It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Every U.S. Soldier Killed On Battlefield This Year, 25 Veterans Die By Own Hands

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I´m sorry for your losses. I lost a family member to suicide too.

I have no problem with this thread whatsoever. You sound bitter. I wish all the love and happiness in the world to you, sincerely.

I think it´s good that people know that there are 25 suicides by veterans for every fallen soldier on the battlefield.

Maybe it will stop more people from enlisting, so that less people have to kill themselves, and others in wars. That´s a good thing right? No matter how you look at it.

Peace brother.
edit on 16-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

People die in this country every day it only matters if they are a veteran considering no one puts in to context the suicide rate from world war 1 to date is disingenous.

where are the numbers from ww1,ww2,korea, and vietnam?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
In my opinion, we treat our veterans terribly. I still remember reading the horrible conditions of Walter Reed hospital and being in disbelief. It's amazing that after serving their country they are treated with such disregard for physical and mental health....

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Here it is dumbed down for people who don't get it and just create a thread to push a political agenda.

A veterans death has no more meaning by suicide than anyone else to sit there and again create a thread about it says just how effed up some people are.

To reitterate i have lost 2 family members to suicide didn't sit there and make threads about it but of course since they weren't military or veterans

doesn't mean a damn thing.
edit on 16-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

except for the part most of these veterans come down with PTSD and can't cope with themselves anymore.

PTSD has been linked to war and the attrocities they see there.

i feel sorry that you lost two family members due to suicide.

but this thread certainly is warranted.

and fyi i don't have an agenda other then to inform.
edit on 16-4-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

People die in this country every day it only matters if they are a veteran considering no one puts in to context the suicide rate from world war 1 to date is disingenous.

The suicide of a veteran matters in this discussion because the topic is PTSD from the wars our overlords have graced our lives with. That is not saying that the suicides of others do not matter.

There are many reasons people kill themselves

Depression and loss of hope
Child abuse
Bullying
Child neglect
Drug problems
War
Addictions of other sorts
Lost loved one
A bad divorce or break-up
many others.....

We are just talking about when suicides pertain to people who have experienced the horrors of war and the lack of support for those people by the very political class that told them to go fight in the first place. We can discuss the other reasons, but not in this thread. This thread is about the wagers of wars taking responsibility for the damage they cause.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Yeah ok whatever so how did they come up with those numbers exactly what theatres were "counted"

Afghanistan?
Iraq?
Yemen?
Pakistan?

What counts as the "Battlefield" context is everything with the progression of technology modern warfare is very much different today than it has been from ww1 to present to "military action" to what gets defined as the battelfield today.

Those numbers are BS hell the conflict where the most Americans have ever died from battle and suicide would have been the civil war.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

*facepalms*

every person matters.

this thread just happens to be about veterans and the rising suicide rate amongst them.

this thread is about pointing out something needs to be done.

veterans should be taken care of when they get home yet most are disregarded as if they where thrash.

i think you are missing the point here.

where are the numbers from ww1,ww2,korea, and vietnam?

if you would have read carefully, it's about ALL the veterans.

including veterans from ww1, ww2, korea and vietnam.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Veterans have killed themselves from the civil war to present so what it only matters now?

Where was peoples concern then?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Te Veterans have killed themselves from the civil war to present so what it only matters now? xt

Data exists now.

People have been killing themselves for eons. I do not have the data to support any thesis on the suicides that occurred in the stone age. This does not negate the data that exists today.

What you seem to be hung up on is our lack of time traveling statisticians.

edit to add: some data on the vietnam war does exist. Same conclusion. Vets have a higher likelihood of suicide.
edit on 16-4-2012 by DINSTAAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Veterans have killed themselves from the civil war to present so what it only matters now?

i believe in the 19th century there was no internet and forums like these to voice or concerns over.

correct me if i am wrong though

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
So because you don't believe people cared until now, we should just keep not caring?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
5000 americans died in IRaq and afghanistan 6500 killed themselves so how exactly are 25 veterans killing themselves for every one who died on the battelfield.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

5000 americans died in IRaq and afghanistan 6500 killed themselves so how exactly are 25 veterans killing themselves for every one who died on the battelfield.

because these numbers include ALL veterans in the US.

which are close to 25 million right now.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

and 6.500 veterans kill themselves EACH YEAR.

i believe the iraq and afghan war has been going on for several years.

if you would only read.

yet it's much easier to some source-bashing and accuse the OP of having an agenda, isn't it?

edit on 16-4-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
6500 hundred veterans kill them selves each year which amounts to 17 per day however there are 1800 hundred veterans die every day from a myriad of reasons.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The math still doesn't add up.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Veterans (of all wars) commit suicide at a higher rate than the rest of the population as a whole.

In fact, I just read an article that WWII vets are killing themselves at an even higher rate than any other group.

LINKY

All of them without support. This is the real truth about PTSD and war related suicide. That it never goes away and even in the latter years of life it still haunts the person.

I do not understand your argument here.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

For every soldier killed on the battlefield this year, about 25 veterans are dying by their own hands

considering we're not even halfway this year, it's not a complete picture.

6500 / 2 = 3250 veterans that have killed themselves so far.

112 US casualties in iraq and afghanistan so far.

112 x 25 = 2800.

isn't that far off.

it also depends on which sources you use.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I do not understand your argument here.

you're not the only one.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

So more veterns have killed themselves by their own hands than who fought and died on the battelfield from the revolutionary war to present.?

That is what the op and you are saying.

edit on 16-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Way doesn't anyone ever talk about profiteering or call what has happened in recent conflicts treason? I support our troops but not the war. I can think of nothing more patriotic than valuing the life of American kids and wanting them home safe with their families and loved ones.

Some one needs to hold these vultures accountable for this grave injustice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join