It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbols - An Experiment.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

photographs usually invoke feelings, as you've exclaimed yourself...

symbolism in my opinion attempts to convey a message?

the deeper meaning in the lyrics to that particular Rush album reveals the arts meaning.

-----------

Rock and Metal album art are some of the best... from laymen that is

edit on 16-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
this particular image to me invokes the all seeing eye...

others see it as...

3.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Good Topic OP

Everything that exists is a symbol of what it is - yet the meaning of what it is is open to personal interpretation

Say a humble Spring flower such as a daisy is a daisy - Yet what we understand of daisy has many aspects.

Daisy = Spring
Daisy = Woman known by that name
Daisy = The botanical knowledge of it
Daisy = Symbol of life - It starts as a seed and grows roots in the Earth and is fed and watered by nature.
Growing a stem that breaks into the dimension of air - seeking the Sun etc

So everything is a symbol of what it is

But say I form a Daisy cult that practices evil intent or good intent by stealth in the public arena.
My cults symbol is the daisy and I can teach my followers whatever I wish and twist truth and they would recognize my doctrine in the symbol of a Daisy.
So symbols can be representative of cults or groups such as Yours Op for example- It is Masonic and is interpreted in different ways.

My avatar is of Thoth the scribe yet can be interpreted in many ways and is

I find it ironic that say the symbol of Isis is seen as evil and Satanic when my interpretation is quite the opposite

edit on 16-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

This is PRECISELY right and it's the exact reason that mystery schools guard themselves against those who would misuse the revealed knowledge.

Seekers are desperate to find a sense of belonging. They feel out of place in society and want to be part of a support structure that gives them well-being and safety.

Any charismatic person of average intelligence could create a cult that appeals to people using the principles taught in esoteric settings. As is seen SO OFTEN on ATS people are like sheep and want to be led.

Just like enlightenment the ego is destroyed, the defenses are lowered. But instead of opening themselves to universal consciousness they are manipulated into believing that their cult is the only way, and the most important way to happiness.

Stripped of ego and willpower, united in a common goal and led by charismatic lies people can be manipulated to do horrible things... mass suicide, suicide bombings, martyring themselves.

This is a long road. I feel like I'm standing at the bottom of the mountain looking up at the path. It's narrow and dangerous and scary. I think the best decision is just to take one step up the mountain at a time.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by emsed1

photographs usually invoke feelings, as you've exclaimed yourself...

symbolism in my opinion attempts to convey a message?

the deeper meaning in the lyrics to that particular Rush album reveals the arts meaning.

-----------

Rock and Metal album art are some of the best... from laymen that is

edit on 16-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

That's right! I can't remember all the songs on Bat Out of Hell, but when I hear one I think of the picture on the album cover. Good point

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I see where the eye of Ra or Thoth could be seen there. To someone else it may be the fish that reminds them of Christ, or the one that reminds them of Darwin.

To me it reminds me of lunch. I'm eating a delicious chipotle fish taco right now!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
Part 2

Why do you suppose the second picture creates such a powerful impact for a lot of us?

The words we draw to record are also comprised of symbols. The ⒶⓁⓅⒽⒶ ⒷⒺⓉ , I'm willing to wager, is full of symbols, too. And in those words the future is or was... as·cer·tain·able

What happens when someone opens up a can of whoop ass?
Doesn't it mean no holds barred unadulterated WAR?

But to open up that can of whoop ass we first have to take off the LID, right?

Now if we add (+) a RADE where people come in and do what people do during rades....

And it is SEEN ACROSS the entire planet of EARTH, formerly known as UR in many ancient languages....

War lid add rade seen across earth
Wor lid + rade seen + Ur
Wor ld + rade ceen + ur
World +rade cen + ur
World +rade cen+ur
World +rade cen+er

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

oh Meatloaf?

yeah man that was before my time...

I'll leave you to your topic

you can bust the symbolism out on me anytime though

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Funnily enough your mention of Mountain conjured Dante's Divine Comedy in my mind.
After being shown Hell by Virgil-
Virgil then guides Dante up Mount Purgatory and they finally arrive at it's summit or plateau -
Crossing the narrow river of forgetfulness Dante finds himself in Earthly Paradise where Beatrice appears -

Dante is humbled there but also over joyed to see the love of his Earthly life. Yet when Dante turns to speak to Virgil - Virgil is gone - Beatrice then guides Dante through the solar system and up through the stars to the realms closest to the source - and ultimately the source of which he but glimpses

......."High fantasy lost power and here broke off;
Yet as a wheel moves smoothly, free of jars,
My will and my desire were turned by love,
The love that moves the Sun and the other stars.

Sorry to ramble but Dante uses Symbols to convey meaning -

This book was so brilliant, that though a Christian he was deemed a Heretic, and exiled on pain of death from his native Florence by the Holy Mother Church.
Yes symbols are powerful for sure

edit on 16-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

I am working on my flaming eye avatar to fit inside that symbol.

I think it'll rock but I am dealing in plagiarized images so I have a friend who loves to draw realizing my vision for me.

enjoy that spicy taco man...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
But looking at pictures of the towers will, in future generations that have not witnessed the event personally but only know it from movies, never create the same reaction as it does in our generation.
Which is exactly the point of the OP:

Symbolical meaning is different for each person.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

AHA! I'd been looking for a quote that helped sum up what I was saying and then I remembered it was your signature:

“Now that I possess the secret, I could tell it a hundred different and even contradictory ways. I don’t know how to tell you this, but the secret is beautiful, and science, our science, seems mere frivolity to me now. And anyway, the secret is not as important as the paths that led me to it. Each person has to walk those paths himself.” — Jorge Luis Borges, “The Ethnographer”

And THAT is the gist of allegory and symbolical teachings.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gasc54
watch the De Vinci codes!

Read the books they are way better than
the movies.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Symbols are vibrational, affecting things at subtle levels. They are also holographic, which is why they can mean different things to different people-because each is simply perceiving a different aspect.

Here's the symbol of the christian fish

Here's the flower of life

Here's the Christian Fish in the Flower of Life along with the Jewish Tree of Life.

Many Christian's, knowing little to nothing about sacred geometry miss that aspect of their identifying fish. (in addition, Jesus lived in the age of Pisces)

Symbols have many layers.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

Lots of neat symbols come from the flower of life. The flower itself is a perfect representation of the golden ratio.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Ah -The wonders produced by the best ever geometric tool - The compass.
As a child compass in hand I could spend many a happy hour producing wonderful images and still do
Incorporated with the Fibonacci series of relationships and intuitive thinking regarding Time IE movement and expansion from the dynamics of a circle or point I can conjure the Universe
Happy Days

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The flower of life is everywhere and can certainly be a lot of fun to experiment with.

A great symbol which carries so much information about Sacred Geometry and it's use in architecture.

edit on 21/4/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the beautiful examples.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by emsed1

Great post. Although, I think you just gave all the Mason haters even more ammunition to attack our symbolism with! Now it will be brainwashing.

Not so my Friend... Just last night, I heard a remark from a woman who was not in my sight. She said: "Shut Up!"
Very ferociously too I might add. I felt as if it were meant and directed towards me. But I felt no wrong was in it.
Instead I replied in my thoughts: "That's Great Advice!"
So no grudge whatsoever did I hold.
Now t'day... I read Emsed's post and it just adds to the mystery of last night and takes me to another realm wherein I am the initiate and my purpose is to deal silently my affiars and seldom utter their consequences on/in my life.

Emsed just taught me something I never really did understand til now. So... In the future I will consider this day and last night as a lesson which teaches me to be silent.
However, Emsed is not giving advice. Insterad what he says is just absolute truth.

I'll stick with:
The Sword seen on the "American Cancer Society" logo...
The Rod of Asclepeus...
The Caduceus...

Those symbols are to me what emsed just explained. But instead of telling people what they mean to me as if they mean the same to them... I'll just keep it to myself...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinocchio

Silence is the most difficult lesson to me. All the esoteric books I've read say the less one says the more one learns.

It's a discipline I'd like to practice. If I can shut up long enough.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Symbols do have meanings that are universally intended by their creator
There are many aspects or facets to them making it folly for any (Even the creator) to say they fully understand
Though one can understand in essence.
edit on 21-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2012 by artistpoet because: add

edit on 21-4-2012 by artistpoet because: bad typing day

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join