It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music,Thug life and the american culture is whats wrong with this country!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Oh boy ok guys... I love dance music by all types of races! It is very moving and great stimuli

But look around, open your eyes to todays youth! Let the bodies hit the floor type of music?? I hardly see children saying that or acting that out?? lol wow.... I recently watched the newest chipmunks movie... called chipwrecked... .when i was young the original chipmunks sang decent songs and music.... now they are rapping and talking about sex in their songs!! All of this is directed towards the younger audience with a "G" rating WTF"?? lol i live out in the country, im not an elvis fan...btw I just dont get the city life and the way you people are, and the things you accept in "your" culture.... cause it sure as hell ain't mine!

edit on 01/04/2009 by steve95988 because: spelling

edit on 01/04/2009 by steve95988 because: spelling again

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve95988
First off this is not gonna be a rant, but rather a look of how i view the above mentioned Title.

It does not matter what race someone is when they make rap music, and try to be a thug, glorifying drugs,sex,violence,stealing,money,fancy cars, and many other wrong things that is being put in to the American society.

We have now all hear about this whole deal with Trayvon Martin, and George Zimmerman dilemma, and speaking of that, one of the best threads with lots of links and info are on this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe today's society and especially today's youth in the united states are being brainwashed by music (mostly Rap).
There is nothing to glorify when all the rappers do is talk about negative things, well things that should be considered negative... Selling drugs and riding with the homies in a stolen escalade should not be glorified and played on TV and the radio to today's youth!
I seriously think when the Constitution was made and the First Amendment was introduced they should have set limits or boundaries.. look at what has happened to this country since rap music debuted and gave birth to the thug! The American culture today is all about looking like you are cool and having gold teeth and baggie pants.. This is not cool and its only leading to the destruction of this once great nation.

I want to know your general input on this subject... Do you personally believe music, thug life and the American culture has polluted the minds of the American people?

Well i sure do.....

You are so close minded it's not funny.

How can you say that hip hop gave birth to the 'thug' when 'thugs' have existed since Capone (Well.. Much earlier than that, but a good WHITE example for this bloke)? How are any of your claims justified? Who are you to say that people who live under impoverished standards where gang culture IS their life, don't have the right to voice their opinions and experiences in the appropriate medium?

Matter of fact. Who are you in general? What great contributions have you made to humanity? Why should we all fall behind you as the great white knight for morality?

Tupac - Changes
www.youtube.com...

N.W.A - Express Yourself
www.youtube.com...

Hilltop Hoods - Stopping All Stations
www.youtube.com...

Bliss n Eso - Bullet & A Target
www.youtube.com...

These are real people speaking on real issues in a medium that is appropriate to their target audience. Not one of these songs is glorifying any of the actions you spoke of. The words of some do not represent the opinion of the whole.

This is not cool and its only leading to the destruction of this once great nation.

Your government destroyed your country in 1931 when you moved away from the gold standard and started bullying everyone else to do the same, and music is your concern?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

edit on 16-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ideasarebulletproof
People complained about all this in the 80's with Heavy Metal music. Now its rap.

People just need to face the facts: Metal music, rap music, video games, TV shows, movies, etc do not have a negative effect on kids. They just don't. There is zero evidence of any of it having an effect. Period.

Anyone who blames any of the above for the way kids in society are, are just picking a scape goat and running with it.

In the 50's, people thought Elvis was ruining their kids. ELVIS. C'mon.

Zero Evidence, LOL.

I guess then NOTHING has an effect on anything, society is the way it is for no reason at all.

What people need to realize is, the rap mentality, the gotta be cool, the way they dress is all to intimidate others...and it works.

I laugh when people say , "I just like to dress this way"...sure you do, you just somehow gravitated towards it huh...no effect, again.

The thing is, it may talk about the problems, and all the emotions, the HATE , and all the more HATE...it resonates with the kids who feel already pain in life...the PROBLEM with it is, it tells these kids that the only way out is to HATE some more, to dominate others , to basically have nothing but MORE problems...but ahh who cares gotta die sometime !!

This music constantly reinforces the fact that nothing can change, it will just be worse, worthless without gangster living...tells them to dress like idiots, with hats on sideways, smoke drugs and drink till you pass out is the ONLY WAY...and oh yeah, GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY ...or i'll smash your face.

YES, it talks alot about the pain and problems, but offers only solutions of MORE pain and problems...its like going back in time to living like beasts. EGO music, if i have ever heard it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
it is all in this story... take a second to read..

teenink.com...

This sums it up people.... the truth is the truth

thug gangster whatever you want to call it, never before in this country's history have we had such BAD role models!!

Ever since the rise of rap and hip-hop music, teens have been turning to them to help solve their problems. However, these kinds of music can be very destructive to teens

edit on 01/04/2009 by steve95988 because: Added Q

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ideasarebulletproof

This music constantly reinforces the fact that nothing can change, it will just be worse, worthless without gangster living...tells them to dress like idiots, with hats on sideways, smoke drugs and drink till you pass out is the ONLY WAY...and oh yeah, GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY ...or i'll smash your face.

www.youtube.com...

And all I know is the sun is shining,
yet we fight on through the night
while the burgs are melting and the sea is rising
I don’t know so I ask them why

Yeah, why are they refusing to listen
why are these troops on a mission
and why are they shooting these victims
over their view on religion
yeah why do we all search for love
like we got cupids addiction
why with politicians you can’t tell
the truth from the fiction

why do we pollute where were living
why are these youth put at risk
and why is this fool on dominion
kept us consumed in this prison
na na na na

I won’t jump through the hoops of this system
nothing stands between
you and the pursuit of your vision
I grab a loop of this rhythm
it puts the juice in my pistons
so jump back, react spit
in the boots with precision

and when I’m
cruising with ism’ yeah I’m doosing the splif
It’s a BNE show bitch getting loose was a given
I don’t want them to look back
when the future was written
and know we killed ourselves
with nuclear fission and stupid decisions

# I’d rather an asteroid due for collision
then know the planet got #ed by the human condition
sing the tune with conviction!

All I know is the sun is shining
yet we fight on thought the night
And all I know is the sun is shining
well if you don’t know # I don’t know
I guess all we can do is ask them why

yeah I’m an old school poet
yeah yo yo yo I’m an old school poet
I cherish the ink
that cosmic cowboy that doesn’t care what they think
real magic isn’t card tricks big cribs and cars bitch
it’s making something out of nothing
through this hardship

and even though we know that the earth is weak
we still bomb each other and idol what the churches speak
it’s like this land is either one by labour or liberal
but don’t get entwisted their the same as the criminals

open your eyes simply notice the issue
that we stuck to our guns
without promoting the pistol
we only orchestrated
the sound that we all love
split because of colour but bound because of blood

so before we all blow and they sell the scene
know that the only thing that’s bullet proof
is my self esteem
see this is way beyond cash,
and ego tripping
it’s an epic electric eso ecosystem
Grow with me!

I don’t have to tell you things are bad
everybody knows things are bad
pollutions recognise the icecaps are melting quick
Kids trust no one and why else would they
the air is unfit to breathe, our food is unfit to eat

It’s an inferno land,
pollutions recognise the icecaps are melting quick
# all that #; we are here together in this country as one
as #ing one!
It’s all about peace, love and unity
sing it, peace, love and unity

You use the word 'Constantly'.. I don't think it means what you think it means.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DankKing420
society caused the thugs in the first place. rap just followed.

if you want to fix something fix the cause

Truth hurts, it's easier to blame a style of music for the failures of our society. Rap isn't the problem, it's more a chronicler of the times. For the most part, it's not my favorite style of music, but to blame all of societies ill's on it smacks of hmmmmmmm what's the word, oh yeah, racism.

The inner city of most American major Cities wasn't caused by Rap. Take a look in the mirror and see who caused it.

The real question is how do we fix things.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Not to worry, rap/thug music with its monotone bad grammar lyrics is finally on its way out. With the explosion of dubstep and massive leaps in electronic music just like heavy metal went by the wayside....so too will the saggy pants and immature thug culture will fade/is fading (thank god). Kids who dress all thuggy are now being made fun of like those who rocked king size mullets back in the day. Soon it will be and is being replaced with other new types of obnoxiousness to annoy parents with
I for one will be glad when the whole retarded machismo loving safgy thug life trend is a thing of the past. Won't be long now for sure.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

never before in this country's history have we had such BAD role models!!

See, thats where you make your mistake. You could reasonably make an argument that popular music is molded and distributed in a way that is meant to corrupt morals. That is a legit argument, and one that has been made since at east the 1920s.

But when you make a statement that implies todays pop culture is somehow different than that of decades past, well, that just come accross as a cranky old man complaining about things he doesnt understand.

Because the EXACT same thing was said about pop music in every decade for several generations.

Did you know people RIOTED in the theater when they first heard -rock around the clock- in 195whatever?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

never before in this country's history have we had such BAD role models!!

See, thats where you make your mistake. You could reasonably make an argument that popular music is molded and distributed in a way that is meant to corrupt morals. That is a legit argument, and one that has been made since at east the 1920s.

But when you make a statement that implies todays pop culture is somehow different than that of decades past, well, that just come accross as a cranky old man complaining about things he doesnt understand.

Because the EXACT same thing was said about pop music in every decade for several generations.

Did you know people RIOTED in the theater when they first heard -rock around the clock- in 195whatever?

I am 36 btw and feel like an old man indeed, but i have lived a good life and have raised good kids with decent morals and i pray they will do the same to their children.
As to your statement comparing yesterdays music to todays Thug rap music there is no comparison what so ever, NONE.. parents 7 and 8 year old daughters never wore mini skirts to school that have sexy written on their rear end... Hello????

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

As to your statement comparing yesterdays music to todays Thug rap music there is no comparison what so ever, NONE.. parents 7 and 8 year old daughters never wore mini skirts to school that have sexy written on their rear end... Hello????

And that is all because of rap music, huh?

Wow.

onhuge.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I am 36 btw and feel like an old man indeed, but i have lived a good life and have raised good kids with decent morals and i pray they will do the same to their children.

The loose morals you're associating with hip hop are a symptom of society, not the cause.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Wow.

onhuge.com...

lol
nice picture btw!! but it is because of rap music! U see, in country, metal or rock music there are no "sluts" shaking their ass and gettin "low" on the dance floor..... Rap has basically put the nail in the coffin of good morals for todays youth... I see it.... its apparent that u dont..

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Apologies in advance, but I actually took the whole "denying ignorance" thing seriously when I joined here a couple of years ago, so -- it is in that spirit that I respectfully disagree and suggest you read Plato's Apology, wherein Socrates was accused by the ancient Greek PTB of "refusing to worship the proscribed gods" and "corruption of the nation's youth."

With any luck, you will quickly see how inane these kinds of arguments (and rants) actually are, and why they serve no useful purpose on ATS.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What is music, but art?

How can we possibly blame an art form for negative associations?

I am not a big fan of 'rap' anyways, it died when Tupac did. Tupac was a poet, the man spoke about what he knew, whether it was hustling or positive changes for the future, and always had a tremendous passion for it all. He talked about shooting people, yes, but it was raw emotion, everyone feels it, we may not think about 'shooting' them, but everyone knows someone they would love to shut up, in one way or another.

Today's 'rap' is a reflection of society. Our society loves money and fame, ask most kids nowadays and they want to be a singer, actor/actress, or some type of sports athlete.

They are taught that, and these rappers capitalize on teens ambitions of becoming rich.

What's really negative is our culture. Art, or 'negative' art, is just a reflection of our culture.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I dunno. Why do we "allow" TV shows to me made about Lawyers, Cops and Doctors, wherein outrageous mayhem and violence are depicted throughout, but the "good guys" always save the day within 51 minutes or less?

Could it be because TV and movies are generally written in third person, and music is generally written in first person? What makes you think musicians are somehow more culpable for the words they write than screenwriters or commercial advertisers are for theirs? Double standard much?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
..... delete...
edit on 16-4-2012 by dayve because: ...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

U see, in country, metal or rock music there are no "sluts" shaking their ass and gettin "low" on the dance floor..... Rap has basically put the nail in the coffin of good morals for todays youth... I see it.... its apparent that u dont..

Now I see you are just joking around.

Good one!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I will stand firmly in what i and many others believe... That the best way to control someone (mind control) is by music.... many people say its a reflection of our culture... but i believe it started first... the negative music (mostly thug rap) which has created our culture.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Wow.

onhuge.com...

lol
nice picture btw!! but it is because of rap music! U see, in country, metal or rock music there are no "sluts" shaking their ass and gettin "low" on the dance floor..... Rap has basically put the nail in the coffin of good morals for todays youth... I see it.... its apparent that u dont..

Ok man I am done, you are just going to be ignorant.

Their are no "sluts" in rock music? haha, groupies come to mind for one example. But it doesn't matter anyway, you are so convinced rap music is the monster that no matter what, the boogy woogy rap monster will get come and take your innocence. Watch out!!!

I will stand firmly in what i and many others believe... That the best way to control someone (mind control) is by music.... many people say its a reflection of our culture... but i believe it started first... the negative music (mostly thug rap) which has created our culture.

Ok dude, good luck with that. Wish you the best in your journeys.
I'm outta this thread.
edit on 16-4-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join