It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol destroys brain cells vs. exams at 16-24

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
So as we all know alcohol is bad for you right?

It destroys yours brains thinking power and makes you addicted and oblivious to your environment.

www.wctu.org...

* ON THE BRAIN The organ most sensitive to alcohol is the brain. Alcohol affects the entire body, but its effects on the functions of the brain are the most noticeable —and to the person who is drinking, the most important. People drink alcohol because of the way it makes them feel, ignoring the damaging effects on the brain itself.

The brain reacts to alcohol in stages.

The first portion of the brain to be affected is the cerebrum — the outermost layer, which is responsible for controlling the senses, speech, understanding, and judgment. Alcohol depresses first the parts of the brain that normally inhibit or control actions and emotions. It appears as if alcohol —although it is a depressant —is acting as a stimulant because, as these higher centers of the brain are knocked out. the drinker feels liberated from moral and legal restrictions. The loss of these restraints can cause exhilaration and loss of inhibitions. The alcohol continues to depress brain functions, resulting in slurred speech, unsteady walk, blurry vision, and loss of co-ordination.

Drinkers often feel that their manual skills have been improved because their judgment has been impaired, while in reality their reaction times are slowed and their muscle coordination is less efficient. Next. the drinker experiences various exaggerations of the emotions that can range from violence and aggressiveness to tearfulness and withdrawal. If a person continues to drink, the body protects itself from further damage by falling asleep or "passing out". Alcohol destroys brain cells which, unlike the blood cells it also destroys, are irreplaceable. Alcohol deteriorates the memory as well as the ability to learn new things.

This is allowed and heavily taxed of which barley any goes into fixing its problems or its popularity.

Now i ask you this, if we cant drink alcohol till we are 18/21 (UK/USA) and all our lives based on your exam results at those ages but then are introduced to alcohol, is it not likely at 25, 30, 35+ we performs CONSIDERABLY below these tested levels and even our experience since work, depleted.

Seems like an odd system to allow a basis for life performance since basically everything changes the first few years into your career if you are lucky enough to have one.

What do you think?

EDIT: i should add that the end diploma is a combined exam result with a bias to their forte, for example "High pass, science"

edit on 16-4-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
what if a trail like the experiment in Holland with road signs www.dw.de... could work in education in the first stages (6-16/18 years of age) where they are just taught only the teachers knowing the results and who needs more help.

Perhaps they might respond positively in a non-competitive manor for the better, being reassured its good for them, their family and country.

Just a thought

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Lol I agree, I'm sick of being patronised by the older generations that think they have more brain power than me, when they clearly don't
I demand they have to take refresher exams every 5 years and see how far they get. Mind you I'll be joining the club in the next ten years, in the last 2 years I musta killed half my cells lmao. ATS is my daily brain excersise

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I subject? I fine am you thank! Now what was we talkin about/

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Probably 75% of everyone participating on this website has an alcoholic beverage in their hand. What kind of response were u looking for with this thread? O.K. now Im ready for all the holier than thous, bring it!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Alcohol destroys brain cells?
Only the weak ones! It's an internal evolutionary process.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
We are stupid, cause we are
I am not smarter than a 5th grader and I do not drink. Maybe I need more B vits.

REALLY? The Claim: Alcohol Kills Brain Cells By ANAHAD O'CONNOR Published: November 23, 2004 HE FACTS When ancient Greeks wanted to reassure guests that their wine had not been spiked with poison, they toasted to good health. While that may be less of a worry today, there remain hazards from indulging in too much alcohol - including, of course, hangovers. But one thing people who drink socially probably don't need to worry about is sacrificing brain cells in the process. Advertisement The research indicates that adults who drink in moderation are not in danger of losing brain cells. The notion that alcohol snuffs out brain cells has been around for years. Many studies have linked drinking with mental deficits, and long-term damage from years of heavy drinking has been well documented. The developing brain is particularly vulnerable, some studies show, putting teenagers and unborn children at greatest risk. But Dr. Roberta J. Pentney, a former researcher at the State University of New York at Buffalo, found that alcohol disrupts brain function in adults by damaging message-carrying dendrites on neurons in the cerebellum, a structure involved in learning and motor coordination. This reduces communication between neurons, alters their structure and causes some of the impairment associated with intoxication. It does not kill off entire cells, however. A study in 1999 that examined the brains of alcoholics appeared to confirm this. Published in the journal Neuroscience, the research found that subjects who developed Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, a severe disorder that ravages the memory and stems from a thiamine deficiency associated with alcoholism, had a marked reduction in cell density in the cerebellum. But there was little difference between alcoholics who did not develop the syndrome and normal subjects, suggesting that it was largely a lack of thiamine in the Wernicke-Korsakoff patients that killed off their cells. Other studies, including one published in The British Medical Journal in 1997, have produced similar findings. THE BOTTOM LINE Alcohol may not kill brain cells per se, but it can impair brain function, among other things.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Anything can be dangerous to you in large, excessive amounts. Perhaps this would matter if one drank every single day but every now and then probably won't hurt. I drink every now and then and I have never 'lost control' of anything. I can still think before I act or say something, I always remember everything that happened, I've never had emotional changes or swings while drinking, I've never let myself pass out of anything. I still function fine.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xBlueButterflyx

Could you pass your school exams today with the same grades?

Point being we have many factors that make us more stupid (yes its extreme only in large doses for a long time) yet our lives are based off the grades we got when we were 16-18, why couldnt we be retested, that would make people not only maintain their education but try to imporve.

That was my overall point, i was using alcohol as an example of one way we loose our intelligence (or gain) yet are bound by what we did when we were 16.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Why are you equating school exams with intelligence

I could probably do much better than I did when in school, as I'm much more conscientious at 29, than I was at 16.

Back then I was barely at class, refused to do my homework, and made pretty good grades on the "exams" which were a joke.

If I had the opportunity to re do high school/ college exams with a clean slate ?? I'd be sure to ace all the material, do all the homework, and be in the top 1%, just so that I could get into a top college with a paid scholarship, go through the same hoops in college, and have a higher social status.

Exams have little to do with real world intelligence.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I wouldn't know that since school is way in the past and I have full-time job. I do have to take tests to keep up with my certification and I still pass with high grades so I would assume yes. All it takes is reading up on things and activating your mind to keep it working....building new neuron connections and synapses. Drinking hasn't affected me, I don't even do it enough in order for it too.

top topics

join