It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So exited!!! I have to share my triumphs with you all.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Remember a rant I did about 9 weeks ago about how I hate math and have a huge phobia and I was not looking forward to my upcoming 8 weeks of my first math class? I'm about to take the final tomorrow and WOW.

A refresher: from 5th grade til I graduated high school in 1991, I'd get f's to D- in math consistently. I got severe math phobia where if anyone just mentioned it or I saw it, I'd get hot cold, want to flee at all cost, would sob, get angry, furious, frustrated, really negative, sweat, shake, stammer, etc.

I'm proud to say as of right now pre final, I have an 88.7% in class with 99.4% in homework and 83.8% in tests!

This feels so good. Its more like a puzzle to me; a brain teaser. Instead of getting phobia'd out, I stay calm and figure it out.

^_^ IM HAPPY! I don't remember all who did, but to those who told me of the Khan Academy, THANK YOU a billion times over. It really helped!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Congrats.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Thanks! We rarely see good news in the other forums so why not share some here, right?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Congrats for you!

My daughter has the same problem and now she is a biology major, go figure.

Maybe it just takes time for some brains to grow into math.

I didn't get it in high school, then 10 years later in college....bang...there it was!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Alright! That's what I'm talking about!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
great to hear! so good to hear you've conqoured your fear and issue with math

seems like quite the dramatic shift too, 80's in tests is really quite good

do you have any tips or secrets/things that helped you deal with your math and allow you to be able to sit down and work at it?

my girlfriend is currently upgrading her math classes online and well... she's brilliant and i know she can do it she just avoids it and so far on a couple occassions we've both just sat down and had to finish a couple whole units within a night because they grades would be closed online after a certain date so the work would have to be done in order to receive any marks on it

like i said she's a smart girl she just needs some inspiration to sit down and do her work sometimes

before we even dated i remember her saying how she was avoiding her math work and was afraid to even check how far behind she was but she has completed one math course since we've been together now and she's working on another now

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Des

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

So exited!!!

Good job

Now, lets work on that spelling

Really, good job though

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

it was a single typeo, silly! xD I've been doing math for 11 hours now and finally stopped.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I kid because I love

oh, and because I am a smart a%$

I hoped you took it well

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by trust_no_one

Yes! I DO have tips.

the Khan Academy. Someone here told me about it and the way the guy explains it makes SO much sense you actually get eager to do more.

www.khanacademy.org...

There is the link for that. It's a godsend. Also, for me, I was expecting my fears to crop up but it was like in a blink, I got the mindset of, "No, I will master you. I will find out this puzzle and solve it." For some reason, I stopped seeing math as hard and started to see it as a puzzle or a brain teaser. It's different for everyone description-wise. Some equate it to a dance. Some equate it to puzzles. Some say it's a rhythm/ theory, etc.

But yes, do try the Khan. They have vids for everything from 1st grade math to 'I never want to do that ever" math, science, history, economics... pretty much anything you'd want to know in school - plus some extras also! It's free too. FREE.

I do mine online via Devry so I know how that time limit stuff is. With Devry, you HAVE to get 80% minimum in all tests, homework, quizzes, practice tests and final else you don't move forward. :/
edit on 16-4-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Of course I did! I love reading your posts anyway. You have a great sense of humor.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Thanks a lot i greatly appreciate the info

and again very good to hear that you are/have overcome your own struggles!

keep on fighting the good fight, everyone must do what they can and fight their own battles

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by trust_no_one

Aw no problem. I hope that site helps her like it helped me as well. It's a blessing for real.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Go for it babe and CONGRATULATIONS - the world is going to be your Oyster if you keep that up -

I'd give you a Gold Star if I could but can't so you'll have to make do with the little blue one - and a flag of course - start waving it.

S&F for effort.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I've had a math phobia all my life so I can relate.
Congratulations on conquering your foe!
You're a better mind that I

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
** hey Sarra, if you want to get revenge on your math teacher, see if he can solve this one ...

if a=1, b=4=2x2, c=5 then a=(c-b) right ? multiply both sides by (c-b) gives a(c-b) = (c-b)**2 [** means squared]. then expand to ac -ab = c**2 + b**2 - 2bc ok ? move the c**2 and one of the two -bc to the left, and the -ab to the right, gives ac -c**2 +bc = b**2 - bc + ab now take the c and b outside brackets, c(a +b -c) = b(a +b -c) ok ? cannot argue, this is all simple standard procedures. cancel the two bracket terms, leaves c = b, so since we started with b=2x2 and c=5 we must conclude 2x2 =5 ! see how clever you can now be with all that math

new topics

top topics

join