It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"EPA knew MONSANTO caused Colony Collapse Disorder in bee populations" UN Global Bee Crisis 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
www.epa.gov...

EPA Knew Monsanto Pesticide Caused Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) in Bee Populations

Commonly used pesticides may be a primary driver of the collapsing bee populations, finds two new studies in Science. The studies, one focused on honeybees and the other on bumblebees, found that even small doses of these pesticides, which target insect’s central nervous system, impact bee behavior and, ultimately, their survival. The studies may have far-reaching repercussions for the regulation of agricultural chemicals, known as neonicotinoid insecticides, that have been in use since the 1990s.” Jeremy Hance

UN report shows bee population heading nearer to crisis

In a report just released by the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) studies show that there have been a massive number of deaths in bee colonies in all different parts of the world and that this news may well be part of a larger and more concerning threat to our global crops. According to the report the reasons for the deaths of the bees are multiple but essentially man-made. Included in the causes are the use of pesticides, high levels of air pollution, a decline in flowering plants plus an increase in parasites. In total more than a dozen factors are attributed as causes to the decline in bee population which was most significantly noted in Europe and North America. Of the 100 crop species that provide 90 per cent of the world’s food, over 70 are pollinated by bees. Human beings have fabricated the illusion that in the 21st century they have the technological prowess to be independent of nature. Bees underline the reality that we are more, not less, dependent on nature’s services in a world of close to seven billion people,” So what to do next? The UN report calls for a major swing toward more ecological farming methods which are far less reliant on insecticides.

edit on 15-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

WOW!

As a person who has started a thread and contributed to those threads in regards to MONSANTO and the 'Colony Collapse Disorder' in bee populations.... this news is not surprising, but vindicating.

I keep trying to tell myself.... 'nah, it wasn't intentional... it was just coincidence that they would profit off of this', but holding any truth to such a notion is becoming increasingly difficult.

It's going to be interesting to see where it goes from here. I personally could care less about any 'punishment' or 'justice', for the cosmos has a funny way of taking care of this. I just want to see solutions, and if that means eliminating many of the products that Monsanto provides... I'm all for it. We need a healthy ecosystem that is conducive to a thriving environment for future generations, and myself.

I say... screw it, back to organic... and if we can continue to breed through 'natural' means, we should do that instead of trying to engineer everything under a microscope.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I don't understand myself why this doesn't register higher on the outrage scale. There are people fighting tooth and nail against the environmentalist in order to protect the interests and concerns of polluters. Could there be any more corporate collusion? Monsanto and the EPA, Big Pharma and the FDA. We need to clean out governing AGENCIES since they have proved culpability and corruption and can no longer operate reliably in the peoples interest. I wish ordinary citizens who enjoy produce, trees and flowers would wake up and smell the ROUND UP.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
thanks for having spoken out about it. sometimes i feel like im the only one here these days that cares about the 'birds n the bees'

as an avid gardener, i was not away of roundup. monsanto, and the effects GMOs had until i joined ATS.

thats right, for decades i have used ROundup and other glyphoshate products until i realized a fraction of the weeds were totally resistant! then i read about on here that this overruse of pesticides (including herbicides like roundup glyphosate) contribute to the evolution of resistant weeds in the 'wild' population.

and that Monsanto is actually not just encouraging widespread heavy usage of pesticides/herbicides, but is engineering these pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides into the food crop itself, which when consumed has a toxic effect just like the pesticide toxin itself does. ie BT corn. Monsanto doesnt care because if native bees goe extinct, all the more value to their pesticide-resistant GMO bees to sell to the world over.

its all about money trail and perhaps even a more sinister agenda, too. but yea, because Monsanto has already infiltrated the EPA, USDA & Supreme Court, among other government agencies, it's up to the universal laws of karma, karmic return, cause and effect. Monsanto - the corporation and the crooked lawyers & any mad scientists behind them - have it coming back to them one way or another for regardless of their intentions or alibi - what they caused and let happen.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So... there's no links to this report? Any reputable sources at all... I don't necessarily trust the words of a 'OccupyLV' website, sorry.

The only real link of any value is to UNEP itself.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

There was some talk that the reports came from Science magazine (Sciencemag.org) but I'm not going to subscribe, it costs too much.

I looked at the EPA report cited in the OP and found this:

When most or all of the bees in a hive are killed by overexposure to a pesticide, we call that a beekill incident resulting from acute pesticide poisoning. But acute pesticide poisoning of a hive is very different from CCD and is almost always avoidable.

There have been several incidents of acute poisoning of honeybees covered in the popular media in recent years, but sometimes these incidents are mistakenly associated with CCD.
So, what is killing the bees? The EPA doesn't know:

There have been many theories about the cause of CCD, but the researchers who are leading the effort to find out why are now focused on these factors:

increased losses due to the invasive varroa mite (a pest of honeybees);
new or emerging diseases such as Israeli Acute Paralysis virus and the gut parasite Nosema;
pesticide poisoning through exposure to pesticides applied to crops or for in-hive insect or mite control;
bee management stress;
foraging habitat modification
inadequate forage/poor nutrition and
potential immune-suppressing stress on bees caused by one or a combination of factors identified above.
Additional factors may include poor nutrition, drought, and migratory stress brought about by the increased need to move bee colonies long distances to provide pollination services.
So looking at the OP's headline, it appears that the EPA did not and does not know that Monsanto caused CCD.

The United Nations report was summarized in a press release, at www.unep.org... They don't know the cause either:

New kinds of virulent fungal pathogens-which can be deadly to bees and other key pollinating insects-are now being detected world-wide, migrating from one region to another as a result of shipments linked to globalization and rapidly growing international trade

. Meanwhile an estimated 20,000 flowering plant species, upon which many bee species depend for food, could be lost over the coming decades unless conservation efforts are stepped up

. Increasing use of chemicals in agriculture, including 'systemic insecticides' and those used to coat seeds, is being found to be damaging or toxic to bees. Some can, in combination, be even more potent to pollinators, a phenomenon known as the 'cocktail effect'

. Climate change, left unaddressed, may aggravate the situation, in various ways including by changing the flowering times of plants and shifting rainfall patterns. This may in turn affect the quality and quantity of nectar supplies.
So for now, yes, I'm concerned but I don't think enough is known to blame insecticides for the problem. That's why I haven't joined "Occcupy Monsanto."

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The OP headline is directly from the referenced article title as above:

"EPA knew MONSANTO pesticide caused CCD in bee populations"

www.occupylv.org...

A leaked document from January of 2011 demonstrates that the US Environmental Protection Agency knew about the pesticide’s dangers, but ignored them

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's greed that is killing the bees...and butterflies...and other beautiful creatures that live to pollinate the food we live to eat...or eat to live...but Josey Wales said it best...'Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy.'

Greed....short-sightedness devoid of both wisdom and follow-through...hubris...and plain ol' foolishness...the sparkling character traits of our so-called 'leaders.'

THAT's what is killing the bees...oh yeah...don't forget to add bureaucratic delays and time-wasting paper trails...the general inefficiency. of which we Americans seem particularly proficient.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
The OP headline is directly from the referenced article title as above:

"EPA knew MONSANTO pesticide caused CCD in bee populations"

www.occupylv.org...

A leaked document from January of 2011 demonstrates that the US Environmental Protection Agency knew about the pesticide’s dangers, but ignored them

A leaked document? Then to not even provide a pdf or copy of said 'leaked' document... At least wikileaks provides the document. This is just straight up crap...

This is the second time I've been duped by such claims against Monsanto. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with people who make up news stories, just to back of agenda. Even if the initiative behind the duping is just, it is not just to bring forth false information! All it does, when realized, is discredit any movement or opinion that should arise.

ATS members need to do a better job! I expect more, considering the aim is to 'DENY IGNORANCE'!!!!

Where is the denial of ignorance? There is nothing good that results from the testimony of a false witness...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Huh,
how did you get to false witness?

and what about the other half of the title. Are you guys saying United Nations is making false claims, too? or just ignoriing that part because there is lots of evidence there?

LOL

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

BiggerPicture,

Actually, what I'm saying is that neither the EPA or UN reports say that Monsanto is the culprit. They don't even know what the culprit is. While the headline may have been accurately copied from the article, the statements presented don't support it.

Charles1952

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
the two statements in the title and again in the OP:

EPA Knew Monsanto Pesticide Caused Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) in Bee Populations

UN report shows bee population heading nearer to crisis

edit on 16-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Huh,
how did you get to false witness?

and what about the other half of the title. Are you guys saying United Nations is making false claims, too? or just ignoriing that part because there is lots of evidence there?

LOL

The claim was made... and is the title...

"EPA knew MONSANTO caused Colony Collapse Disorder in bee populations" UN Global Bee Crisis 2012

Now, some simple math... 1+1=2

1: Falsehood/Lie

To lie is to hold something which one knows is not the whole truth to be the whole truth, intentionally.

en.wikipedia.org...

1: Testimony

In law and in religion, testimony is a solemn attestation as to the truth of a matter. All testimonies should be well thought out and truthful.

en.wikipedia.org...

=

2. False Witness

Noun 1. false witness - a person who deliberately gives false testimony

www.thefreedictionary.com...

man, the arithmetic of language...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Please allow me to rephrase my comments. The UN "statement" does not say that Monsanto, or even insecticides are the cause of the bee problem. The portion of the press release I pasted in shows at least four different possible causes. Monsanto is not mentioned anywhere in the release.

The EPA article also does not talk about Monsanto but gives many possible explanations that they are researching. The "EPA knew..." headline is hyperbole, unsupported by any information presented. Because that headline is unsupported, the headline for the OP is unsupported.

I'd be willing to review any evidence if you can present it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

What Monsanto is doing, with the support of both the EPA and FDA, goes WAY BEYOND GREED, or FOOLISHNESS, OR IGNORANCE. This fits all too well with their Luciferian plans for Global Depopulation and Agenda 21.

If you remember the Matt Damon film "Good Will Hunting"...Will Hunting was a mathematical genius...and in the film...who wanted to hire him? The NSA of course. One mistake that everyone needs to avoid is underestimating the ENEMY. Virtually nothing that the Gov't does is done in error. The Gov't goes to great extremes to hire the brightest minds the world over. Everything they do is carefully planned and methodically orchestrated. I'll admit..that sometimes things don't always go according to plan because you are dealing with a HUMAN population...but the powers that be have been patient and have been laying their groundwork for at least the last 100 years here in the U.S. They operate and control both political parties to provide the "Illusion" of choice. But the end result will eventually be...GLOBAL DOMINATION.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
re:" the claim was made"

of course a claim was made, how would it be the title of a referenced article unless it was a claim (or statement) made? but made by who though, me? lol when someone quotes something, a claim is made by them?

"ludicrous"

why pretend not to see the quote in the OP title, in the first place?

moving on, here is a new Harvard article published mere days ago, for whoever might be interested:

news.harvard.edu...
"Pesticide tied to bee colony collapse
HSPH research finds effect at low levels"

The likely culprit in sharp worldwide declines in honeybee colonies since 2006 is imidacloprid, one of the most widely used pesticides, according to a new study from the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).

phys.org...
"Use of imidacloprid - common pesticide - linked to bee colony collapse"

Lu and his co-authors hypothesized that the uptick in CCD resulted from the presence of imidacloprid, a neonicotinoid introduced in the early 1990s. The usage of imidacloprid was banned in France before fifteen years ago, in Slovenia before nine years already, and took all this time took the scientists in the USA and Germany to realize it. Imidacloprid is successful and well sold product of Monsanto and Bayer companies.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Of course it was said by Albert Einstein "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live"? And........ well you might well shorten that scenario in modern times. Many more insects have fallen victim to pesticides and displacement of habitat since Albert made that statement. There are only a few crops that self pollinate, the majority must have insects do the pollination if their to go through their complete growth cycle. There are other flying insects that do pollinate, but not as many as you'd think, and in not so vast of an area as Honeybees do. The average honeybee will travel several miles seeking pollen, but usually they limit their area to a mile or less, unless the pollen bearing plants are scant, in which they will travel greater distances. You have scouting bees who locate, come back and do a dance describing distance, type and direction of the sources. The hive bees will then consume enough nutrient to make it one way to that source. At that point, they must have arrived and replenish their energy by consumption or they will not have the energy and ability to fly back to the hive with pollen. It's amazing these little things about bees which the general public knows nearly nothing of. There are not enough insects to pollinate the worlds agriculture or wilds if we loose the honeybee. and as Albert said......... I truly think it would take a couple decades to recover for the honeybee....... and thats with man absent from the planet. Only aquatic plant life that is water related and fish and other aquatic life would not perish of hunger. THIS IS a SERIOUS problem we must face. Dismiss it and go on with business as usual, Monsanto poisoning out habitat, and you can expect famine as sure as I'm typing this. And it will happen quickly and cascade at an alarming rate, virtually too quickly to recover from. The NWO may have just found the solution to population control, right under their noses. Welcome to Cannibalism.... at least for a season or two.......

But in all fairness

opps, I want ahead and removed the link sorry.
....................sorry the link doesn't go where it's supposed to, but what it was about, was that Einstein didn't actually say this quote, it falls more into wives tails, never the less it is true in in basic fact regardless the author.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Monsanto needs to just die.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
And yes, I am a Beekeeper, an apiarist. I have professionally been keeping bees for six years and attend many conferences any educational meetings in the care and management of bees.

They are not just some annoying bug, that you don't want to step on. They are the weakest link in the survival of Man.

And as Devils advocate, here's another take in it..
www.google.com... FL5LAtgfzsJzECQ&usg=AFQjCNFWo4CXz3bBfIvQ-7M_3QnQhdnjMg

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merlin Lawndart
Monsanto needs to just die.
Not only Monsanto but.....

www.google.com... CA&usg=AFQjCNEPKmKAnNUzSSnWmfbcM-hLprWBRA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join