It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy Begins Its Death In Michigan – Rachel Maddow's Exposé (VIDEO)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

The fact that someone who has never worked a day in their life, is barely literate, and can't even name the three branches of government vote counts as much as the MD in the local town with a decade of schooling, running a business, and practicing a stressful profession, is an inherent weakness of democracy. It is no wonder that those with money use it to influence the electoral process as much as they do. Democracy is simply tyranny of the 50% + 1.

It's highly suspect we'll sit at a stadium for 3-4 hour games plus watch on TV, but do a haphazard job of assembling for props and votes. People want their entertainment; however costly, because it's the only freedom and leisure time they have left. Too bad it's subjected to hypnosis during commercial breaks.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
"Precious" Republicans?
I revile Republicans. You are the one who seems to have a Smeagol-like attachment to a particular political party. I defend neither. Nor would I ever consider anything that comes from any television news media. So MSNBC is bashing the party that is aligned with their ratings rival's political party backer, who happens to be the rival party of their own backer. Well, no chance of any slant there, Bucko!

First, I do apologize for immediately assuming you were defending the Republicans. That was indeed uncalled for and when I am wrong I'll fess up and admit it.

No, on to the rest...

Those who know me on these forums know very well that I am critical of all main political parties and I view them all as wholly owned subsidiaries of the largest corporations and bankers.

Forgive me if I have it wrong, but you immediately attacked the piece without viewing it. While I am one of the first to criticize the MSM in all its forms, I am also not stupid enough to ignore everything reported because I don't believe something they stated last week.

I listen, I watch, I read between the lines and if no evidence is offered I'll either seek it myself or I'll choose to remain skeptical.

However, I at least watched it, and I saw the evidence she presented.

I note that in your response you didn't mention anything about the evidence she offers, and no comment on what she is reporting either.

So, are you one of those people who ignores the news completely because it's presented on TV, refusing to accept anything from the tornado warning to the fluff piece at the end about the one-legged cats being adopted? Or are you a sane person who is adult enough to be able to filter out the BS like the rest of us, and catch a story that actually does have some evidence presented and is offered with responsibility rather than simply nationalist venom?

What's your opinion on Michigan? Really, I'd like to know.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
I thought Republicans hated laws? I thought Republicans were all about REMOVING restrictions?? I thought Republicans HATE big gov???

I've noticed that too, they only hate big government when it's not them and their corporate backers pulling the strings. When it's them in power with the ability to do what they like - in Michigan for example - they're all about being the big brother government and creating as many laws as they like!

Have you seen the other thread about the pig farming in Michigan? They passed another "emergency law" which effectively shuts down all the pig farmers and forces them to shoot their animals. If they don't they'll be charged.

That's those Republicans - always looking out for the little guy, and always wanting smaller government /sarcasm.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Of course I don't support anything that subverts the interests of citizens. Michigan or anywhere else.
My issue with Maddow is the same that I have with Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Ed Schulz, or Kieth Olberman. She presents the "news", but it is really cherry picked items that support her political agenda. On a "news" channel that offers nothing but opinion and commentary which is specifically target marketed to a specific demographic.
I assure you, the Democrats are up to just as much no-good as their clones across the aisle.

Commentary/Opinion shows are not the same as live coverage of an event as it is occurring. Apples and Oranges.

I have no doubt that some state legislatures are up to no good. However, it is small potatoes compared to what is happening at the Federal level, which is controlled, at the executive level and in the Senate ,by Democrats. Not that the same shenanigans weren't happening when Republicans were in power. The OP definitely puts the onus of our problems on one half of the whole problem. This only enables the problem to continue as "they" easily manipulate the populace's primate urge toward tribalism via pushing emotional buttons. And that is my point. Even if some of her facts in this particular case are accurate, the whole premise, as it is presented, serves a destructive purpose on the whole.
But you make a valid point in that you should take information in from all sources and process it intelligently. Sadly, most viewers will simply take the host at her word, rather than to use her as a starting point in the learning and dissemination process. That applies to Glenn Beck equally to Rachel Maddow, by the way.

<< 1   >>

join