It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Math teachers demonstrate a bias toward white male students

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mirrormaker326

Yeah, but the thread title belies the intent of the study. He seems to have wanted to push his own agenda to kick the racial fires, as opposed to focusing on the paper which is predominantly gender oriented.

Well, I think that I understand WHY he did that... and he even alludes to it here:

The inclusion of the adjective "white" in the title seems pointlessly applied... unless "21st century journalism" and "publishing acumen" are at play in what should be a clinical and scientific treaty on the subject... (In my opinion, it's what many ATSers can come to expect from media nowadays.....)

However, I'm not altogether convinced that his inclusion was wholly without merit, because for the life of me, I cannot understand why they would display the data as a RATIO of the white male scores, unless they were deliberatly trying to show bias TOWARDS white males by the study itself.

I also found table 2 VERY interesting, since it's columns are listed as:

White Male vs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White Female Black Male Black Female Hispanic Male Hispanic Female

It *SEEMS* deliberately designed to show white males in a negative light....

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Now I see the problem.... I forgot to include the media source article I was citing... you thought I made up that title?.... no way!

It was the real reason I wanted to share it....

You're nastiness goes to the author of the article.... not me.

www.eurekalert.org...
www.educationnews.org...

here's a more respectable one I just found....

Sexism In Math Education: A Feminist Sociology Journal Finds Some
www.science20.com...

edit on 16-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Now I see the problem.... I forgot to include the media source article I was citing... you thought I made up that title.... no way!

It was the real reason I wanted to share it....

You're nastiness goes to the author of the article.... not me.

www.eurekalert.org...
www.educationnews.org...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAA

Classic.... Yes, the inclusion of that link would DEFIANTLY be something that is important to include.

lol

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Yeah... I blew it big time there.... in my defense, I did present it as if I had included it....

... the opening post is fixed now, so hopefully we're done mis-communicating ... I'll be back tomorrow, you can stick pins then.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yeah... I blew it big time there.... in my defense, I did present it as if I had included it....

Meh... happens to the best of us...

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

An apology is in order then. Mea Culpa. I really did believe that the thread title was your own, hence my obvious irritation and snide "clown" comment. I apologize, I thought your were one of "them" for a moment, and that colored my vision.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

None required.... really. I was reading your post and thought to myself... "What? did they change the title or something?"... and went back to look at it.... Nope... no change.... then I was looking over the first post and realized what I had done...

Honestly, it bothers me as much as it does you.

There's no need for that kind of editorial spin on a study like this... but then... it was the title the press release used. Which means the researchers must have had a hand in it somehow... or the University PR drone.

Considering the SWS has an explicitly 'feminist' agenda.. .I thought perhaps they are predisposed to lean this way.

Anyway.. that's behind us now.... you obviously, 'get it' so I won't belabor the point.

If anyone has any time to dig deeper - by all means have at it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Replying to this part of your post: "...Which is why in conversations between the sexes, 98% of the overtalking, and interruptions, are done by men." You have obviously never met my wife. No one has got a word on her edgewise in the 20+ years I've known her. She talks, I nod my head.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Why does everyone get so riled up about this topic. Fact. Neuroscience tells us that men and women have different structures and use their brains differently. There are certain things that women are more naturally wired for, learning languages is a prime example. Men have a natural advantage in certain areas as well, objects in space. This is not sexist it is scientiffic fact. It does not mean that women can not perform at high levels in math. It simply means most men are better wired for it than women.

Somehow race got involved too. Ridiculous. People want to take this equality stuff way too far. We are all equal but we are not the same. There are neurological structural and wiring differences between men and women and between races too. It does not mean you cant do this because you are a girl or you can not do that if you are black. It just means sexes and races have certain different physical and mental traits. Sure environment plays a role, that is how the differences happened.

Just because there are real differences does not make a race or sex superior. It does not make anyone sexist or racist for pointing them out. Of course it doesnt mean they are not racist either. It simply means the facts are what they are. So chill out with this agenda driven rubbish and embrace our differences

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

"White Privilege" is a nonsensical concept brought up by those who wish to incite racial tensions. It is also used by bitter and resentful women to dismiss the fact that men tend to excel in certain areas compared to women (as there are areas women tend to excel in more compared to men).

Why is it that any time minorities or women are shown to under-perform in certain areas, it's always the fault of the White Man? Is this because it's easier to blame some external enemy for your own shortcomings than it is to look inside and fix the issues?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Makes me curious how this has changed over the years? Most of my math teachers in school prior to College were women, in fact all but one of them. Only one male teacher up to and including High School for math, which was a man in my sophomore year of H.S..

I also recall the ladies got the best grades in math overall. But then I'm approaching retirement age and that was a different time. Oddly though that did not seem to translate to the sciences which seemed to me to be dominated by male teachers.

Different time then however. A single bread-winner could support a household then and far fewer women were preparing for the workplace by choice. I suppose it is wrong to compare then to now, so much has changed.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

It strikes me as odd as well. When i was school age (eons ago) it was the young ladies in our class who were the benchmarks of excellence in math... with a few exceptions.

But then, we weren't subject to the NEA where I was - and frankly... we may have been better off for it!

Bias is, in this academic sense, not meant to evoke the foul and repugnant sentiments people commonly associate it with around here many times... but it is nevertheless interesting that it does exist in a field of study where 1+1 must equal 2 and what gender or race you may be categorized as doesn't change that.

Soon the teachers will become the 'victims' of studies like this... I expect.

edit on 17-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I have found from personal experience, being white and manly...lol.. that this is almost true. I wouldn't say that they favor one "race" of people over the other. I think they just expect more from people who are the "entitled" members of society. I don't know if it is a regional issue, but in the NE United states there is allot of hype surrounding the emerging minorities. The teachers feel tasked with helping to level the playing field and/ or fear being seen as contributing to the socio economic factors that tend to keep minorities in less rewarding careers.

I had one particular math teacher that was brilliant and became very involved in the students understanding and application of math. He was brilliant. I had the unfortunate luck to get on his bad side ONE day and he never forgave me. He literally said I "was not worth it.". I don't know if he expected more from me or the other white males but he took that extra bit of care with the girls and the minorities.

This article struck me close to home because we actually called him out on it. He would always take his favorites out to trips to measure water towers using their shadows, make scale models of solar systems and such. We were never invited. He said we would ruin it for the rest of the class. I think we would have benefited more since we were people who would actually use the skills he taught. His favorites were just phonies that wanted good grades with no effort on their part.

Other teachers I had were similar. I guess they felt they had a mission of justice and punishment. History class was interesting since I have always enjoyed it and would actually stop a false statement or lesson if the truth was taken out of historical perspective due to the many forced perceptions the board of education wanted to drill into our heads. Math was sterile to me. I guess I just never felt engaged enough (nor did my fellow white males) to actually direct the teachers attention to our development. I really didn't care if they liked me or not.

It boiled down to the Asian kids being expected to do well and even if they lacked the necessary skills they became go to guys for solutions over white males with remarkable abilities. Girls were expected to aspire to be more than house wives and so were given special treatment even though they might be geared towards professions that were not math oriented. Blacks were not to be discriminated against with bad grades regardless of what effort the put out or their contribution to class assignments and discussions. It became very racist in a passive sort of way. I mentioned history since white kids were seen as the land barons who ruined the world with our greed and evil sense of superiority. As if a kid in the suburbs had anything to do with what the adult world did to people hundreds or thousands of years ago.

The thirst for justice and a level playing field made for a disproportionate number of talented and productive students to lose interest in subjects they were told they were not truly fit or naturally endowed to have success in. They could be passionate for math, yes passionate, and after 4 years of HS hearing the same thing they ended up wanting to go into graphic design. That or worse, they would be confused and take psychology since science and math is "just not their thing".

Sorry if I went to town here, but this really struck a chord in me. Teachers from my area were almost akin to the ones in this study. Math teachers did to some degree look more favorably on certain groups over others. I think this situation is a product of their formation. They probably had the opposite side of the spectrum growing up and felt as though they must correct what was true to them when they were in the students place.

edit on 17-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

No need to apologize. What you describe is precisely what these researchers are trying to quantify.

I don't find it to be a 'malice' thing though. I think we are just failing to give our teachers the opportunity and tools to do what they feel is right. Instead we're telling them not only 'what' to teach, but "how" to teach it. Each student is an individual... there is no all-purpose method that will get all the students up to their peak... it requires customization, and to a large degree - more than just a teacher... the students must thirst for it, the parents must nurture it, and the corporate government definitely needs to stay out of it.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It is really not nonsensical at all

www.loc.gov...

In the "doll test," psychologists Kenneth and Mamie Clark used four plastic, diaper-clad dolls, identical except for color. They showed the dolls to black children between the ages of three and seven and asked them questions to determine racial perception and preference. Almost all of the children readily identified the race of the dolls. However, when asked which they preferred, the majority selected the white doll and attributed positive characteristics to it. The Clarks also gave the children outline drawings of a boy and girl and asked them to color the figures the same color as themselves. Many of the children with dark complexions colored the figures with a white or yellow crayon. The Clarks concluded that "prejudice, discrimination, and segregation" caused black children to develop a sense of inferiority and self-hatred.

edit on 19-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Can you please explain what that study has to do with the idea of white privilege?

edit on 19/4/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join