It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good without God?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Please take this response as not an argument for/against abortion, it's not my intent. My intent is to demonstrate that "good", without God, is defined by society and is always subject to change. It clearly is not God's definition, and as we watch the western nations succumb because we have unknowingly allowed others to redefine the definition of "good" for us - and they accomplished it by removing God from our Mind. This is equally true of those who profess to be Christian - hypocrisy is rampant because a "different" gospel is preached. It's not about abortion - it never is - but rather about how humanity needs God in their lives because without an unmoveable standard we will succumb to the temptations of the heart and mind. God is the same today as yesterday. Nothing has changed except us.

If we condemn anyone, we start with ourselves first. This is very true. We are all part of the problem. This is why I am eager to meet with my advocate on the day of judgment. He's the best representation a soul can have before the accuser.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyFearist22
Any reason why ppl should believe it takes a God to be good?

Quite simply, no.

But the religious would not like you or other followers of their faith to really know that, because it reduces their superiority over others.

Almost all of the major religions - the organized religions - are about dominance over others. They view themselves as something more important, they are more moral, more holy, more righteous and therefore "better" Humans than everyone else. It's an ego trip.

This is why so many dictate that others who do not live as they do will "burn in hell" or that they are a "sinner", It makes them more superior in a social environment where they are weak. They like to think that they are only true "good" people, because of their God.

It's also why they are forever trying to influence government and law. They believe that because they are "better" than everyone else they automatically have the right to dictate how the rest of society lives. They are simply dictators who use a book as an excuse to try to dominate others.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyFearist22

The bible doesn't say that people need God to do good deeds or to live honest lives. It says that every single person fails to be good enough to be worthy of heaven. That's where Jesus comes in.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Very well written and very informative. This is getting to the meat of the "good without God" topic. Let me ask you some questions :

1. You make references to the bibles 10 commandments. Most notably "thou shall not kill." Do you think that the bible, with that commandment, is the reason why ppl that have not killed yet are not killing ppl now?

2. What was going on in the millions and even billions of years before this book was written? How were early humans and pre-humans getting on without divine command not to kill?

3. Did God sit back with indifference to the cruelty and extinction and death of the evolutionary process for all those billions of years just to interject say about 2-3000 years ago and give us a book that claims "we were the apple of his eye" the whole time? If so, can you describe what is REALLY the definition of good?

4. What is the definition of evil?

5. If good is subject and can be measured as the great moral barometer "God," then it would appear that evil is on the opposite side of good. Something which an all powerful God should be aware of. So tell me then, why is it that to be good, it seems that God is the ticket. But when in the case of evil, its purely human? Was God not aware of his own barometric status to which only believers in him can attain goodness?

6. The problem of evil is not one that has been solved yet, in my opinion. What can you offer other than to claim we were born sick and commanded to be well again?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Open for reasonable discussions...

what is God?

where is God?
show me god and i will answer your question

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jed001

Open for reasonable discussions...

what is God?

where is God?
show me god and i will answer your question

There doesnt need a belief in the existenve of god to sustain personal morality.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join