It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Every U.S. Soldier Killed On Battlefield This Year, 25 Veterans Die By Own Hands

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by DINSTAAR

So more veterns have killed themselves by their own hands than who fought and died on the battelfield from the revolutionary war to present.?

That is what the op and you are saying.

edit on 16-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

NOPE that is NOT what we're saying.

i won't bother explaining myself again because obviously you have trouble READING.

i'm off to bed now.

goodnight!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Very well written my friend, I was going to post the same thing but you probably said it better than I would of!

I'll just say though..................to all the potential soldiers and possible war veterans!

Please Stop signing up to fight unjust wars!!....Now!!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Nobody can know the exact numbers quite yet. The statistics a flawed. However, there still remains a problem and the simple fact is that veteran suicide rates are higher than that of civilians. There are also a large number of veterans who commit suicide while sitting around waiting for help from the VA. The VA health system is in serious trouble and is still unable to deal with the large numbers of veterans who need their help. It is a shame that this is happening.

The VA has been accused in the past of covering up true figures.

abcnews.go.com...

Lawmakers are questioning whether the Department of Veterans Affairs has been accurately reporting the number of veterans who commit suicide or if it's covering up the data.

At a hearing held by the House Veterans' Committee today, chairman Bob Filner, D-Calif., said he thought there was "criminal negligence" and "clear evidence of a bureaucratic coverup" in the VA's handling of mental health findings.

"If you have a thousand, and you said it could be more, of suicide attempts per month, we've got some real difficult issues," Filner said to Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James Peake.

www.veteransnewsnow.com...

From information made available by the Centers for Disease Control’s National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS), it is estimated that an averageof 18 veteran suicides occur each day —a number that is currently only calculated based on figures from 18 states.

Shinseki deems this number as unreliable, with approximately 60 percent of the U.S. not being counted in those figures. The VA estimates that between 2008 and 2010, about 950 veterans enrolled in VA health care attempted suicide each month, a number they feel could be heavily skewed.

The VA is hopeful to have a more realistic scope of veterans’ suicides by April at the very latest. With 49 state governments committing to furnish statistics on veterans’ deaths in their states to the department, more accurate information can be made available to health officials in the hope that better care can be distributed across America.

According to studies done by the VA, nearly 20 percent of the suicides that occur in the U.S. are committed by veterans. With only 6 million of the nation’s 22 million veterans enrolled in VA health services, attempting to track all veteran suicides might be impossible without the help of state-run organizations.

link   

Source of the above graph.

This chart comes from a Center for New American Security, written by Dr. Margaret C. Harrell and Nancy Berglass. It lists the sources on the bottom of it. The PDF is small and loads quickly.

According to the paper (see page 2, first paragraph on the left), 31% of those suicides are related to things which occurred before entering the military. That leaves 69% related to military duty.

Looks to me it is quite high in the Marines and Army. Clearly that article is accurate on the issue, if not so accurate on the numbers, which it exaggerates. Real numbers would have made the point just as well. The paper I linked is quite in depth and worth the read.

The blame however rests in large part on the radical Islamist who fueled this madness. They pose a genuine risk to the world and therefore are definitely a major factor.

link   

So more veterns have killed themselves by their own hands than who fought and died on the battelfield from the revolutionary war to present.?

When in the hell did I say this? From the beginning of my discussion with you, to now, you have been overtly ignoring anything anyone is writing.

You have thoroughly missed the point. Click the little x button on the tab that you are reading this in, and go somewhere else. You add nothing of value to this discussion.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
In my opinion, we treat our veterans terribly. I still remember reading the horrible conditions of Walter Reed hospital and being in disbelief. It's amazing that after serving their country they are treated with such disregard for physical and mental health....

This is where you all seem to be confused, you are not serving your country but serving an elite group of companies who have interest in overseas business!

Did you not see the kissinger quote on page 1?

Military men are “dumb, stupid animals to be used” as pawns for foreign policy.

Few more kissinger quotes if I may:

'Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control people.' '

The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.'

'Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.'

'I can think of no faster way to unite the American people behind George W. Bush than a terrorist attack on an American target overseas. And I believe George W. Bush will quickly unite the American people through his foreign policy.' '

Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told there was an outside threat from beyond whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will pledge with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to them by their world government.'

Maybe this is a good place to learn about foreign affairs

www.cfr.org...
edit on 16-4-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sad, but an even larger number die in car crashes when they come home. Poor kids, just out for some adventure.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

According to the paper (see page 2, first paragraph on the left), 31% of those suicides are related to things which occurred before entering the military. That leaves 69% related to military duty.

Did they hold a survey amongst the dead?.....Did you kill yourself A,....B,.....C,....?

Looks to me it is quite high in the Marines and Army.

The Navy and Airforce don´t experience the horrors up close so that makes sense.

The blame however rests in large part on the radical Islamist who fueled this madness. They pose a genuine risk to the world and therefore are definitely a major factor.

Amazing that people in general, but especially those visiting this site still believe and perpetuate that load of BS.

I´m pretty sure it was American misguided patriotism and imperialism that was the major factor.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There are between 20-30 million veterans in America

There are around 2,333,972 Americans that have been deployed overseas the number of troops in Afghanistan number under 100,000 with the number of combat troops are actually fight on a battlefield are even less.

No matter what way anyone looks at this veterans by far out number those who are on the battelfield and who have fallen there.

Fuzzy math at best how the hell anyone can compare veterans to active duty is beyond me.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Wow this tread was pretty heartbreaking already it's good to have the numbers so it can all be put in perspective.At what point will this human race finally say enough is enough, we refuse to participate. I quit driving to protest the lives being lost in the middle east over oil. Half the people I tell think that I am crazy to give up driving but I feel I had to do something, or be guilty of complacency.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Fuzzy math at best how the hell anyone can compare veterans to active duty is beyond me.

Well that depends, If they compare active duty deaths from the Iraq and Ghan wars to all veterans that ever fought in all wars the numbers don´t make sense.

If they compare to Iraq and Afghanistan veterans it would. I´m not sure what they did here.
edit on 16-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Kind of makes you wonder.
If you combine the fact that "dead men don't tell tales", and "you can't draw a pension when you are dead", if you did have a way of installing a post hypnotic suggestion that "kills two birds with one stone", as a high up military official, you might think of some machevalian program to do this.
Or maybe it is just PTSD.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I could see this fact becoming one of the primary drivers forcing folks to realize that war is fundamentally a stupid horrible thing and possibly causing a mass refusal of the people to participate in it. Kissinger knew people would have to be tricked into fighting via the brainwashing of "patriotism". If these soldiers were told ahead of time how they would eventually feel about "serving their country", my guess is many would not have signed up.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

modern warfare is very much different today than it has been from ww1 to present to "military action" to what gets defined as the battelfield today.

Pffft. What do you know about combat, Darth Neo? Do you have the planning & operational background to saddle that high horse?

Take off the mask and drink some water. You'll feel better.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kovenov

What the hell does that have to do with the topic eh?

Veterans means anyone who has ever served the current battlefield only includes a few thousand at most the rest are support personnel.

The comparison is BS.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I am surprised at the posts arguing about the exact numbers. Even if the numbers are 2 to 1 isn't that too many? How many dead service men/women is too many? Evil men think that there are acceptable losses sane men know different.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

...I fear it will only become worse as more and more veterans come home to a world that hates them and a system that has failed them.

I welcome you home with open arms. Thank you so much to you and your friends for everything. How could you have known? We were all lied to. The saddest part like you said is the seeming indifference the system pays to those in need after giving their all. Soldiers and vets know better than most what goes on and how Americans are misled by their leaders and the media. It ain't the soldiers fault.

Sometimes I see a uniform or meet a veteran and I struggle for what to say to them so as not to offend. What would you tell the average civy to say to vets and returning soldiers that would help ease their pain?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This is not shocking, at all..

What IS shocking, is the fact that the military men are still failing to see that they do NOT have to go and do this largely corruption LED work, they are doing just what they are told, and they love it... or it is just a job...When are these people going to realize that killing, and being killed just is not necessary, and STOP DOING IT.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thank you for posting this information. I am a disabled U.S. Soldier with PTSD and Lupus. I am in that limbo boat of those who have yet to end it all. Have I thought about it? Yes. I think about it all the time. Mostly though, I think about NOT doing it. That is my motto: You can do anything you want, just don't give up.

There is a lot of negativity in the world right now, and our wars contribute greatly to it. Being abandoned and left to fend for myself was difficult, and it is hard to get through every day. It is this massive failure by the leaders of the United States that leaves veterans with a cognitive dissidence. Abandoning service members is the LAST thing we are taught, yet here we are, alone in a broken country with little to no support.

It can be grim, but every once in a while, I read something that makes me feel a little more optimistic about the future of things. Your post is one of these things; a beacon of light in the darkness of unreason and mass hysteria.

Anything people can do to raise awareness that veterans are being left out to dry makes me feel a little better. With all the things going on, people can get wrapped up in MSM narratives and lose sight of what is going on around them.

In particular, that a veteran's death does not impact them at all. The warriors of your nation, America, are dying.

Now that you know this, please do whatever you can to assist. Awareness is the first step, and I am glad to see someone on ATS STAND UP FOR THE TRUTH.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join