It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything Homebrew!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

i dunno, your the expert.

I have 3 20 somethings living upstairs, they may be glad to help. i wish my brother lived closer, he is a beer and foodie. And has homebrewed himself.

I don't want to give out my address to a bunch of people. maybe they can be shipped to you, you set it up so you know the makers, and put anonymous identifiers on them, and then send them to me.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Agreed, with the giving out an addy. I'd be willing to have contestants to ship to my local, then forward them to you, only me knowing your addy.

Even that is weird. Gotta wait to see what other solutions the rest are comfortable with. K?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword and nixie_nox

All of us attending the annual Members of Barliament brewfest/campout are getting a little ansy. The excitement levels are high.

This year me and my brother brother in-law are going everything oatmeal. From the oatmeal stout we're brewing to every item food we bring to our meals (except for the steak). From the breakfast oatmeal to the oatmeal bread, buns, muffins and for dessert the date squares.

So freaking excited.....

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
We could have them delivered by UPS to a pickup center, that way we don't know the recipient's address.

I would be wary giving my address out to a bunch of conspiracy minded drunks myself.

If we do this I think it should be new brews - so it would take a month or so before they were ready to ship. We should focus on a style too.. Nixie, what's your poison?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I like your idea. We can all ship to a pickup location convenient for nixie. No address sharing required, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Get I get in on this too? Assuming the customs people have no issues with delivery down to you.

edit on 17-5-2012 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
After some delays I finally got my Imperial IPA into secondary fermentation. I'll probably leave it in there until Memorial Day. So far it smells and tastes great. It didn't turn out as hoppy as I was expecting so hopefully the dry hopping will help a little.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I am perfectly safe, lol.
i can have some people vouch for me.

But a pickup location works.

We can dole out numbers over email. numbers meaning we can assign each perosn a number, without my knowledge, and they can label their beer with it.
edit on 17-5-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I do admit that i dont like bitter or dark beers. i force down a guiness now and then for the iron.

that is why i was going to get help with different tastes, like panel.

BTW, i dont drink very much. so i have a nice clean palette.
edit on 17-5-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I bottled 2 cases of my Jalapeno IPA tonight, the rest waiting til tomorrow. It's soooo much work sanitizing everything.

I have another 5 gallons of Pyment to bottle, after that.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

You'll have to get the "others" to sample as well. I like the number system. It should go by style, so you know what you are sampling.

This is turning out to be interesting, all the planning.

Each contestant should have a description sheet shipped with their brew. Lavish it up, and see what the "judge" thinks.

I'm flexible to any rules you guys come up with.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Ohhhhhh....lupulin and capsacin?

Sounds like a marriage made in hell!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I just joined ATS and read through this thread from the beginning. Earlier there was a discussion regarding the plastic fermenting buckets. I have to side with Druid42 on this with regard to making compromises in the name of economy. Someday when I am rich, I will have better equipment but as of now I have been using these buckets for more than 15 years, (4 of 5 batches per year) and never had a contamination problem. Of course sterilization is critical but nobody ever died of spoiled beer, it just tastes bad.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PartTimeBrewer

Hi, PTB. Welcome to ATS.

I have this sneaky suspicion that I know you.

In fact, I'll talk to you later today at work. Thanks for stopping by, as I'm sure you'll have a wealth of knowledge to add to this thread.

(Btw, folks, PTB is the guy that got me started in homebrewing. It's a real pleasure to welcome him aboard!)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PartTimeBrewer
I just joined ATS and read through this thread from the beginning. Earlier there was a discussion regarding the plastic fermenting buckets. I have to side with Druid42 on this with regard to making compromises in the name of economy. Someday when I am rich, I will have better equipment but as of now I have been using these buckets for more than 15 years, (4 of 5 batches per year) and never had a contamination problem. Of course sterilization is critical but nobody ever died of spoiled beer, it just tastes bad.

Yeah, if you do it then by all means..

6 gallon carboys can be found with free shipping for $29 (check amazon). A stopper and airlock are only like, $2. The problem doesn't occur AFTER you've made alcohol, what can happen is bacteria infect the unsurfaced part of the bucket and take over before your yeast have a chance to take hold. It gives you off flavors and occasionally worse.

However, if you've been brewing in spigoted buckets for 15 years, you probably are right. It's just that every book I have read, and LHBS employee and homebrewer I know, are totally against fermenting in spigoted buckets because, well, bacteria and even leakage/ unwanted aeration. I've always used glass and stainless, so I don't personally know.

Nothing beats a conical and a good SS racking cane, but I realize these are expensive. A 6 gallon carboy and a plastic racking cane are cheap. Check amazon and midwest. =]

So anyway, let's decide on a style for this beer taste!

Here is a a honey hefeweisen I bottled in January, this was the first one cracked open for consumption.

i.imgur.com...

And it had GREAT head retention, but when I realized my phone camera sucked I ran inside to get my real camera, and had lost a little head by the time I got back outside.

It's a Bavarian Hefeweizen, it's supposed to be cloudy. That's called suspended Weihenstephen!

edit on 21-5-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

nixie, what is a commercial beer you enjoy? Perhaps we could aim for something similar..

Try not to pick a lager - lagering requires special equipment and long fermentation times. Ales and wheat beers and hefe's are easy though.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Oh, sorry for the triple post - but after our taste test or even at the same time, we should exchange a 6 pack with one another..

We could throw together a sampler, but should definitely include the beer we send to nixie so we can know what we're up against.

I'm getting excited about this, I'd love to brew this weekend if that's not too early for everyone. =D

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

Get I get in on this too? Assuming the customs people have no issues with delivery down to you.

edit on 17-5-2012 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

Cannot ship beer over international borders, unfortunately. Which sucks, because I would love to make beer pen pals with people from far away lands.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

we should exchange a 6 pack with one another..

I like the idea of an ATS brew xchange as well. (I just finished bottling 10 gallons, 106 bottles.) All my labels list the crafted on date, so I'm set to ship since they have to bottle condition a bit anyway. Up for tasting is my Jalapeno IPA, and a Pyment.

I'm sure PartTimeBrewer would be interested as well. Let's get a consensus to make sure.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Not so sure myself of such an exchange. Have you figured out address issues yet? For me it will be a while before I have anything to exchange. Right at the moment, I don't have anything in bottles that is even 3 weeks old yet (kegs are so much easier). Normally I let things age, depending on style, 1.5 to 2 months before I get into it. I don't have a lot of confidence in the batch I have either; sometimes the stuff I brew on AHA homebrew day is, shall we say, less than the craft at its best. I started with the idea of making a honey brown ale and then decided to clear out some grains left over from other recent brews, so now it is a roasted, chocolate, very dark, honey brown ale. I doubt if BJCP has a category for that but that never bothered me - I will have no trouble consuming it.

Has anybody ever tried one of those short-cut cherry kriek clone recipes? There is no way I have the patience to try a true lambic but am curious how the clone recipes work out.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join