It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything Homebrew!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
Interesting. I have to wonder which hops gave you the citrus flavor.
I told my brew partner about it and may have to sample our version sooner to report our findings. haha

EKG has a good citrus feel to it. Was it that?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Here's a Amber Boch that I made a few months ago. It's a extract brew (still getting up the nerve to try and do full grain). Was a big hit with several of my family members.

Grains to steep: 1/2 lb Crystal Malt 120L, 1/2 lb Munich 40L, 1/4 lb Victory
6 lbs Dry Amber Malt Extract
2 ounces Saaz Hops pellets
1 teaspoon Irish moss
Wyeast 1056

Hops schedule was 1 1/2 ounce 60 minutes of the boil, and 1/2 ounce the last 15 minutes (along with the Irish Moss).

When ready to bottle I primed it with about 3/4 cups of corn sugar.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
We are having a Brew-Night Friday the 3rd and all are welcome. Bring your spouse and snacks (optional), the beer is on tap and I'm sure there'll be wine for the ladies.

If you live in the Ottawa Ontario Canada area U2U me and I will give the address and timings.

See you then,

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
awwww....wish I could, but I live way too far away.
Brewing is such a fun night. Just remember, it takes beer to make beer!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

So, so true. The taps will be flowing during the brew process of course.

edit on 2-8-2012 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

So, so true. The taps will be flowing during the brew process of course.

edit on 2-8-2012 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

Postpone till next week. Drats!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

We extracted 91 pounds of honey for our summer harvest. I have 45 pounds as my share. Time to brew some meade! I've made a Pyment and a Cyser so far.

Ever try brewing meade? If so, got a Canadian recipe to try?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Mead has always been one of the things I have wanted to try. Although I haven't so far, I do have some friends who brew mead every year. I'll Ask them if they mind sharing the recipe.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

K, thanks, and much appreciated!

Prolly do a batch this weekend.....

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Just started my new batch. This one is a pumpkin ale.

9 lb. Light DME
1 lb. Victory
.75 lb. Caramel 80L
1 Can Libby's Pumpkin

.75 lb. Turbinado Sugar (Hot Break)
.25 lb. Light Brown Sugar (Hot Break)

.75 oz Magnum (60 min)
1 Can Libby's Pumpkin (30 min)
.25 oz Sterling (15 min)
.5 lb Lactose (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
3 Cinnamon Sticks (5 min)
.5 tsp Allspice (5 min)
.5 tsp Whole Cloves (5 min)
.5 tsp Nutmeg (5 min)
2 tbsp Minced Candied Ginger (5 min)

Wyeast Labs #1056 American Ale

1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Secondary)
2 Vanilla Beans (Secondary)

OG: 1.082

The pumpkin was first baked at 350 for 45 minutes. It was then taken out, mixed a little, and coated with honey. It was then baked for another 45 minutes at 350. It was not added directly to the wort. Half was steeped in the same grain bag as the specialty hops. The other half was steeped during boil in another grain bag.

The vanilla beans were first cut open. The innards were then scraped into a jar. The husks were then minced and added to the jar. Vodka was then added until the beans were covered. This will sit for the next two weeks at which point the whole concoction will be added to the secondary fermenter.

Already at this point there is a distinct pumpkin taste. I will say though that unless I get a better knife I am never using vanilla beans again.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well now, pumpkin brew sounds really nice. I wouldn't mind being the taste tester for that batch.
We'll be doing the chocolate cherry stout as soon as we free up a keg or two. This weekend we are having an end of summer bash to kill off some kegs. Oh the sacrifices.

I'm in the market for a rootbeer recipe if the masterminds here have one. I've been promising my boys a batch but the yeast recipe I used was awful. I'll carbonate it with CO2. I've asked before but figured I'd ask again.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Never been able to get into pumpkin ales. I tried making a batch and it just didn't taste right to me. Had to give it away.
I thought maybe I had screwed it up, but my brother in law went nuts over it and said it was one of the best pumpkin ales that he'd had and assured me I'd done it right.

Mead: I've made a few, but not too many. Can't afford the dang honey!

When I can, I'm going to make another Killian's Red clone. Last year the batched I made skunked. Had to pour out the whole 5 gallons of it. Turns out I didn't get my carboy sanitized all the way, and while it was in secondary, we left for a trip, came back and I had a mold culture growing on the surface of it. Oh was I mad:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Saddest thing to have a contaminated batch!
I contaminated a mead and a peach mash that was supposed to become peach brandy.
Sad indeed.

I think that if the pumpkin beer was a seasonal thing, I'd enjoy it, but five gallons would be a challenge.
Maybe bottle it and gift them out to fellow brewers......

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I'm in the market for a rootbeer recipe if the masterminds here have one. I've been promising my boys a batch but the yeast recipe I used was awful. I'll carbonate it with CO2. I've asked before but figured I'd ask again. signature:

If it's for the boys, THIS recipe should get you to do an interactive session with your kids, and four days later, enjoy. Save up your two liter bottles!

As far as alcohol content goes, this technique yields .35 to .5 percent ABV. Your kids would have to drink one and a half gallons of this recipe to get the effect of one 12oz. beer. That ain't happening.

But, with kids, it's a perfect introduction to brewing. (OMG, what are we teaching them?)

Nah, they just think it's cool to make Root Beer. They already know you drink.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Oh man that was the actual recipe I originally tried. The yeast flavor was too overwhelming to enjoy the soda.
The kids wanted one without the yeast. I guess I could try combining the extract, sugar and tonic water together and tweak the amounts until I strike the right ratios.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Homebrew Talk seems to have a number of root beer recipes. Maybe you can find something there. Having never even looked into how to do a root beer I can't really recommend a good recipe.

Homebrew Talk: Root Beer

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I made a root beer using nothing more than water, sugar, root beer extract and yeast in a 2 liter plastic bottle. Shaken up and let sit for 3 days until the bottle get's hard.

Didn't taste too bad from products all purchased at the grocery store.

However, I think there are more complex recepies out there that don't rely on extracts.

I keep meaning to get around to making a home made Cream Soda (always was my favorite), but I keep forgetting to get around to it.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I had no idea that this thread even existed! Thanks for pointing it out to me, will be contributing soon. Have an IPA recipe that I put together that is a hit with the IPA loving crowd in my neighborhood. Will post it here for others to try.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
welcome aboard...we enjoy many brews and love to share recipes.
we are always testing and tasting. please feel free to share.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Thanks for stopping by, and recipes are welcomed. There have been a few posted that I am interested in trying.

How long have you homebrewing? Just curious.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join