It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music,Thug life and the american culture is whats wrong with this country!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
First off this is not gonna be a rant, but rather a look of how i view the above mentioned Title.

It does not matter what race someone is when they make rap music, and try to be a thug, glorifying drugs,sex,violence,stealing,money,fancy cars, and many other wrong things that is being put in to the American society.

We have now all hear about this whole deal with Trayvon Martin, and George Zimmerman dilemma, and speaking of that, one of the best threads with lots of links and info are on this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe today's society and especially today's youth in the united states are being brainwashed by music (mostly Rap).
There is nothing to glorify when all the rappers do is talk about negative things, well things that should be considered negative... Selling drugs and riding with the homies in a stolen escalade should not be glorified and played on TV and the radio to today's youth!
I seriously think when the Constitution was made and the First Amendment was introduced they should have set limits or boundaries.. look at what has happened to this country since rap music debuted and gave birth to the thug! The American culture today is all about looking like you are cool and having gold teeth and baggie pants.. This is not cool and its only leading to the destruction of this once great nation.

I want to know your general input on this subject... Do you personally believe music, thug life and the American culture has polluted the minds of the American people?

Well i sure do.....

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
an example that not all rap music is negative...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Sorry dont know how to embed...

All these artist just speak truth, and try to wake up the world.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
society caused the thugs in the first place. rap just followed.

if you want to fix something fix the cause

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hmmm....

Music isnt the problem. The lack of morals,and principles are.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hoonsince89

Thank you for that!

OP, your just not open-minded enough to listen to the good stuff that is filled with truth and love.

I'm kind of curious what music genre you listen to, or take the time to add the filth and negativity
in your post about country, rock n roll, etc.....

Just a thought.

Do you have something against the black culture? that started it?
edit on 16-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: last line

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Today's youth listen to music and pretty much dream of being like their favorite artist, rapper or whatever, Why does the general society allow this type of music that has no morals or Good input to "rap" ABOUT?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by hoonsince89

Thank you for that!

OP, your just not open-minded enough to listen to the good stuff that is filled with truth and love.

I'm kind of curious what music genre you listen to, or take the time to add the filth and negativity
in your post about country, rock n roll, etc.....

Just a thought.

Do you have something against the black culture? that started it?
edit on 16-4-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: last line

I listened to the music that was linked as well... AND pretty much the first thing i heard was Mother F***** and smoking drugs!!
how is this good morals for today's youth?? WOW
To answer your question i listen to all types of music by all colors... I listen to black artist who speak their words about dancing or having a good time... But not the ones who glorify drugs and the general thug life... This not cool... Are you blind that speaking of such things to children they will only act that out in return someday??

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This is exactly what they were saying about Elvis, the Beatles and etc... ad infinitum, through all time...

The beautiful thing about this country is, if you don't like something, you don't have to participate.

It would seem to me that you would rather make everyone live by your standards rather than allow people to live by their own standards. Tolerance is a wonderful thing. Freedom cannot exist without tolerance.

Music or culture is not the cause of problems in society, it is a reflection of society. How can a reflection be the cause?

Anyhow, if people want to get rid of it, they should start supporting it. Nothing will kill rap music and thug culture quicker than a bunch of old people supporting it.

That all being said, I do think that rap culture can set a bad example for todays youth. I have also seen how it can set a good example. I think it has more to do with the individual person and their upbringing than the music or the culture.

It is the parents job to raise the children. Without the parents doing it culture will take over. If you want to blame something, blame the parents.
edit on 16-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I don't think we get to blame societal woes on things like music, video games and TV. I know a ton of very kind, well adjusted socially responsible people who still enjoy rap, playing violent video games and what not. I've met some psychos that only liked rock, or country or techno. I think only idiots or those with no sense of self/family get sucked into thuggish mentalities.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I agree with the OP . It all started with NWA and even that example the word " N" word shouldn't even be around anymore , it is negative and offensive. The mentality , I am going to steal from you or rip you off or prison mentality who is more Gangsta.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Really?!?!

Your assumptions about "rap" music is whats wrong with this world. Thug life is nothing more than a symbol. Some teens symbolize rap, some teens symbolize country music, or rock music or what ever they feel is important. You can pick any of it apart and says its bad. But that is just ignorant. Sure, some of its bad. But not all of it, just like with country music and some of those "known songs", or rock music about suicide or worshiping the devil. Its all in your head. Get over it.
Young people are easily influenced. Its not the music, its the parents. Nothing more, nothing less.

reply to post by BladeRunner5050

REALLY now????

How about you go ahead and go to youtube and type in Johnny Rebel. See what kind of "proper" music comes up

Or how about Korn, or Marilyn Manson.

Rap music..... Right...

edit on 16-4-2012 by MoosKept240 because: added

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Music is not a problem in any form. Whether it's hip hop or country. The problem with America is the fact that it's controlled by an elite group of rich puppeteers.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Why does the general society allow this type of music that has no morals or Good input to "rap" ABOUT?

I am reminded of the proverbial does art imitate life , or life imitate art? Could this music be a reflection or an influence? I think a little of both, but in regards to the 'thug' rap(ackowledging here there is some good rap music/artists too), I too have wondered why it floods the radio and other media. Is it what the people really want? There are numerous positive rap groups, but why do they remain 'underground' and not get a lot of play?
Why the proliferation of the negativity?

Here is one angle to consider, conspiratorially speaking. Who signs their checks? Who makes the calls on what gets play time? It is my OPINION that there are those in power that want to continue the strife between African- Americans, as well as continue to fortify a negative perception of African- Americans. Yes, I believe there are some in power that are pure racists and wish harm upon African Americans.

Now am I here to justify the negative projection of some rap artists or animosity amongst AA's? No, I am just expressing what I think may be part of the problem...who signs the checks? Yes, I realize there are AA record co's, but who writes their checks? Who decides what gets radio play? IMO, the ole 'follow the money' facet can be applied here too.

edit on 16-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Yeah and those darn Beatles and their long hair and promiscuous ways!

And Elvis shakin his hips on national television - it's disgusting!

Rock and roll is ruining our culture and destroying the foundation of this once great nation!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BladeRunner5050
I agree with the OP . It all started with NWA and even that example the word " N" word shouldn't even be around anymore , it is negative and offensive. The mentality , I am going to steal from you or rip you off or prison mentality who is more Gangsta.

I remember when NWA came out.. came straight outta Compton and the ghetto en.wikipedia.org...

It has only gotten worse from that point out... Sure there is some "bad" music in country and rock, but nothing compared to "thug style" and Rap music" Those two are connected whether you wanna believe that or not.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
when i clicked the link to this thread, i was thinking someone bumped a thread first written over a decade ago.

long story short, rap/hip hop is no longer produced. it died almost 10 years ago.

all of its fans are left with nothing more than 240p youtube videos that allow them to reminisce of a more energetic and optimistic time.

but i see the hate for this music has managed to survive and is in 1080p.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
NOT ALL RAP IS BAD!!!!! Click any of the links in my signature. I make GOOD rap. I talk about GOD and exposing the NWO. No reason to blame all rap for anything. Rap is only as good as the rapper making it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

This is exactly what they were saying about Elvis, the Beatles and etc... ad infinitum, through all time...

To be fair Elvis and the Beatles weren't glorifying murder, pimping out women, senseless violence money over all else. I do find it pathetic to look at some thugged out kid trying to look 'hard' and rich wearing a gold chain from K-mart. Elvis and the Beatles may have lacked substance (I hope gimme_some_truth doesn't see this) but at least they weren't pushing the same kind of violence prevalent in today's rap/hip hop scene. That and the ridiculous assertion that money = everything. The stuff on the radio is all about the same thing, being famous for singing about being famous, money and such.

Nothing will kill rap music and thug culture quicker than a bunch of old people supporting it.

I recall a South Park episode where this technique was employed with great success.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Parents have the ability to not let their children listen to certain music. Just another symptom of bad parenting, all the kids listening to negative music. Just because it's on the radio doesn't mean you should let your child listen to it. Media (TV, radio, internet) is a business ran by adults for profit, and you don't have to allow your child to be a participant in the business scheme, especially if you find it detrimental to their well-being.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by sageofmonticello

To be fair Elvis and the Beatles weren't glorifying murder, pimping out women, senseless violence money over all else. I do find it pathetic to look at some thugged out kid trying to look 'hard' and rich wearing a gold chain from K-mart. Elvis and the Beatles may have lacked substance (I hope gimme_some_truth doesn't see this) but at least they weren't pushing the same kind of violence prevalent in today's rap/hip hop scene. That and the ridiculous assertion that money = everything. The stuff on the radio is all about the same thing, being famous for singing about being famous, money and such.

Nothing will kill rap music and thug culture quicker than a bunch of old people supporting it.

I recall a South Park episode where this technique was employed with great success.

I totally agree with you, and those are some of the words i was trying to think of when I started this thread, but could not
My nieces and nephews, anywhere from 6-14 years old crank this Thug music glorifying all those things into their still growing minds
I know it effects them, i know they may act out or try to be thuggish immediately or later in life... Children DO act out what they see and what they hear... look at the kids at school.... Hang out at mc'ds at lunch time and tell me you don't see this thug rap music being acted out in the children's expressions and words that they use daily!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join