It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything Homebrew!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

Rum spiked Horchata

I will try this! That sounds so delicious even without alcohol.

Thanks for the recipes. Keep em coming.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Ask me what I did the moment I finished writing out the recipe.
Yup.
It's cooling now.......
^_^

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Italian Brandied Cherries .

Ok ,I had to go look at recipes,as the aunt who made these,has passed.
As far as I remember . She just filled a jar with fresh cherries ,filled the jar to the top,covering the cherries,with brandy ,and then it had to sit two months.
They never refrigerated them ,and the lasted forever.

They didn't pit or stem them . It was fun to pick them out by the stems ,and eat around the pit.
One of these would knock you are your butt .

Since I cannot recall the recipe exactly ,I did like Spock ,and went in search of .

They are worth it . I may have to make them now that this memory has been tweaked.
This would be the closest to my families recipe

Ingredients :
2 cups sugar
4 cups brandy
2 lbs. fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted

1. Dissolve sugar in brandy in a sterilized 2–3-quart glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add cherries. Cover jar and allow cherries to macerate in the refrigerator for 6 weeks. To serve, pour some of the brandy into a small glass and add a few cherries. Cherries will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 year.

I also found these .
italianfood.about.com...

www.nytimes.com...

There is a similar recipe for Japanese green plums . They are called Ume.
You basically fill a jar up with raw ume,and cover with the shochu of your choice.
Shochu is a japanese type of vodka.
It can be made from numerous things.
Potato,sweet potato,rice,sugar.

My favorite shochu is made from black cane sugars.

A friend of mine in Tokyo had an Ume tree. Every summer she would pick bunches and make jars of this .
I probably would add some sugar to that .
There is an alcohol made this way ,called ume shu .
The bottles of it come with a few plums at the bottom .
Eat one of those plums ,woooo....
A brand of this alcohol with the plums,is sold here. I believe its called Choya . Let me find a link .

www.choya.com...

I make a Japanese cocktail called Ume shu sour with it. They are my favorite . I prefer Japanese alcohol over others .
I like shochu basically .
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Years ago I bought two large jars or maraschino cherries and used to use the juice in my cocktails.
When the juice ran down, I just topped it off with whiskey. Over the next few years I would continue topping off the jar and transferring the juice to a new jar of cherries when the old ones were gone. They became the hit of many a party. Liquor 'pickled' cherries went into everything from cherry bread to glaze topping for ham. Mostly they were just eaten out of the jars.

Good memories there....

Now fresh cherries in a jar was introduced to me by my wife's family. Kirschwasser (cherry water) was the drink that came out at family get togethers. It was potent stuff. I've never made it, but my whiskey cherries were a distant cousin I bet.

Wow, thanks for reminding me of this.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Up here in ND there is a lot of bee keeping that goes on in the summer and we get a lot of honey. Last fall we got about 3 gallons of good honey, some royal jelly and combs, and an almost full 5 gallon bucket of what the bee keeper calls "soup". It's a really thin form of honey that has the viscosity of a motor oil and he doesn't sell it so he gives it to us along with the good honey, combs, and royal jelly for letting him put his hives on our land.

The "soup" isn't really much good for eating as regular honey so we use it for sweetener for tea and such but it also makes a great base for starting meade.

If I had to buy the honey to make my meade with I would go without meade and just make twice as much wine because of the high price of honey now a days.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

That's one reason mead makers are rare. The price of honey.

We raise our own honey, and just caught a new swarm. Shameless crosslinked thread!

Up to 7 hives now.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Saw this and thought of you guys .

scoutmob.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join