It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I lost my job!! (video docu.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

SYNOPSIS: I Lost My Job is a short documentary film which sets out to explore the phenomenon which is affecting, and due to affect, many people's lives - namely, technological unemployment. The documentary also examines what we can do about it as a society through the analysis of a transitional direction.

Particular questions need to be raised about this subject. What are the social consequences of ongoing technological unemployment within our current economic system? How do we handle such a situation when this process is inevitable with the ongoing emergence of machine automation and new technologies taking over repetitive jobs?

37 minute video of how technology is replacing humans in the work place.

I am still watching it and am about 10 minutes into the video itself.
Just what will we all do if we are ALL replaced by machines? Where is humanity going with this? It reminds me of mega city 1 from the 2000AD comic where everyone is unemployed due to a very similar situation..

edit on 16-4-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You know the BIG loser here? China. Robots are cheaper than the labor in China. That means that manufacturing will return here, but be done by robots. Now, what do you do with half a billion unemployed Chinese? It's going to be a powder keg over there. China's "emerging prosperity" may be very short lived.

Those of you interested in this issue in context may want to read Abundance; the future is better than you think. The title sounds optimistic, but the contents shows that life will be bumpy as all this settles out, like the old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."
edit on 4/16/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

For every job lost to new technologies, new jobs are created. The problem, as I see it, is not new technologies taking jobs away from people but rather it is peoples ability to learn the new skills necessary to find other employment and the ability of society to make the education necessary to learn these new skills affordable and accessible.

The internet is already making such things possible. It will be a rocky road as people learn to adapt to the new reality of not working one job for the majority of your life but rather gaining new skills and adapting to the needs of the job market.

The world is changing faster now then ever before. People will also have to change faster. Just my thoughts.
edit on 16-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

join