It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin C is Above Top Secret: We all have a MAJOR genetic disease! Three grams of Vitamin C a day

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

www.mayoclinic.com...

Explain why the mayo clinic says you can have too much vitamin c then...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flother

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
what other vitamins does our body need, but not make?

or is it vitamin C only?

we need VItamin D IF we don't get ANY significant sunlight/uv light.

any others?

Vitamin E? we make that?

My humble (or not) take is that (given several parameters related to time, space and civilisation - seriously...) :

Vitamin D + Vitamin C + Magnesium

are a pretty good cocktail to begin with.

Then come vit. B (many different things inthere, B12 interesting), then vit. E, then Selenium (specially for aging persons).

Others stuff not seem to be too rare in today's food & moods than required for our normal (if not ancestral) health (but could be wrong, of course).

---

ETA : Once again, most vital organs are packed with Vitamin C be it 100 or 50 times your *normal* serum levels, - and L-Acid Ascorbic aka Vit. C is available for about 30 U$D per KILOGRAM (2.2 lbs) on the first google resut when just striking in ascorbic acid kg.

edit on 16-4-2012 by Flother because: (no reason given)

i second that...for anyone here serious about your health or turning it around...LOOK to megadosing on the WHOLE vitamin B complex, especially b12 which your body cannot process from food as you get older, Vitamin C, magnesium, and Vitamin D

D is made only by your body when you get enough sun , you get 10K IU in like 30 mins yet the FDA wants you to have 400-600 a day

there is a reason you don't get colds in the summer AND why no one on tv is harping on this stuff daily

wheat is also a POS processed foods bad as sugar

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ehm what can I say, I really dont know what to say about this post, we all know the benefits of vitamin c which comes from erm orange skins,lemon skins and so on, so just eat marmalade, although I get the feeling the op is trying to make the distinction that although much has been published about the benefits of vit c, because we cant produce it we are somehow "Wrong or misfits" oh oh oh I feel another the human race is a virus coming on, I think my brain just melted.

I just realised because I have a 3 ft fence outside my house it needs painted because its not a wall and so must be inferior and on the same token if I were to fit an M3 engine into my renault then it may drive faster but will handle like cotton wool in the wind.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
argue all you want VITAMIN C WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You OP i hope at least some people are wise enough to take such a simple thing and use it to enrich and prolong there lives ...VITAMIN C FTW !!!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Seeing as how we've survived since Lemurs (again, to stress how evolution works..."since our ancestors and the lemurs ancestors diverged" would be the better way to say it)...

...so, seeing as how we've survived all this time prior to the advent of vitamin C in pill form, might I suggest eating raw fruit and dark-green leafy vegetables from time to time...we are omnivores and are not meant to live on fast food and splenda...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

So, to get all these things, forget about these "context-less" pills that we waste our money on and start eating a more balanced diet...

a couple brazil nuts a day will give you all the selenium you need.

a cup of chia seeds will provide a ton of magnesium, as well as Omega 3 and some added protein. I've been eating them almost every day for the last couple of years. They were more expensive (about $14/lb. at wholefoods) when I first stumbled upon them. Nowadays they're cheap at wholefoods, I think I've seen them at a normal grocery store by my house and online they're like $7 or 8/lb.

there's plenty of foods that can just be thrown in here or there. You don't have to prep them or anything, toss them on your salad or pop a few nuts as though they were vitamins. There's no need for all the worry about taking mass produced pills.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I really hope there aren't a bunch of people reading this thread, taking Vitamin C on an empty stomach, and dry heaving in their toilet right now.

I have EBV (Epsteinbarr virus) --- which basically makes my life very difficult in a lot of various ways.

My only cure is vitamin C (Specifically ascorbic acid) --- I will soon be getting an IV of ascorbic acid pumped through me, saturating my body in order to kill this powerful virus I have had for over 5 years now.

2-3 times a week, IV of vitamin C = My last option or I could have this forever.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormmy

LOL should of refered to wiki before post :-) your right megadoses of vital c can result In over absorption of iron also a genetic issue...but the list of cures:
gout
flu
cancer
heart disease
vital c should def in Mega doses be tested more and a more available option for treatment. :-)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Thanks, grandma.

*pops a multi vitamin*

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Why is this thread so popular? Is the fact that vitamin C is good for you news to this many people? I believe it's been common knowledge since the discovery that a teaspoon of lemon juice a day prevents scurvy on ships, haha.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, for filling in the dark corners of information about C. It still seems many people are not actually reading the thread, but just posting "Eat oranges" or "everyone knows we need C." The thread has several main points which I've repeated several times during the day. Please go back and read a few pages. I'll try to summarize again, because it's important:

Every living animal, plant, insect, geese, and other birds, are making ascorbic acid in their bodies every minute of the day. Great Apes, other primates, and Guinea Pigs (poor guinea pigs!) can't make it because the enzyme chain broke long ago. So we need to scrounge for oranges and other C sources just to keep alive, because if we didn't have their minimum C we'd die of scurvy.

So taking a total of a few grams per day, interspersed throughout the day (and yes, eat something or have something in your stomach too) gives the body what it should be having if we didn't have that genetic illness.

Years ago in the U.S. zoos and labs which kept apes were legally required to give them a weight equivalent of 3,600 mgs (3.6 grams) of C every day. This at the same time humans were being told 60mg was sufficient. 60! Now that's criminal, imnho.

Lots of good people have given good data on this thread, so please read it all and do your own research. I am not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV (damn casting agents!), but I do know that, judging from this thread alone on a site with very intelligent people talking to each other, this knowledge is new to most. So what I'm saying is that there is a conspiracy of silence concerning Vitamin C, one joined into by the media, politicians, and the medical and pharma industry.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm pretty old now (going on ninety) and was told by a army doctor to take a teaspoon of vitamin C powder each day. Back then it was sold by the quart jar. Our entire unit was put on this at breakfast six days a week till it became a habit with us. I continued this till this very day. Also had a cancer doctor tell me that sugar feeds cancer and causes clogged arteries. Same doctor tells me that flouride is poisoning most of the country. I'm too old to worry about it now and can't really say what would have happened if I didn't take the vitamin c-- I did cut way back on sweets and sugar but can't say that it prevented anything. I figure its like a guy praying in church to be delivered from being a drunk with a bottle of whiskey in his back pocket. Just ain't gonna happen.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up, because the OP was kinda lacking direction. I wasn't sure if you were re-iterating the health benefits, or going on to something deeper. If it's true that they only recommend that much, guess I'm glad I'm taking a vitamin that has 800% drv, haha. I saw the benefits a few years back when an old gf recommended I try the "Airborne" supplements out. Felt so much energy, and knew that I needed to check out vitamins (before, I always assumed your body wouldn't absorb manufactured nutrients and minerals). There's probably a few v&m's that do pass through your system, vitamin C does not seem to be one of them (at least for me).

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It is said that kiwi fruit,orange and jujube are rich in Vitamin C.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
My chiropractor told me a year or so ago that everyone under 25 should be taking like 2000mg a day or something, double the normal dose when I asked him if he knew of anything natural to help with depression. Vit C is just awesome get the chewable ones if you don't drink or eat something orange (: Florida girl lol

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
cant you just take pure orange juice / eat citrus fruits instead of taking pills for it?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
You need to space out consumption for 2 reasons:

1)Too much and it just flushes through your system unused and wasted.
2)Too much and you can get the runs

I take 600 mg of Ester-C, that plus the orange juice I drink gives me enough.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
ITT: We need vitamins as part of nutritional diet.

Why do I get the increasing impression the US are generations behind the rest of the world on what constitutes a healthy diet diet and lifestyle...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota
reply to post by SuperTripps

So, to get all these things, forget about these "context-less" pills that we waste our money on and start eating a more balanced diet...

a couple brazil nuts a day will give you all the selenium you need.

a cup of chia seeds will provide a ton of magnesium, as well as Omega 3 and some added protein. I've been eating them almost every day for the last couple of years. They were more expensive (about $14/lb. at wholefoods) when I first stumbled upon them. Nowadays they're cheap at wholefoods, I think I've seen them at a normal grocery store by my house and online they're like $7 or 8/lb.

there's plenty of foods that can just be thrown in here or there. You don't have to prep them or anything, toss them on your salad or pop a few nuts as though they were vitamins. There's no need for all the worry about taking mass produced pills.

To further your comment - a lot of people think many of these foods are expensive, but you don't need tons of certain things. The various beneficial compounds in blueberries, for example, can be obtained in full with about 4-5 blueberries a day - makes that $6 pint or whatever it is seem not so bad (especially when most of us will gladly quaf a pint of our favorite beverage at a pub for $6/pint
Nuts: the rule of thumb is that you should eat the amount you would be able to gather in your hand if you were a primitive human (i.e. a handful) - again, $12/lb isn't so bad when you realize you don't need to sit around gorging yourself with $20 worth of cashews in one sitting.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Spicy V8 for lunch and OJ for dinner. I'm good.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join