It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Imagine How Much Alien Technology Has Advanced Since Roswell.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Of course we are all aware of just how much our own technology has advanced just since the Wright brothers first took flight and of course the advancements seem to be coming at an ever increasing pace, so it follows to reason that alien technology is changing, evolving and improving continually. Probably at a rate that would make our scientific advancements seem to come at a snail's pace.
In 1947 the craft seemed to be made of some sort of very thin metal that was incredibly strong and had shape memory as well. Then in 1980 the Ufo that Sgt. Jim Penniston touched in the Rendlesham forest incident he described as being black, smooth and glass like with colored lights that swirled within this black covering.
And now there is conjecture that Ufos are somehow biological in nature and can interface directly with the occupants. And these new Ufos can apparently change shape as well. They have also been known to drip some sort of glowing semi fluid as well as have the ability to merge with other of these Ufos.
It makes sense to me that they would constantly be improving and adding to their scientific knowledge and at rate far superior to ours. Any thoughts?
edit on 4/15/2012 by MissSmartypants because: more info

edit on 4/15/2012 by MissSmartypants because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
60 years would mean nothing to to the advancement of aliens, i think its the imagination of people that is changing with the advancement of our own technologi.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
60 years would mean nothing to to the advancement of aliens, i think its the imagination of people that is changing with the advancement of our own technologi.

And aliens have no imagination? No ability to create? In 1947 our radar brought their craft down in the Roswell desert...much to our surprise as well as their's. I bet they've fixed that vulnerability in their propulsion system since then.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants
Of course we are all aware of just how much our own technology has advanced just since the Wright brothers first took flight and of course the advancements seem to be coming at an ever increasing pace, so it follows to reason that alien technology is changing, evolving and improving continually. Probably at a rate that would make our scientific advancements seem to come at a snail's pace.
In 1947 the craft seemed to be made of some sort of very thin metal that was incredibly strong and had shape memory as well. Then in 1980 the Ufo that Sgt. Jim Penniston touched in the Rendlesham forest incident he described as being black, smooth and glass like with colored lights that swirled within this black covering.
And now there is conjecture that Ufos are somehow biological in nature and can interface directly with the occupants. And these new Ufos can apparently change shape as well. They have also been known to drip some sort of glowing semi fluid as well as have the ability to merge with other of these Ufos.
It makes sense to me that they would constantly be improving and adding to their scientific knowledge and at rate far superior to ours. Any thoughts?
edit on 4/15/2012 by MissSmartypants because: more info

edit on 4/15/2012 by MissSmartypants because: spelling

If an alien civilization was already advanced enough to travel as fast as/faster than the speed of light and study a far away planet's beings and even possibly build some ancient walls for them...than most likely that civilization would already be advanced enough for any other major technological advances to be few and far between.

So, no, I don't think a hypothetical alien race that is actually visiting us has advanced much, if any, technologically.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Speculation is great, but it's annoying at some times.

In this thread, there's not really much to discuss concerning the topic. We have so little information about these beings, endless theories are spawned.

That being said, what you have posted is interesting to think about, but since there's no facts, there's nothing to discuss.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

THIS. YES.

If there are cultures that are supposedly millions of years, or just a few hundred thousand years more advanced than us, I'd strongly suspect they'd have lots and lots of tried and true legacy/heritage vehicles thousands of years old, still working, still good, built to last the astoundingly dangerous and deadly harsh conditions that the real universe is mostly made up of.

anything 'new' would just be a variation or adaptation of something already tried and true. Get to a certain level and returns in advancement are increasingly diminishing near to the point of zero once a certain peak efficiency is achieved.

link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

You are making lots of suppositions. Alien implies different this does not only cover physical aspect or biological requirements and capabilities but mentality and social structure.

Imagine that they are stagnant or declining in their technological development, this could be even a point of interest for the observation of our antics.

Imagine that the aliens we have are a slave race or simple biological constructs of a long extinct race without capacity for innovation beyond simple problem solving.

Imagine that they have found or re-purposed much of their technology and aren't even capable of replicating it, or that they are technological scavengers.

Imagine that they are immortal or clones, in this type of setup innovation tends to stand still, beyond simple curiosity and small improvements.

Imagine that they are isolated from their own civilization (maybe they are inter galactic or extra dimensional).

There are many more possibilities, and the one that would apply wouldn't even came up on our suppositions.

One thing is certain, observed craft have mostly been distinct in shape, from composition, to format even to performance. Even considering that most may not be alien craft, by our records of reports, we can note that the same type of craft is seen in clusters in relation to time frame, so they objectives and presence is time constrained and that there may be several civilizations at work. Complex systems like an aircraft are constructed in series, that benefits economy of scale, repairs and expansion/modifications. Because the crafts we observe are mostly distinct it signifies that their models are not created in large numbers nor kept for long.

edit on 15-4-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

link   

And aliens have no imagination? No ability to create? In 1947 our radar brought their craft down in the Roswell desert...much to our surprise as well as their's. I bet they've fixed that vulnerability in their propulsion system since then.

I think what Mianeye is saying is the reason many UFOs seem much more advanced is because we are more technologically advanced (because most UFO reports are fake).

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Well, maybe...

But it's kind of hard to prove.
I made a thread sometime back about the look of UFO's, from hardware disc/ cigar shapped to the ones we see today, which is mostly lights.
I suggested that the UFO pictures from back then where all fake, simply because, it makes no sense that the UFO's would change in such a short time span.

I ofcause hope i am wrong, as i would really like them to be real

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Radar? How do you know it was not a dragon?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Nah, exponential growth tends to always have natural limiting factors. Like a logistic function. [Basic form: 1 / (1+e^x) ]

At the bottom I've pasted in a potential graph of, say, a species' "technological maturity vs. time." (Time is horizontal.) The numbers along the axes mean nothing, as we have no idea if time in such a scenario would be measured in centuries, millennia, millions of years, etc. But I think of it as our technological growth being around the x=2.5 or 3 portion of the curve right now, with most other civilizations having passed their 'singularity' and living very comfortably but 'stagnant' at the x=6 or above rate of growth, harnessing the power of stars and beyond.

There must be a limit to such growth -- the curve must start to bend down -- otherwise one or a few civilizations would be using up all the energy that we don't see being used up....

Who knows. It's fun to speculate though!

edit on 16-4-2012 by TeaAndStrumpets because: typo

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I second everyone else's posts that if a species is advanced enough to actually travel through space and reach this planet, then 60 years probably won't give much advancement in technology.

But who knows! We need to keep an open mind, and we are dealing with something that we know almost nothing about.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

If these "Aliens" use time travel, then 60 years to us humans could be 600 or 6000 years to them.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I don't know about this cause its a you had to be there situation.
The UFOs and saucers do the same thing they always did.
Shine brightly in hover or going slow and have great speed up or down or sideways.
Or we don't see them at all do to great speed.

Now if you talk about attachments to the vehicle and their development that might be the case.

Anyway Roswell had phony saucers and green monkeys that didn't fool anyone just to take
the heat off the people in New Mexico working on saucer projects.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Hmm, nice question there.
As someone said, we have little to none hard data to extrapolate. All we can do is speculate, at best.
But's let's give it a shot

I Agree that it's likely that a civilization possessing FTL tech is, at least, a couple thousand ahead of us, technologically speaking (I say "likely" because there are some scenarios where a species at our level could access to superior tech, but I'm going to assume they developed it, for the sake of argument)
In that case, as some said, scientific and tech advancements would be sparce in time.
But, "sociologically"... Sentience, consciousnesses, psycology, have very different and (for the untrained) caothic behavior. Maybe after some time, "high in the curve", the biggest catalyzer for change isn't purely scientific.
And just, maybe, this is why they explore the galaxy (sector, cluster, whatever), looking for that "culture-shock" that arises when two different cosmo-visions meet, 'cause every world-view, as primitive as it may look, constitutes an individual, irreproducible take on existence.
And I believe that, because I think that the next "big frontier" for and advanced civilization, after material needs are met thanks to better technology and social planning (putting it mildly...), maybe after that is that the real "challenge" of consciousness becomes clear.

Anyway, those are my two space-credits.
Drakus

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Of course we are all aware of just how much our own technology has advanced just since the Wright brothers first took flight and of course the advancements seem to be coming at an ever increasing pace, so it follows to reason that alien technology is changing, evolving and improving continually.

Our technology is advancing at a faster rate because communication is far better than what it was centuries and decades ago. In ancient times, if a civilization or country found out about something, it would take years for that knowledge to be transported to other areas. First because communication was poor and it actually took months and years to travel the globe, and second, because people were so uneducated that you actually had to wait until an expert, or the person who made the discovery, travelled to your country to talk and teach about said findings.

Today, a piece of news about science can travel the whole world in a second, if not less. People are more aware, understand better what development and technology is, and we are friendly towards it (something that wasn't common until a couple of centuries ago).

We now have universities that teach and give you the tools to think and develop on your own. Geniuses have access to much more means than in previous times, etc...

It isn't magical, it's trackable through time.

You start by making a huge mistake. Comparing a possible alien life-form or civilization with human standards. We have our development timeline because of our history and means within that history.

Alien civilizations aren't attached to that. They are not even attached to our time of existence, let alone by our history.

In 1947 the craft seemed to be made of some sort of very thin metal that was incredibly strong and had shape memory as well.

My major argument comes in the end, but I'll answer point by point until the conclusion.

The fact that UFO's were portrayed as metallic, with amazing properties was due to the technology at the time. Back then aircrafts were shiny and made out of aluminum (the most advanced ones, especially).

Means of production were advancing at the time, and we were starting to have the means to develop new ways of treating metal, and we were also figuring out more extreme ways of industry, which also meant we were developing new materials, like new metallic compounds. Best case in point, titanium used first in planes like the SR71 Blackbird.

Then in 1980 the Ufo that Sgt. Jim Penniston touched in the Rendlesham forest incident he described as being black, smooth and glass like with colored lights that swirled within this black covering.

Again, you see a trend in sightings and descriptions. People have a big imagination, but they aren't very creative in terms of looking into the future. Usually that kind of people write books and direct movies that inspire the rest of the folks, not the contrary.

In the time-period you mention (1980) we were at the peak of stealth technology development. Aircraft's like the F-117 Nighhawk were starting to pop up, and the compounds that they used to manufacture them were already studied and being perfected.

"Black, smooth and glass like" to me, sounds like the covering of a F-117 fighter-bomber, with the special compound that reflects/deflects and absorbs radar waves.

In that statement you contradict yourself a bit. You had already mentioned that supposedly, UFO's were able to shape-shift with the metal-like material. So, that isn't exactly new, is it?

As for the biological, fluid-like and that sort of description...

...look at the current Sci-Fi trends. Genetics, biological machines that mimic life, nanotechnology, etc...

Is it that hard to see a direct correlation between pop-culture and UFO sightings and descriptions? I think not.

Personally, we don't have any UFO's. And looking more and more about the way sightings change when culture changes, I think even harder about if we have had a UFO (as in extraterrestrial) at all within our atmosphere.

It's like the crop-circle thing. If you take one from each year, and you compare them to trends in terms of looks and geometric shapes, they do seem to align with other forms of culture. More complex as the timeline is put closer to today standards.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Let me add that perhaps, for aliens, time travels faster for them. Maybe a 1000 years goes by for them for every one earth year or something like that. Then also maybe they have some super computer ,chugging away non stop, thinking up new technology for them. We already have super computers that are as advanced as the human brain...imagine if we program it to learn and just think up new technology. Anyway who knows but I would think they advance much faster than us.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

That might not be the case. Depending on how the "aliens" think, their speed of development might be extremely slow. Even human beings spent a good portion of 40,000 years wandering around before they figured out simple things like the wheel and plows. Things have sped up lately, but it hasn't always been that way.

Another thing to consider is that technology is driven by need, and often during period of wars/conflict. Maybe after a certain point, there's no more conflict, everything works great, and there's no more need to technologically progress. Why build a better mousetrap?

Also, once you figure out time travel, and can move easily into various times and reality constructs, you instantly have the best possible time travel technology in all times. That's because you take your time machine and immediately go as far into the future as you can or zoom to the most advanced planet, and get the most advanced time/space travel technology ever invented by anybody ever. That means everywhere and everytime has the same technology, and it never progresses beyond that point. Because it doesn't have to.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I have a(n intellectual) problem with the idea that wars/conflict will always be the biggest agent of scientific advance.
I think that we are in an "explosive paradigm", and have been for some time. But that is not the only axis that can structure a society's paradigm.
Let's try to speculate a little. There IS a chance that sometime in the future, human civilization will finally integrate, as species, and stop defining borders in a us vs them way. And we don't need to go utopian here. There's no need for a kumbaya paradise (although a society of free love and free mind sounds inspiring); It seems logical to me that if we survive the downfall of the current socioeconomic system, there's an open door to a world-wide forum where all nations have ONE voice and ONE vote and earth's plentiful resources are shared fairly among it's inhabitants.

In that case, little green man invasions notwithstanding, we'll be finally free to BE and DO whatever defines us as sentient beings, and by far, i'm sure most well-educated and fed humans will find some area of the human experience to be inspiring, whether it is building things, planning things, creating things, exploring places, exploring ourselves, finding the ultimate position in which to engage in sexual intercourse, etc..., and that, being human, is what we do better.
Such a society will have a much greater desire for knowledge and discovery, and will be able to engage that desire free from the fear of unemployement, unsecurity, hunger and freaking bombs falling over their heads...

I still have some hope in our kind. And that's all it's left.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
As other posters have stated more clearly, if these entities are possibly thousands of years in advance of us than they have already gone through their own version of the "singularity" and probably know practically every thing there is too know about things like propulsion methods, FTL travel, advanced computing and AI, genetics and medicine. I could see them know focusing on things like spirituality and research on how to access different universes or create their own.

As people said before, there is probably some type of technological plateau you would hit after a certain amount of time and advancement. Anything afterwards are evolutions of earlier designs or long-term research and tinkering on their versions of "far-out-ideas".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join