It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Excellent Letter to the Editor: The War on (Blank)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I’m guessing it is safe to assume that many on ATS enjoy reading the Opinion pages in the newspaper. I’m also going to guess that many have at one time or another read a Letter to the Editor that just made you think “Right On!”

This is one such letter. It appeared in the April 14th edition of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune. Its one reader’s thoughts about the War on (anything you want to insert) and how the government approaches these various wars.

Please give it a read and let me know what you think.

America's jails
Let's take a new tack in tackling war on crime

When our federal government declares "a war on drugs, terror, WMDs in Iraq or fill-in-the-blank, we are doomed to spend unlimited funds, for an unlimited time, attacking ill-defined problems with very little accountability or real benefit" ("America, the jailing nation -- with little to show for it," April 8).

This is not sustainable. Instead, our president and Congress should:
• Define the problem precisely.
• Define specific solutions to the problem with desired outcomes.
• Identify optimal means to achieve those solutions -- least cost for maximum benefit.
• Evaluate results against goals at set deadlines.
• Make appropriate adjustments to the strategies and tactics used to achieve the desired outcomes.
• Establish clear limits in resources and time to achieve the desired outcomes or cancel the efforts completely.

JERRY KEMP, LONG LAKE, MINN.

Letters to the Editor - Minneapolis Star Tribune April 14th

Here is the link to the story that inspired Mr. Kemp to write in:

America, the jailing nation

I wish our government would pay heed to this person’s advice. Though I’m sure it won’t.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Each one of those steps would require a committee. Then of course the real committee would appoint sub committees to avoid actually doing their job. To top it off then some bureaucrats to form an over site committee! Wow I think the cost just got much greater with the end result the same.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
First and foremost, a government's war on anything is just a guise for a war on the people.

All of those suggestions do not support their ends, which are control and acceptance of that control. If they can keep the violence high, the dependance growing, and the truth constantly befuddled, they win.

War on Drugs= control of black market trade
War on Poverty= control of entire sections of the population by dependance
War on Terrorism= control of information and the defining of certain subgroups as dangerous

new topics

join