It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who want to nix welfare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Are you people stupid, crazy, or have you simply not thought it through?

A good bit of people on welfare actually do work or were recently laid off. I know this from personal observation.

If these people who work, and hard in many cases, suddenly realize that their welfare is gone and they can't feed their kids or keep a roof over their heads anymore, what do you think is going to happen?

Do you think that they'll just let their kids go hungry? Do you think they'll just sit there and starve to death while you have more than enough to eat and they know it? There's a lot of poor people out there that depend on welfare.

The thing about it is that a lot of the people on welfare are single mothers. And momma's gonna feed them kids, you can bank on that. If she's got to bust into your house and beat you over the head with a pipe, she will feed her kids.

You think poverty's not your problem? That's because you don't live in reality.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think the argument is that economies, businesses and people all existed before welfare. And there was a time where the US was prosperous enough that people didn't need to go on welfare.

With it, comes a strange mentality of being taken care of by the state, contrary to somewhere where everyone can work and earn a decent wage. Any time you hand money to the state you are getting pennies on the dollar for the return.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

So you're arguing that getting rid of welfare will magically restore the U.S. to its golden age?

I understand the concept of paying people decent wages and such, but that's not the reality of life in the U.S., anymore. Further, the people who want to nix welfare also tend to be the people defending whatever seems best for business...part of which is dumbing down wages and driving people into the poverty that renders them eligible for welfare.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Poor people have to get materials for life somewhere. Either from welfare, or from working. There have been poor people since the beginning of time. The other side of the argument is that the welfare system sets these people down a certain path and wants to maintain them in this system indefinitely. As they get less wealth by being given handouts as opposed to if they were taking a job that paid them a decent wage.

I'm not arguing either side, just pointing out the opposite one.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Welfare should come from your family, not your government.

Why should I pay 2,000 more in taxes a year so my daughter gets 10 dollars more a week in welfare?

If you think the above statement is ridiculous you should crunch the actual numbers, it will make you

The reason these people don't get welfare from their families is because THEY ARE ABLE CITIZENS!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

A lot of the people who get welfare actually do work. They make civilized life possible for the rest of us.

And the point of my post is that when these people lose their welfare and realize they can't feed their kids, do you think they're just going to sit there and let them starve?

Personally, I think it's more likely that they're going to start robbing stores and terrorizing those of us that have more than them.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I'm not wealthy so I'm not too concerned about it. I can see how you would be fearful of the poor, rioting, pipe wielding mothers if you are wealthy tho.

But this begs another question, don't the wealthy types typically place themselves far away from said poor, rioting, pipe wielding mothers via gated communities and such?

Or are you worried about the general populace? I'm pretty sure the maniac you describe isn't going to kill me if I don't have anything to give.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

The people that are actually causing the problem by dumbing down wages and sending jobs overseas wouldn't be victimized. It would be the middle and upper middle classes.
edit on 16-4-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The problem you are describing is due to decades of disproportionate work/pay. If you get paid well you should have worked hard. This isn't the case in the last 30 years. Now that *(s) is hitting the fan, the already privileged are giving up.

This would explain the college crowd that can't pay back the debts. Why did they go to college in the first place? Someone told them that going to college would get them a cozy office job that paid a lot. Things changed. Looking back 20 years ago, you'd have been better off buying real estate with the college money. Who's to know tho? It's no reason to become lazy and decide to give up.

We shouldn't be bailing out peoples kids. That's all welfare is these days. Bad parenting. Now the kids are all grown up and they can't seem to understand what it means to work and practice safe sex. Is it my fault? No. Is it my problem now? Yes.

It's BS.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I just don't get this idea that people on welfare don't have a job. Some don't, most DO work.

One in seven Americans now rely on food stamps, which give low-income people - a family of four with an annual gross income of less than $29,064, for example - help to buy groceries.

"I'd say 80 percent of the people are working or just lost their job when they come in for food stamps," said Tom Gundersen, a supervisor for the Florida Department of Children and Families, which administers the federal program here.

nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com...

"Working poor" rate 7.2 percent in 2010

There were 4.8 million workers who lived below the poverty threshold and usually worked full time in 2010. Full-time workers were less likely to be among the working poor than were part-time workers. Among persons in the labor force for 27 weeks or more, 4.2 percent of those usually employed full time were classified as working poor, compared with 15.1 percent of part-time workers.

www.bls.gov...

One of the things that is very telling on the welfare haters is that they generally hate on the recipients and not the program itself.

edit on 16-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
These corporatist's that spit on those in need cheer for corporate welfare.

It is also very telling when you hear someone complain about welfare. These people comfort themselves with the delusion that they are better than the poor.

America has tent cities all over the place. Where is the empathy? Where is the concern for fellow human's? The concern for counrtymen?

These people that wish the poor to starve to death in the streets have a demonic streak of schadenfreude .

The culture of spitting on the poor while they starve in the street is alarming to me. What is wrong with you people?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Originally posted by RealSpoke
I just don't get this idea that people on welfare don't have a job.

Nobody said this on this thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Exactly.

Education[24] 38% have less than a High School diploma. 34% have a High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.). 28% have more than a High School education.

Employment[24] 44% report having worked in the past week. 13% have regular jobs. 50% receive less than $300 per month as income. 70% work on street corners, pan-handling or prostituting themselves.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 16-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Did I say they did? This thread is about people that want to nix welfare and it is one of the common arguments they use.

Unemployed moochers is one of the untrue stereotypes people have about people on welfare.

Like Mitt Romney and in this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Where are their families? Where are their friends? Who are these mystery poor people?

Why should I sympathize with a made up person?

I know in certain situations a child needs to be taken away from his/her family for safety reasons and I'm all about helping them get past that hurdle. On the other hand there is this famous chinese proverb.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
Welfare should come from your family, not your government.

Why should I pay 2,000 more in taxes a year so my daughter gets 10 dollars more a week in welfare?

If you think the above statement is ridiculous you should crunch the actual numbers, it will make you

The reason these people don't get welfare from their families is because THEY ARE ABLE CITIZENS!

My step-father was laid off and my mom works part time. My Sister-in-law's husband works, but it's not nearly enough for the whole family(3 kids)...my mother-in-law and her husband...well they don't work and it's their fault.
My point is...if my husband and I had to help everyone in the family that needed it, we wouldn't have anything left for ourselves and OUR children.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

Where are their families? Where are their friends? Who are these mystery poor people?

Why should I sympathize with a made up person?

I know in certain situations a child needs to be taken away from his/her family for safety reasons and I'm all about helping them get past that hurdle. On the other hand there is this famous chinese proverb.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

I dont see America giving any fishing lesson's. If anything America has poisoned the river.

And what do you mean made up people? Have you not seen the Tent Cities?

Also you should care because you are human. Apparently.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

You can drive to any large city in the USA, drive to the "ghetto" part and see all the poor people.

You can go to more country parts and find the nearest trailer park and see all the poor people

If you live in a suburb go to the more seedier looking apartment complex and see all the poor people

If you think poor people do not exist, what reality do you live in?
If you think everyone has financially stable family, what reality do you live in?

edit on 16-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Homeless people are a different statistic than the working poor. The working poor are the majority of the welfare recipients.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Where have you been? Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a job at this time? What ever happened to us helping each other? I'll admit that in some cases welfare is misused, but what about those that really NEED it. Do we just watch them starve?

I'm thankful that my husband has a job now, but I also know how rare it is. I feel awful watching my mother and other family members struggling. We help when we can, but there's no way that we could pay for all of their needs.

Seriously can't get over the fact that you don't know or see any poor people...is your zip code 90210 by any chance?
edit on 16-4-2012 by BrittanyLea because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join