking to LCI television this Sunday, French Finance Minister Nicolas Sarkozy has indicated that the best case scenario for Turkey to going the European Union (EU)may be as long as 15 years away. He further indicated that Turkey could only join once France held a referendum on the issue. The comments come on the heels of on the approval of a new penal code that boosted support for women and increased penalties for police torture by the Turkish parliament. These changes had been made in an effort to boost negotiation on the entry of the country to the EU.

news.ft.com
Turkey will not join the European Union for at least 15 years and could only do so once France had held a referendum on the issue, French Finance Minister Nicolas Sarkozy said on Sunday.

�The membership of Turkey, in the best of cases, will not happen for 15 years,� he told LCI television. �A decision as important as the membership of Turkey in Europe could only be taken after there had been a referendum in France.�

Sarkozy, who plans to quit the Finance Ministry in November to lead France�s ruling conservative party, said he had reservations about Turkey joining the 25-member bloc.

He was sceptical about the idea �not because it is a Muslim country but because Turkey alone represents the membership of the 10 countries (mainly) from eastern Europe�, he said, referring to the countries that joined the bloc this year.

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc, asking if Europe really wanted �the river of Islam to enter the riverbed of secularism�.

Raffarin said Turkey had made progress in adjusting its laws and institutions to EU standards under Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, but queried the overwhelmingly Muslim but secular state�s ability to stay the course.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cemil Cicek, the Turkish Justice Minister was quoted as saying �Now, a date for negotiations will be given (by the EU)� These changes take place just 10 days before the European Commission delivers a report on Turkey. The report will make a recommendation if the EU will open talks with Turkey for membership. The talks if initiated could take a decade. The parliament had already approved the legislation, but it was shelved by the government over plans to outlaw adultery. This decision caused concern within the EU and also effected the Turkish financial markets. There have been concerns from EU member nations like Austria, but France has been the most vocal to this point. French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin asked if the union wanted �the river of Islam to enter the riverbed of secularism�. It is unclear at this point what effect this may have on the consideration of Turkey to the EU. President Bush was rebuffed earlier in the year when he spoke on Turkeys behalf about entering the EU.

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Right Back At Ya: Bush rebuff to Chirac over Turkey

[edit on 26-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The French are out of control with arrogance. I'm a Turkish-American, and I've been to Turkey numerous times, and I would compare the Muslimness of Turkey to the Christianness of America.

It's about the same, and other religions in Turkey have no fear strolling about, and doing what they do. I don't believe in any religion and I have no problem strolling around there.

The French have a huge Muslim population, so the "river" is already flowing...

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   
He is just a Prime Minister, 10 years from now nobody knows where he will be. Also, for a country to enter the EU it must be accepted by all members.
If France its the only country to opose the entry of one country it is going to have trouble presenting its reasons.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Please note the difference between the Turks living in other countries and those living in Turkey. All of those I met, know and I have friendship with, do NOT want to be compared to those in their home country.

Furthermore especially Turks here in Germany are AGAINST Turkey as a new EU member. And let me conclude something: They must have a good reason why they don't want to have their own home country in the EU.

As much as I like the Turks in my country and congratulate on their integration into society, I see to much contras against Turkey in the EU.

By the way. If we talk about EU politics and Turkey as member you should know the connection to Cyprus and TRNC
- the failed reunification voted by the TRNC citizens was basically the reason that Turkey will not enter the EU in the next decades.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The Greeks got what they deserve there. And they should just deal with it. Besides, my father fought in Cyprus, and I DO know the history there.

The Greeks are lucky they have the bottom half.

And furthermore, the Turks in Germany shouldn't be deciding that.

I think the reality here, it that you, as a German do not want Turkey in the EU. Right?

That's fine then.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by cstyle226]

top topics

join