It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Let's take a new tack in tackling war on crime
When our federal government declares "a war on drugs, terror, WMDs in Iraq or fill-in-the-blank, we are doomed to spend unlimited funds, for an unlimited time, attacking ill-defined problems with very little accountability or real benefit" ("America, the jailing nation -- with little to show for it," April 8).
This is not sustainable. Instead, our president and Congress should:
• Define the problem precisely.
• Define specific solutions to the problem with desired outcomes.
• Identify optimal means to achieve those solutions -- least cost for maximum benefit.
• Evaluate results against goals at set deadlines.
• Make appropriate adjustments to the strategies and tactics used to achieve the desired outcomes.
• Establish clear limits in resources and time to achieve the desired outcomes or cancel the efforts completely.
JERRY KEMP, LONG LAKE, MINN.