It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Webpage for info on Australian volcanoes and earthquakes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I always see a lot of people posting who seem to think that Australia is a pretty safe place regarding earthquakes and volcanoes. I also thought that this was the case too but after feeling a few earthquakes during the last couple of years after never feeling one in around 30 years, I started to research.

Ive came across this page a number of times while looking for information regarding earthquakes and volcanoes in Australia and has been a great source of information. I thought it would be a good page to share with you all.

Volcanoes and Earthquakes.

The Western Victorian Volcanic Plains are the third largest in the world and exceeded only by the Deccan in western India, and the Snake River Plateau in the United States ( Idaho-Nebraska ).

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Pretty interesting.

Im good where I am.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Interesting resource, thanks.

In the end, nobody is safe from earthquakes.

Live on a flat plane surrounded by bamboo...the roots knit the earth together and a bamboo grove is just about the safest place to be.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

Thank you. I will S&F this as always wondered about volcanic activity in Australia. South Australia does have a few fault lines running through it and we have two small earthquakes, every year, in the past two years. There hasn't been an earthquake in Adelaide for the past 20 years I reckon. They say Adelaide is due for a big one but hope they are wrong.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Where abouts do you live? I've never felt or heard of an earthquake here before.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

ATS Thread, Earth Quake now in Townsville

I have also lived in Darwin and we had a few there as well.

Whateva

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Cheer for the links villain

Overall though Australia is pretty much the safest continent in the world when it comes to earthquakes and volcanoes simply because we aren't near any major plate boundaries. Most of the world's earthquakes and volcanoes are caused when an oceanic plate slips under a continental plate such as around the Pacific Ring of Fire.

The boundaries of the plate which Australia sits on (the Indo-Australian plate) has its boundaries running through Indonesia to the north, NZ to the east, Macquarie Island to the South and way off in the Indian ocean to the West.

Sure we have had volcanoes in the past but the were relatively minor or occurred at a time when the palte boundaries ran down the eastern coast of Astralia. Like anywhere though we can and do get earthquakes but these are more caused by a 'rumpling' of the the Indo-Australian plate rather than major fault movement such as in LA with the San Andreas Fault (not saying that Australia doesn't have faults though).

new topics

top topics

join