It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the 'The Lying Slut' .............. Britains Toughest Pub!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Now here's an insight into the darker side of Britain.....Far away from many peoples typical perception of English Country Life.

A pub branded Britain's roughest boozer has been shut down by police who admit that even a gun-slinging cowboy like John Wayne would fail to control its drunken drug-taking punters.

The Flying Shuttle in Bolton was so bad that it took 13 officers to close it in a raid, who said afterwards 'we still didn't feel safe in that pub.'

It was closed because of regular lock-ins and drug dealing but it appears that the decision has caused more problems for long-suffering neighbours.

In February police had popped in to sort trouble there and found that drinkers were still being served at 2.45am, all because the bar staff were too frightened to call last orders. 'We took 13 officers with us and we still did not feel safe in that pub. Customers were very drunk and aggressive.

In fact the customers were so outraged by the action of the Police closing doen the pub, they decided that arson was the best policy.

In the first week there were three fires followed by one night of chaos where there were an astonishing eight blazes in the area. Nearby houses were raided for garden furniture and wheelie bins, which were then torched. Around 20 people, aged between 15 and 40 were behind the fires, and three have been arrested on suspicion of arson. The fire service have since handed out fliers to 200 homes around the pub while police have added extra patrols of the area.

Sourc e Daily Mail

edit on 16-4-2012 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Apr 21 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The title suggests that this may be Britains toughest Pub but I somehow think that there may well be hundreds or even thousands of similar Pubs across the UK like this one.

Is this what society has created? I'm sure we all know places not a million miles away that are indeed considered no go areas but do other countries have similar bars with situations like these?

Living in a Public house most of my life I have seen more than my fair share of drunken brawls, fights, damage etc.
Back then bad behaviour was self governed to a degree by other customers who often stopped the fight or at least intervened.
Today though is seems like the control factor has gone and the 'Mob' for want of a better term rules.

Is this just a sign of things to come?

Do you think Britain is as broken as it is often portrayed in the media with stories like this?
edit on 16-4-2012 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

Well, I would say that at least the pub kept them off the streets. You see what happens when they get on the streets.

I know bars like that over here in my little country on the other side of the Channel.

Towards the end of the night the toilets are littered with the little empty coc aine envelops.

I´m sure the owners didn´t really mind staying open late, it´s good business.

Now here's an insight into the darker side of Britain.....Far away from many peoples typical perception of English Country Life

Actually when I think of Britain I think of pale skin, blurry, awful bulldog tattoos, hooliganism and drunk people. I´m sorry, but that´s the kind of British people I always encountered on holidays in Spain, and the guys that come over to party here in Holland, or on a hooligan exchange program.

In my day I wasn´t a saint either though. Not saying I was a hooligan, not at all but I knew some guys that were.
edit on 16-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I thought this was going to be a thread about Nancy Pelosi...

We have some of those places in the southern parts of the US that I know of. Rough and tumble and scary to even have to drive by. I suppose business owners do feel that it is indeed THEIR'S and they can do what they want. They can keep closing it/them, but more will always crop up ready to serve 20 ounces of idiocy to anyone who wants it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I don't think Britain is any more broken than anywhere else. There are dives everywhere.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I don´t like to use these terms but......ROFL.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Having spent most of my adult life in pubs for one reason or another I can honestly say that I've been in many a pub like this.

Without a doubt they can be intimidating, especially for outsiders.

But it shouldn't be forgotten that they can also be an integral part of the community and merely reflect the lack of investment from the pubco's who are hell bent on screwing as much as possible out of customers whilst giving very little back to their employees and customers etc.

It is also true to say that they also reflect the cold, harsh reality of life for many people in society toda and the lack of investment as a whole in these communities.

And finally politicians should shoulder some of the blame as Cameron continues New Labours policy of eliminating pub culture from our society.

I've had many a cracking night in pubs such as this free from any threat of intimidation and violence etc.
I suspect such nights will soon be a thing of the past for most of us.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
To be fair, at least they showed some creativity with the sign.

Seriously though - yes, we are in very steep decline as a nation (but then, most nations are too). We have been since WW2.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname

Well, I would say that at least the pub kept them off the streets. You see what happens when they get on the streets.

I know bars like that over here in my little country on the other side of the Channel.

Towards the end of the night the toilets are littered with the little empty coc aine envelops.

I´m sure the owners didn´t really mind staying open late, it´s good business.

Now here's an insight into the darker side of Britain.....Far away from many peoples typical perception of English Country Life

Actually when I think of Britain I think of pale skin, blurry, awful bulldog tattoos, hooliganism and drunk people. I´m sorry, but that´s the kind of British people I always encountered on holidays in Spain, and the guys that come over to party here in Holland, or on a hooligan exchange program.

In my day I wasn´t a saint either though.

I'm sure they will try to takeover another venue and probably will suceed but I see your point.

It's funny but your view of Brits is very much the same as my view of Brits abroad but you forgot to mention the England Football shirt to match the haircut, beer belly and excessively loud chanting.

It really is quite sad that many Brits no longer view the British Flag as a symbol of pride. It now appears to be more of a symbol of loutish behaviour, boozed up Chavs and violence.

It pains me to actually write that but it is a view shared by so many people that I know and speak to in my daily work and life.

The worst part is that I can only see things getting worse not better but perhaps that is another socio economic topic.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

We have some of those places in the southern parts of the US that I know of. Rough and tumble and scary to even have to drive by. I suppose business owners do feel that it is indeed THEIR'S and they can do what they want. They can keep closing it/them, but more will always crop up ready to serve 20 ounces of idiocy to anyone who wants it.

ROFL, that has to be the quote of the day lol

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

I don't think Britain is any more broken than anywhere else. There are dives everywhere.

Hi StealthyKat

The term "Broken Britain" is one that is regularly portrayed in the media to represent our crumbling society values which are viewed as out of control.

I agree that places like this exist all over the globe and I used to wonder if Policing was part of the equation.
British Policing is often viewed as too soft and backed by a legal system that wants to save money rather than incarcerate.
Saying that though other societies that are robustly Policed with armed officers suffer the same problems using even more violence and the fallout can often be fatal. I guess then that Policing may not have as big an impact as I thought.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

It's funny but your view of Brits is very much the same as my view of Brits abroad but you forgot to mention the England Football shirt to match the haircut, beer belly and excessively loud chanting.

Lol, jeah I did have that mental picture but I found it a bit redundant since those features are all a directly related to the features I mentioned.

But I have to say, I do consider the British my closest brethren if I have to pick any of my neighbouring countries. Always good times with the Bri-ish.

These guys I find hilarious,

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

OK....I didn't know that. We have the same sort of "decay" here (since Huricane Katrina)....our police force is lacking to say the least. So many people left after that (including much of the police force), that just about anyone who didn't have a major crime in their history could apply. Is the place you mentioned in an impoverished area? Not saying poor people are more criminal than others...... but poverty, depression, drug use, and drinking go hand in hand...and those areas are neglected more often as far as improvements. I know it was a factor here. I'm afraid that as long as there is no public rebellion, it won't change anywhere it happens though....sadly.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

You raise many good points Freeborn.

Local investment has certainly taken a turn for the worse in the UK and with the current financial situation I cannot see it changing soon.
With thousands of Pubs closing every week in the UK it does make one wonder what social impact this will have on Britains future. There are as you say many great safe and friendly pubs across the country and it is part of the British Heritage and way of life for many.

If the bads pubs do continue to close where will the clientele go?
I just hope they don't choose to visit and undermine the friendly local or more may be forced to close like the domino effect.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Fox, I think you are spot on with that statement.....not any particular country, but society as a whole is in serious decline.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hardly the roughest pub. Rough yes, but not the roughest.

There were 3 pubs not far from here, in a small village called Partington. If I recall correctly, two were judged so bad that they were closed, then torn down after they were repeatedly reopened illegally.

The third was closed, converted into a community center, closed again and again. Not sure what the status of it is now. THe building still exists, not sure if its in use for anything.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

A good and funny example lol but I do actually know people just like those two lol

Don't get me wrong there are millions of really nice and respectfull people in this country who are also very proud of who they are.
The media however tends to find reporting on Mr or Mrs average to be pretty boring though so the focus shifts to the other side of the spectrum.

In fact what really has astounded me though is the amount of young people who leave school here unable to read or write. They don't seem to care about it and have no desire to change things let alone even consider the thought of working for a living.

That is perhaps one of the biggest failures of the Country.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I think that part of Bolton does have a few economic issues and I agree with you poverty can make a huge difference to peoples behaviour.
Perhaps they feel like they have little or no prospects or hope and choose an alternate reality without choice.

It must have been so hard after katrina but I never expected the Police to leave town too. It must have been a massive challenge for the whole community.

Do you see the the former community spirit returning or has if been washed away with Katrina?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
The title suggests that this may be Britains toughest Pub but I somehow think that there may well be hundreds or even thousands of similar Pubs across the UK like this one.

Is this what society has created? I'm sure we all know places not a million miles away that are indeed considered no go areas but do other countries have similar bars with situations like these?

Dude, pubs like this have existed for as long as pubs have! It's not a sign of the times, but just part of the tapestry of British pub life. Some are nice, others are not so nice and others still are places you only go to if you know the people there.

Living in a Public house most of my life I have seen more than my fair share of drunken brawls, fights, damage etc.
Back then bad behaviour was self governed to a degree by other customers who often stopped the fight or at least intervened.
Today though is seems like the control factor has gone and the 'Mob' for want of a better term rules.

The you had one of the nicer pubs, but I have seen some right holes of pubs in the 80's that would make the one above look quite normal. I even lived across the road of one which ended in a similiar fashion to the one you posted, even as far as the locals torching it after it was closed.

Is this just a sign of things to come?

Nope, just a sign of the way things have always been.

Do you think Britain is as broken as it is often portrayed in the media with stories like this?

Certainly, there are elements of society which are indeed broken, but go back through history and you'll always see this picture. I think much of the fuss we see in the media about anything is largely down to the 24 hr, multi-channel nature of it where they must fill the airwaves with stuff that would never have made it out of the local rag 10 years ago, so it appears as if things are worse when in actual fact things are pretty much the same as they always have been.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I've had many a cracking night in pubs such as this free from any threat of intimidation and violence etc.
I suspect such nights will soon be a thing of the past for most of us.

Indeed...

I have barely visited a pub since 2007, perhaps a couple of times a year, whereas before that I was in the pub several times a week. Pub culture is dying in the UK, which is sad as they are in many places the heart of the community, especially in villages and small towns.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join