It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancestry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Lately, I have been researching into my family history and have found some very interesting things. Unless you are of Scottish descent, you probably would not understand my Username. I am descended from the Scottish clan Macleod, which is descended from Swedish Imperial House of Ivar, making us descended from the Norse God Freyr, and Noah's son Magog.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I found it interesting that my ancestor Ragnar Lodbrok robbed Charlemagne Grandson for 7,000 lbs of silver.

Feel free to post your own ancestries.
edit on 15-4-2012 by SonofLeod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well, my ancestors came from a lot of different European areas, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England, Poland, Austria, and one that I know of from this very land where I was born. I enjoy researching our family trees. I see a very old photo, a drawing, perhaps, of an ancestor and can see his/her words written somewhere and it creates a cool sense of belonging to something greater than my present reality.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

It does doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SonofLeod

My opinion is everyone should write down their thoughts....maybe write something that you think your descendants might like to read. Not necessarily write a few books, lol, but write something about you, the time you live in, even the most mundane things that might one day be read by someone else and it seems so foreign to them. And bring everyone together.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by SonofLeod

My opinion is everyone should write down their thoughts....maybe write something that you think your descendants might like to read. Not necessarily write a few books, lol, but write something about you, the time you live in, even the most mundane things that might one day be read by someone else and it seems so foreign to them. And bring everyone together.

I do. Everyday. And I do it here of all places.

When I get the time and money, both are tight right now, I'll buy enough ink and paper for the copier and print everything out. Keeping it in order of dates of course so my daughter can see, in retrospect at least, everything that's happened to me and my thoughts about it all during what is now the past 6 years.

There would be nothing like taking the last year of your life and reading it in one day. It would put it in a whole new perspective so you could possibly understand it better.

Time's a funny thing huh?

Hopefully we'll be around and this site will be around for many more years to come because as everything is unfolding in my life now, it's only going to prove to be more interesting in the years to come.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Clan McMillian here.
Years ago my grandfathers cousin went to college in Scotland. I'm not sure where. While she was there she did some research on the family background. She was able to track the family tree back to 1520. She kind of hit a wall there for some reason, as in no further information avalible.Perhaps the more ancient records had been destroyed . We really don't know and she never said.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I've been studying my family tree for the last 20 years or so and unfortunately they seem to be peasants to a man!

But I'll bet no-one else can trace their ancestors as far as Adrian Targett who was proved to be a DNA match with Cheddar Man 9000 odd years ago - and he still lives and teaches in the same area! thecheddarmandoc.wordpress.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
We can trace directly (so far) only as far back as 1606. Our ancestry is from Wales, where our family crest is of a minor noble house. I know one of my ancestors (at least according to surname) was a Sheriff of Nottingham, but not sure if he was THE Sheriff of Robin Hood fame. First records of the family that we could find put us in Nottinghamshire, in the UK. (and yes, I'm actually a good shot with a bow...I guess it's genetic. If you ever saw the flag of Nottinghamshire, you'd know why).

I can think of at least two famous relatives. One, actually did what Amelia Earhart was TRYING to do, yet nobody remembers her much, hehe (although she did have an affair with the Duke of Gloucaster, son of George V)...and another is a moderately famous character actor who you'd recognize, but never recall what you saw him in. Mostly back in the 60's and 70's, though occasionally in the 80's. (he was a villain on The Bionic Man, and a resort owner in Pirahna for example, he was also in Airport 77, Guns of the Magnificant 7, Hot Pursuit, and was on TV in Fringe, The Mod Squad, Hogans Heroes, and tons of others (basically any 80's TV show it seems (like Fall Guy, Simon & Simon, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, A-Team, etc.), from the filmography)

Our family came to the US in 1635, to Virginia first, then later spread to other parts of the country (mostly California and Florida). I'm of the Florida offshoot (so is the actor). The aviatrix is from those who stayed in England.

So, my family's been here pretty much over 100 years before America was even a nation...

One of my cousins maintains the family tree website, and I'm sure to send him updates/pictures etc. We've all kind of made it a family thing, so that it's preserved for generations to come. It's really nice knowing so much about where we came from, etc. and it's almost 100% complete as of the current generation.

edit on 17-4-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join