It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fracking 'should resume with checks' says UK government expert panel.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hey all, here is the link hopefully, www.bbc.co.uk...

Here is a little sample of what they had to say.

"[Cuadrilla's experts] said there was a very low probability of other earthquakes during future treatments of other wells," said Peter Styles from Keele University. "We agree that [last year's] events are attributable to the existence of an adjacent geological fault that had not been identified. "There might be other comparable faults, (and) we believe it's not possible to categorically reject the possibility of further quakes." Such events might well be felt at the surface but are extremely unlikely to be significant.

"Even with real-time monitoring, there will be a time lag between what we've put into the ground and what we get back out in the form of earthquakes." Operators should also minimise quakes by allowing the fracking liquid to flow back up the well soon after injection, the panel says, rather than keeping the rock under prolonged pressure.

I think its something to keep an eye on when they resume.

Peace
edit on 16/4/12 by Obsidian303 because: Missed the N out of Government!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsidian303

Trap door hell I remember that, loved it, you can be my friend just for your avatar lol.

Anyway in light of the recent findings from America in regards to fracking, I feel that we need to put a stop to it, the last I heard was that they were to be attempting to get shale gas from a site near Blackpool, perhaps I should inform those who apose?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Just read that myself on Sky News, I was born in Blackpool and as much as I'd like to see that hellhole crumble fracking aint the way to do it (joking obviously, well, about the crumbling part anyway). Not sure whether I should be worried or not, fracking doesn't sound pleasant (for lack of a better word) but I'm still reading up on it so I'll reserve judgement for now. If anyone wants to save me the hassle of researching feel free

chocky

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I was listening to the news this morning, and they were saying that it's been proven that fracking causes earthquakes.
I don't understand why we would need to potentially weaken the ground below us for the sake of some gas that isn't going to last forever.
Only last week there was a small earthquake off the coast of my hometown. How often do we get earthquakes in the UK? Barely ever! Who's going to pay the insurance for any damage caused by earthquakes? Would insurers not cover people for earthquake damage as it is a 'natural disaster'? How does that change if the earthquakes are caused by fracking?
Put the money into creating more renewable energy, help more home get solar panels, the wind and the sea are infinite resources for power, we don't need to go pumping over 600 chemicals into the ground to get to some gas which won't last forever.
And how many of those gases are poisonous? If they reach the water table, is our water contaminated? Will we be able to drink it? What effect would they have on someone?
These are questions I want answered before I would ever be ok with it, and that's not to say that I would even agree with the answers I got!

top topics

join